Which bike brand(s) have the best carbon technology?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Which bike brand(s) have the best carbon technology?
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 14:33 Quote
Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading to a 29er carbon xc/trail bike at some point in the near future. I'm considering the SC Tallboy, Pivot Mach 429, Giant Anthem Advanced, Specialized Camber, Devinci Atlas, etc.

I'm wondering which brand(s) (including any that I didn't list above) have the best carbon technology. By the best I'm talking about durability, overall attention to detail and quality control, who has the most advanced manufacturing equipment, that kind of thing.

Who's been making carbon mountain bike frames the longest? Which brand(s) have the best track record?

Thanks for your input.

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 20:58 Quote
There all made in Taiwan

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 21:08 Quote
^ that does not mean they are the same. Please leave your ignorant opinions at home.

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 22:16 Quote
okay well devinci has the best warranty on their carbon but most people are pretty good with the warranty, id say choose a Geo you want then see who is making a bike with similar numbers.

to add something useful

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 23:29 Quote
Just choose the one you like best, they're all going to be more durable than you could possibly need, the only way you will break them is through user error (crashing hard or smashing it against a rock).

Seriously how could any of us know who uses the best carbon construction? As far as I know, no one here works for all these companies or the factories they're built.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 8:18 Quote
From what I've seen, there are some pretty well informed consumers on here. I would guess at least a few of them are engineers that might know a thing or two about carbon construction. But it's not just expert opinions that I'm looking for.

A lifetime warranty would be nice but is not a deal breaker if it doesn't have one. I probably won't own the bike for more than 5 years anyway.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 8:30 Quote
like I said for me Geo always comes first. My experience is Devinci's warranty is tough to beat but I'm also a big fan of Kona bikes and the company and even Niner would be worth considering. There is more to a carbon bike than manufacturing practices. What kind of things do you desire make a list and rank them, like stiffness, durability, maybe what level of carbon is used(high mod, med mod, some combo) but really silverback is right rarely do carbon frames fail due to manufacturer defect.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 12:18 Quote
ripcityBlazer wrote:
like I said for me Geo always comes first. My experience is Devinci's warranty is tough to beat but I'm also a big fan of Kona bikes and the company and even Niner would be worth considering. There is more to a carbon bike than manufacturing practices. What kind of things do you desire make a list and rank them, like stiffness, durability, maybe what level of carbon is used(high mod, med mod, some combo) but really silverback is right rarely do carbon frames fail due to manufacturer defect.
Giant's warranty is lifetime too.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 20:21 Quote
I've been riding a Rocky Mountain Element 970 BC Edition for the last couple of years in conditions probably way beyond its anticipated use - it's been bulletproof.

You might want to consider something like an Instinct along with the others too.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 12:03 Quote
ripcityBlazer wrote:
There all made in Taiwan

No they are not!

Trek offers a lifetime warranty on the frame from manufacturers defects.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 13:56 Quote
but the leading lay-up engineers and carbon manufacturing engineers are all located there. the OP did not inquire about locally made 1off carbon frame companies, but rather the large brands.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 12:57 Quote
nov0798 wrote:
ripcityBlazer wrote:
There all made in Taiwan

No they are not!

Expanding on that... The Madone OCLV Carbon (7 series) frames are made in USA. Not sure how many other OCLV bikes are made in the USA, I think just the highest level frames.

Posted: Apr 23, 2015 at 13:38 Quote
nov0798 wrote:
ripcityBlazer wrote:
There all made in Taiwan

No they are not!

Expanding on that... The Madone OCLV Carbon (7 series) frames are made in USA. Not sure how many other OCLV bikes are made in the USA, I think just the highest level frames.

Most of Treks carbon is made by Giant Bikes. Only their top tier road frames are handmade in their U.S. location and I think some of their mountain bikes are there as well.

I have been on a lot of bikes over the years and as for carbon all the big names heave the BEST warranty, Lifetime warranty. What it comes down to is how long it takes the companies to replace your broken frame, from defect.

I have worked in a shop as a service manager for years and I have dealt with many companies for warranty.
These are my own opinions so don't be an ass with my comments.
Also you MUST have your original or copy of your bill of sales for your bike to make it go through faster.

#1 Specialized (lifetime warranty)- I have had a replacement frame sent on the same day for next day building as long as it was done before 3pm otherwise it would be 2 days. I just emailed them a photo of the damaged area and it was approved.
#2 Giant (lifetime warranty)- they are equally as good. I live in Newmarket Ontario so it takes 5-7 business days for Hugo to send a replacement from the west cost.
#3 Scott (lifetime warranty)- again they are as good as the other 2 yet it takes over a week to arrive fro the states.

Norco, Santa Cruz, Niner, blah, blah, blah they all work well. Just find something that suites your needs and experience.

Now one thing not to be fooled by is the level of carbon that bike brands offer. Santa Cruz has one level of carbon and they make GOOD bikes! no question about it and that is why most of their carbon it $6000+ for a built bike.
Some other brands have multiple levels of carbon.
Now when a company has multiple levels in laymen terms, it means from a basic carbon the layup pattern is less precise ( meaning more carbon fro extra weight) taking less time to build. A more advanced carbon is the same as the first yet the layup pattern in exact using less carbon in exact areas yet still offering the same if not more stiffness then in the basic frame.
Read up on specialized FACT carbon and also Giant Advanced Carbon.
I could go on all day about different feels of bikes yet I will tell you to look up the explanations from all the big brands and most of them say the same thing.

So were am I going with this?
1st buy for the warranty.
2nd buy for your price point.
3rd buy what bike looks the best to your eyes. remember your the one riding it!
4th. if there is a geo that you are looking for then go for it.

Posted: Apr 23, 2015 at 19:10 Quote
^ Great post! Thanks for the advice/suggestions everyone.

I'm going to test ride as many bikes as I can to get a feel for what geometery I like the most.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006434
Mobile Version of Website