Beginner XC bike that i can race on?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Beginner XC bike that i can race on?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 6:40 Quote
So currently i am riding a Carrera Banshee 2010 which has 140mm suntour forks that came stock and a few bike shops have said they are actually a good midrange set of forks, nothing for big hitting downhill, but generally. I also have the raidon rear shock from the newer model banshees as the old one bottomed out.
What advice I am looking for are what are my options, i dont have too much cash, but can save up, should i upgrade the carrera? But what should i be looking to get first? I am wanting to race xc with my friend in a month or 2 at hamsterley, I am 15 and about 6 foot. If you can recommend me something under a lower-decent budget, that would be awesome!
Even if there is certain bikes i should keep an eye peeled for incase they come up for sale on various selling sites, just give me help on this!

Thanks in advance, Jake

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 15:39 Quote
theaterix wrote:
So currently i am riding a Carrera Banshee 2010 which has 140mm suntour forks that came stock and a few bike shops have said they are actually a good midrange set of forks, nothing for big hitting downhill, but generally. I also have the raidon rear shock from the newer model banshees as the old one bottomed out.
What advice I am looking for are what are my options, i dont have too much cash, but can save up, should i upgrade the carrera? But what should i be looking to get first? I am wanting to race xc with my friend in a month or 2 at hamsterley, I am 15 and about 6 foot. If you can recommend me something under a lower-decent budget, that would be awesome!
Even if there is certain bikes i should keep an eye peeled for incase they come up for sale on various selling sites, just give me help on this!

Thanks in advance, Jake

I would think along the lines of a Specialized Pitch or Rockhopper.Solid bikes with Race Geometry.
And they don't cost the earth.
Or one of the Cannondale Trail models,preferabely the 3,which could be within your price range.
Best thing to do is try out a few makes before you commit.
Although I don't know what your LBS stock,so see what they have.
But if I was starting out again,the three mentioned would take my interest.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 7:46 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
theaterix wrote:

Thanks in advance, Jake

I would think along the lines of a Specialized Pitch or Rockhopper.Solid bikes with Race Geometry.
And they don't cost the earth.
Or one of the Cannondale Trail models,preferabely the 3,which could be within your price range.
Best thing to do is try out a few makes before you commit.
Although I don't know what your LBS stock,so see what they have.
But if I was starting out again,the two mentioned would take my interest.

I was talking more about FS, as i cant really ride a hardtail after my FS, the ride is just so much stiffer!

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 8:54 Quote
What is your budget?.
Not many budget FS about.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 11:48 Quote
What is your budget?.

I will buy used, i dont mind at all about that! I will have a budget of about £700

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 11:58 Quote
theaterix wrote:
What is your budget?.

I will buy used, i dont mind at all about that! I will have a budget of about £700

Get on Pinkbike.
There is a Nukeproof Mega in your size for £750 ONO
Great bikes,and it looks in good shape

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 5:09 Quote
Have you looked at Boardman bikes?

They have a stigma because they are sold at Halfords but when you actually look at the specs they are far better equipped than the equivalent priced Trek/Specialized etc.

Boardmans also have good quality light weight frames that are an ideal starting point for upgrading to a higher spec bike. My old Boardman HT was thrashed to death through rock gardens and jumps that it wasn't designed for and the only thing to give up after 2 years was the suntour fork.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 5:48 Quote
J-McBride wrote:
Have you looked at Boardman bikes?

They have a stigma because they are sold at Halfords but when you actually look at the specs they are far better equipped than the equivalent priced Trek/Specialized etc.

Boardmans also have good quality light weight frames that are an ideal starting point for upgrading to a higher spec bike. My old Boardman HT was thrashed to death through rock gardens and jumps that it wasn't designed for and the only thing to give up after 2 years was the suntour fork.

Same with my carrera banshee!! Everyone slates it online, but for what ive done with it (trails and some jumps) and for to still be standing (from what people have said about it) in really good condition, is amazing! Think ill take a look at the boardmans, any particular models??

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 6:59 Quote
Carrera and Boardman over a mega,whaaaaaaat!

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 7:30 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
Carrera and Boardman over a mega,whaaaaaaat!
You read my mind Big Grin

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 8:02 Quote
I never said the Mega wasn't a better bike I was just offering another option. Are they not more suited to enduro than XC though?

boardman don't really do a rubbish spec version they all have a reasonable 'starter' spec and I'm sure you can get a used one for less than £700 leaving spare money for upgrades.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 8:05 Quote
J-McBride wrote:
I never said the Mega wasn't a better bike I was just offering another option. Are they not more suited to enduro than XC though?

boardman don't really do a rubbish spec version they all have a reasonable 'starter' spec and I'm sure you can get a used one for less than £700 leaving spare money for upgrades.
the board mans are okay,and as you say the kit on them is pretty good for the price.The mega is a one bike for all occasions really,not really an xc bike,but can be ridden all day.best to have too much bike,than not enough I say.Check my profile of my 2 mega set ups

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 9:12 Quote
I'd have the mega any day over the Boardman

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 9:13 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
J-McBride wrote:

the board mans are okay,and as you say the kit on them is pretty good for the price.The mega is a one bike for all occasions really,not really an xc bike,but can be ridden all day.best to have too much bike,than not enough I say.Check my profile of my 2 mega set ups

Does this mean I can race XC on specialized status

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 9:33 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
J-McBride wrote:

Does this mean I can race XC on specialized status
hell yeh

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024063
Mobile Version of Website