Advice/information about broken collarbone!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Advice/information about broken collarbone!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
Hello!

this thread is about broken collarbones!

this is how i broke my collarbone!

two days ago i wanted to test my new jump that i did but the jump made me do a half frontflip while i was in the air, i was about 6-9 feet up in the air when i notice that i was going to crash then it was too late and i landed on my shoulder and i broke my collarbone and yea this is the first time im breaking a bone. have anyone broken thier collarbone and how long time did it take to get on the bike again? any advice or information about a broken collarbone? the doctors told me that it will take about six weeks untill the collarbone is full healed but i have heared that i takes about 8 weeks - 6months!? i have waited the whole winter for this season, will it heal before this summer? what did you do when you broke your collarbone?

it have been two days now and i feel better, i can move my arm but not to much but its still broken. :/

All answers are welcome!

Thanks! Smile

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 2:26 Quote
See your doctor often and heed their advice. Keep your arm in a sling, eat right, stay positive, be nice to your mom, watch Mtb videos on how to jump, stay active, and keep up with your MD's appointments to make sure your collarbone is healing properly. Since your doc didn't operate on you the day it happened, it probably( I hope) isn't too bad. Let your body heal itself and you could be back in 3 months. Healing vibes from California(where it's summer all year round)!

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 2:41 Quote
Might want to look into a neck guard in future, expensive but worth if if you have weak bones.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 2:46 Quote
I broke mine middle of Jan had surgery (got it plated) and i only just started riding a road bike about 3 weeks ago. Doctors say 6 months before they consider the bone fully healed but that doesn't mean you will have to wait 6 months to ride a bike. Best thing to do is rest listen to your doctor if you rush back chances are you will do more damage in the long run.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 18:46 Quote
Although I never broke a collarbone, I broke both my right hand and wrist at the same two years ago (late november) so I think I can relate. I had a cast from december to early february and when I got it off I had trouble opening doors... If the healing process is roughly similar you could ''ride'' by the summer but your bone and shoulder will be weak. The first few rides I remember sharp pain when I did bunny hops and such, but it got away with time. All I have to say is don't rush your recovery just to ride bikes because your bone will be weak for another couple months so if you break it again it could lead to something worse. That being said, if you let it heal correctly you won't miss any of the season Smile

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 18:53 Quote
I broke mine pretty badly and got a plate and 7 screws or so.

I was hucking 50 footers a month later.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 19:59 Quote
I broke my left collar bone 8 years ago with no surgery (in Canada doctors normally let it heal on its own, they claim that it'll heal quicker and stronger with less complications) and was riding DH/freeride cautiously again in about 6 weeks I believe. It would ache at times from riding for the first month or so after healing. Once you have been given the okay to ride again make sure to pay attention to what your body is telling you though.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 21:09 Quote
i broke mine along with my right thumb about 3 months ago. it healed in 4-5 weeks. at 4 weeks i was doing just road rides, 5 rides easy xc. 6 to 7 weeks dh again. awkward at first but now im back into it. the the that really pisses me off is my doctors telling me to stop riding my bikelol lol nope

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
SilverbackGorilla wrote:
Might want to look into a neck guard in future, expensive but worth if if you have weak bones.

Neck braces are actually rumored to cause collar bones to break. They protect your neck though which is more important so it's still a good idea.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 16:25 Quote
pm148 wrote:
SilverbackGorilla wrote:

Neck braces are actually rumored to cause collar bones to break. They protect your neck though which is more important so it's still a good idea.
Correct. Mine broke my collarbone when i used to race motocross. But rather that then my neck.

On topic: I was back riding 6 weeks after, however as the bone healed on top of the crack i will always have what looks like a disfigured bone.

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 11:11 Quote
Hi! Big Grin

Thanks for all the advices! they was very helpfull!, its has been 2 weeks now and i can move my whole arm now! Smile , dont feel so much pain but its still not full healed, and this week im going to the doc to see how my bone is then next week im maybe going to test ride my bike again. btw my right shoulder (where i broke my collarbone) looks a bit smaller than my left shoulder is that normal?

Thanks for all the advices,
stay safe and good luck with your riding mates! Big Grin

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
jonus216 wrote:
See your doctor often and heed their advice. Keep your arm in a sling, eat right, stay positive, be nice to your mom, watch Mtb videos on how to jump, stay active, and keep up with your MD's appointments to make sure your collarbone is healing properly. Since your doc didn't operate on you the day it happened, it probably( I hope) isn't too bad. Let your body heal itself and you could be back in 3 months. Healing vibes from California(where it's summer all year round)!

Haha ok thanks for the advice mate! the doc said i can be back on the bike in 6 weeks!
thanks from sweden (where its summer 2-3 months in a year! xD)
good luck with your riding! Big Grin

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 13:17 Quote
Healing vibes. Try to watch my own front flip on YouTube. "Webb canyon bike crash"

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 17:52 Quote
Broke mine in August last year, was back at work mid sept. Hit the hill for closing weekend, didn't really listen to the doctors. Wore my sling about half the time.

Had surgery in December, put in 2 plates and 12 screws. Listened to the doctors this time, wore the sling, are right and slept more. Looks kind of ugly now but it's solid and feels strong. Doesn't ache anymore.

Best advice is listen to the doctors, they know what they're talking about.

How bad did it break? And where along the bone?

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 4:05 Quote
jonus216 wrote:
Healing vibes. Try to watch my own front flip on YouTube. "Webb canyon bike crash"
ok thanks will take a look on it! Big Grin

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.109639
Mobile Version of Website