Going Flat...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 19:40 Quote
Any tips, suggestions, anecdotes for me? After a decade of 100% SPD pedals, I'm considering going back to platforms. I ride xc/all mountain style, and there are no real mountains where I live. I ride super aggressive, and before I went to SPD, I was pretty proficient at staying on the pedals. I had a proper bunny hop, and getting in the air was no problem... BUT, I'm 10 years older now (39 in May), and I've gotten spoiled on clipping in.

I'd love to hear some feedback and opinions!

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 6:35 Quote
Several months ago I got ahold of a single speed with flats, and thought I would soon end up switching to SPD or Power Grip straps, but then changed my mind. What changed my mind was the studs on the flats. They stick to the bottoms of my shoes way better than I expected and help noticeably when bunnyhopping up ledges. I do a lot of slower, rock garden, technical stuff and it's nice to be able to bail off without having to extricate my feet from SPD's or straps. On the down side, if your foot DOES slip off the pedal, the studs will leave nice divots in your shins.

Nothing is perfect, but personally I would rather deal with the flats than occasionally falling over in rock gardens. For XC on tame trails some sort of pedal retention IS nice, but in super techy terrain I wanna be able to just jump off, so I guess my advice is: slow/techy=studed flats, fast XC=SPD.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 7:16 Quote
Biggest piece of advice, don't cheap out on the shoes! I have now been riding flats exclusively for 5 years and in the last 4 I have not slipped a pedal once. This includes lots of DH, an entire BC Bike Race and regular trail/XC. The key change for me was when I moved from old skate shoes to 5.10 Impacts. They are super sticky and you will notice a large difference in grip. Get a reasonable set of pedals with metal pins and the combo will be great.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 10:48 Quote
Sweet, guys thanks for the feedback! I was considering saint pedals and some 5/10 shoes...

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 3:41 Quote
I consider 5.10s to be essential for riding flats there's just no comparison to other shoes.

Saint pedals are spot on, value for money you can't go wrong. My brother runs them with 5.10s and loves them.
Personally I prefer my nukeproof ones but as they are over double the price the saints are Definetly the logical choice.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 5:12 Quote
Cool, yeah I'm gonna grab the gear and go for it.... I ride about 50/50 fast xc and technical singletrack. No huge descents where I'm at...

Posted: May 4, 2015 at 9:27 Quote
MilesDyson wrote:
Sweet, guys thanks for the feedback! I was considering saint pedals and some 5/10 shoes...

Yes ^^^ I ride 5.10 Freeriders with Saint pedals and my feet seem to be glued on! I ride pretty technical stuff and I've had no problems with the setup, I did however take out the spacers under the pins to raise them from the platform a bit higher on the pedals though.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2015 at 10:59 Quote
'preciate the advice, Acorn!

Posted: May 4, 2015 at 23:02 Quote
5.10's are essential yes, but definitely go with a slimmer pedal than the Saints. Spank Oozy or Spikes are the best of all the flats I've ridden. I tried HT AE01's and they were good, but a bit too narrow. Spanks have incredible grip, much better clearance than thicker pedals, and are wider for your foot to stay planted on.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2015 at 9:43 Quote
5 10 with saints has been a winner in my book for the past year. you can also increase the length of the pins by removing a washer.

Posted: May 5, 2015 at 12:05 Quote
I 100% AGREE with using fiveten shoes !!!!
I use the Impacts and the grip and comfort are amazing...

I will add one thing to the mix....
Straitline pins are the most incredible pins ever made for grip and especially DURABILITY !!!!!!!
I'm talking hits on rocks that would easily ruin any screw type/set screw pin?? The Straitline pins do more damage to the rock then the rock does to the pinstup

if you ride in a lot of rocky terrain?? they can't be beat !!! trust me on this..

I also agree with the thinner type pedals are BETTER...... the thicker pedals seem to roll over sometimes as you are climbing?? IMO

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008075
Mobile Version of Website