27.5" fork on a 26" frame with 26"wheels

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
27.5" fork on a 26" frame with 26"wheels
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2015 at 18:10 Quote
I was just wondering can you run a fork made for 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame with the 26" wheels still?
What would be the downsides of doing so?

Thank you

Posted: May 3, 2015 at 0:51 Quote
the 650b fork has a longer axel to crown than the equivalent 26". It would raise the front end of the bike and the bb a bit and slacken the head tube angle.
Whether or not it's detrimental to how the bike rides, is hard to say without all the information, but it probably won't make much of a difference.

Posted: May 3, 2015 at 4:13 Quote
Dude, that's gonna make the bike flip end over end and explode in flames!
Other than that you should be okay... It will just steer a little different. Probably a bit more stable at higher speeds, but not as easy to negotiate tight, switchback turns. Might handle downhill a little bit better. Might also give you cancer, though, I dunno...Wink

Posted: May 3, 2015 at 9:06 Quote
Thanks guys,

Ill look up what the axle to crown difference is, Its for a dj bike so I don't want that to be too much higher.... but I can get a really good deal on a 650B fork. So we'll have to see haha

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 15:43 Quote
rbod957 wrote:
Thanks guys,

Ill look up what the axle to crown difference is, Its for a dj bike so I don't want that to be too much higher.... but I can get a really good deal on a 650B fork. So we'll have to see haha

Did you ever do this? I like the thought of putting a long travel double crown 650b fork on an already slacked out DH bike. Just wondering what your experiences were, and how much this changed the wheelbase of the bike if you did it.

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 18:49 Quote
My buddy rides this setup on his carbon stump jumper. The added height raked out the fork a bit more but kept the travel the same as stock. It actually handles incredibly well, very stable and the turn in is very impressive.

Posted: Oct 30, 2015 at 10:58 Quote
TieMyShoe wrote:
My buddy rides this setup on his carbon stump jumper. The added height raked out the fork a bit more but kept the travel the same as stock. It actually handles incredibly well, very stable and the turn in is very impressive.

I've been thinking about this with a Devinci Wilson. Sell my Boxxer WC and get a 650b fork of the same travel. I figure the HT angle will gain a bit. If ever I do it, I'll do the math and let everyone know what the respective geometry changes are.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
Bump.

Thinking about doing this as well. Fox 36 650b 160mm to a 100mm 26” wheel DJ fork. Figured it’ll work fine but any experience would help.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
I play with this setup all the time on my older hardtails, works fine.

It seems a headangle spacer is available to increase the axle to crown fork height
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/reverse-components-2020-bike-hacks-collection-pond-beaver-2020.html

So clearly a want for some to increase the front end height. Sticking a 27.5 fork on a 26er
is no different than running longer travel 26 forks in some cases, though now you have the
option to run a 27.5 wheel also in mullet config.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 19:18 Quote
I am thinking of doing that on my small hardtail with 26" wheels have a through quick-release axle and I am wondering if I just buy the 27.5 forks will I have to buy a spacer or anything or not? from the sounds of things it seems to handle well and carry a lot of speed so well give it a go. if I mess it up then I'm stuffed and ill sell it but I don't think I will. any tips though? will it work with untapered head tube? sounds fun and please if you've got any pictures reply to this comment with em or private message them to me on pinkbike. thanks

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 2:12 Quote
Your front end will be half an inch taller. Not much difference.

rbod957 wrote:
I was just wondering can you run a fork made for 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame with the 26" wheels still?
What would be the downsides of doing so?

Thank you

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Just saw Matt Jones video with 27.5” fork and 26” wheels. He lowered his 27.5” 100 fork to 90mm to drop his front end some. Said it’s nice.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005708
Mobile Version of Website