Banshee Darkside Thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
Banshee Darkside Thread
Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 2:45 Quote
Thanx for the feedback. I've got a Dorado up front and am planning on keeping it. If i'm able to get me a Darkside, i might get a SC fork as well and switch between them as i see fit. Smile
I'm pretty sure it does well on the going-down. I just seek a comparison regarding pedalling on flat and uphill. I've got no intention to race it on XC, i've pedaled uphill with the Sunday and am used to being slower than other people with lighter bikes. The plan is also to get an air shock with some king of a switchable platform, i've got an air shock on the Sunday now without a platform and when powering on the saddle, it's not bobbing like crazy. If the Darkside is at least the same, i'm sold! Smile
But i just want someone to share expirience. Smile

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 2:58 Quote
The Darkside was never designed with pedalling in mind, they pedal alright but don't expect it to pedal like an enduro bike. I would consider other bikes if you want to take enduro more seriously, but to be fair I have monster truck tyres on mine, super soft rear end with low tyre pressure so it might just be that.

Downhill they are awesome fun, super playful and responsive but still stable enough for technical tracks. I do push runs a lot and sometimes pedal up, if you get a shock with pedal mode like the CCDB Air CS it will pedal fairly well for a bike of that travel. I weigh f*ck all and unfortunately don't ride mine enough so can't comment too much on durability of those shocks.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 7:11 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
The Darkside was never designed with pedalling in mind, they pedal alright but don't expect it to pedal like an enduro bike. I would consider other bikes if you want to take enduro more seriously, but to be fair I have monster truck tyres on mine, super soft rear end with low tyre pressure so it might just be that.

Downhill they are awesome fun, super playful and responsive but still stable enough for technical tracks. I do push runs a lot and sometimes pedal up, if you get a shock with pedal mode like the CCDB Air CS it will pedal fairly well for a bike of that travel. I weigh f*ck all and unfortunately don't ride mine enough so can't comment too much on durability of those shocks.
As stated earlier, i don't plan on doing enduro races with it. Or if i do (cause here in Bulgaria they started a pretty good enduro-series), i will be aware of it being a tank and will not be angry with it. Right now i ride my Sunday as an everyday bike and it gets from everything - xc, am, dh. It has a -3 angleset so it's pretty slack and it's a beast on the DH. But it's already too much bike for me - i just want to get something a little bit more alive in the not-so-DH-worthy situations. You get what i mean? I still want to keep my Dorado, the 12x150 rear wheel and my 83mm Saint crankset - since there are no enduro-frames that can get along with these parts, i've pointed my eyes to the Darkside. Smile

EDIT: Also, i'm 5'8'/171-172cm tall. I find my M Sunday a perfect fit when seated, but a little short wen on the pedals (does that mean he reach is short for me???). What would your size reccomendations be for me regarding a Darkside? M or L?

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
I would get Medium if i were you. I am 5'10-11 179cm and i am on Large and it's perfect. Obviously keeping Dorado and planning to pedal uphill is a rough combo but you seem pretty locked on both so that's your choice. You can always sell Dorado later and buy some 180mm fork, that would work much better. There are few pedal-friendly Darkside builds around and this is the shock you're after:
https://www.canecreek.com/store/suspension/double-barrel/dbair-cs

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 7:46 Quote
I have a 180 talas and the CCDB air climb switch, and I would say it pedals really well if you compare to any of my previous bikes all with similar travel numbers

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 10:47 Quote
DuelingBanjos wrote:
I would get Medium if i were you. I am 5'10-11 179cm and i am on Large and it's perfect. Obviously keeping Dorado and planning to pedal uphill is a rough combo but you seem pretty locked on both so that's your choice. You can always sell Dorado later and buy some 180mm fork, that would work much better. There are few pedal-friendly Darkside builds around and this is the shock you're after:
What stem do you have that makes the L size perfect for your height? As far as pedalling with the Dorado, remember i'm already doing it with it mounted on a Sunday. It's all about the fun factor, nobody's chasing times and wins. Smile And i'd probably keep it as it's a rather unique example - coil-converted, with MRD crowns and dropouts. Smile

pevensey wrote:
I have a 180 talas and the CCDB air climb switch, and I would say it pedals really well if you compare to any of my previous bikes all with similar travel numbers
I just want a comparison with a Sunday, if someone has expirience with one. Smile

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 0:41 Quote
hitarpotar wrote:
DuelingBanjos wrote:
What stem do you have that makes the L size perfect for your height? As far as pedalling with the Dorado, remember i'm already doing it with it mounted on a Sunday. It's all about the fun factor, nobody's chasing times and wins. Smile And i'd probably keep it as it's a rather unique example - coil-converted, with MRD crowns and dropouts. Smile

pevensey wrote:
I just want a comparison with a Sunday, if someone has expirience with one. Smile

Race Face Atlas FR, 50mm. Darkside's reach is 438mm, that's what makes it perfect for my height. No more searching for that sweet spot position on the bike, way less work compared to old bike that had reach of 415mm. Less than 2,5 cm of difference after all but it's very noticeable, just like with snowboards.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 6:51 Quote
DuelingBanjos wrote:
Race Face Atlas FR, 50mm. Darkside's reach is 438mm, that's what makes it perfect for my height. No more searching for that sweet spot position on the bike, way less work compared to old bike that had reach of 415mm. Less than 2,5 cm of difference after all but it's very noticeable, just like with snowboards.
What was your previous bike with the 415mm reach? In what position do you ride your bike?
I've checked the measurements of the Sunday and the Darkside. Both frames in M size have identical TT at around 597mm, the Darkside in L has 627mm i think. The real difference is in the reach: M Sunday has 377mm, M Darkside has 410mm, L Darkside has 438mm (as you stated). Does the reach play its role only when you're standing up on the pedals? Is such a big difference in the reach between M Sunday and L Darkside going to be a problem?
I usually have my body pretty backwards on the bike when on a serious DH course and my weight is almost completely on the back wheel. And yet, i don't plan to ride a Darkside only on the downs, i plan to pedal up a little bit. Smile In these cases, is a big reach a disadvantage? Smile

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 6:04 Quote
Might be worth checking out Vitalmtb - I noticed a few people with Dorado equippee darksides, they might have a better idea of how it pedals

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
I sold my darkside last spring with a dorado. The bike was awesome on the downs, but coming from a Rune before the darkside, I can honestly say it wasn't something you'd want to pedal much. I had a totem on it before the dorado and it pedalled better, but it wasn't a Rune

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 10:25 Quote
Thanx for the shared expirience and given advice, but i've decided to keep the dh-dream alive - bought a 2016 dh-frame and will just swap everything from the Sunday.

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 23:42 Quote
abackvall wrote:
Cracked my darkside a couple of months ago, has anyone of you guys had the same experience?
m-boltz wrote:
yup, just got a warranty frame, where did you crack it?
Where did your frames cracked?
Here are some more pictures of a cracked Darkside -> https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/85760
Did your frames cracked the same place?

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 1:49 Quote
TattPat wrote:
abackvall wrote:
Cracked my darkside a couple of months ago, has anyone of you guys had the same experience?
m-boltz wrote:
yup, just got a warranty frame, where did you crack it?
Where did your frames cracked?
Here are some more pictures of a cracked Darkside -> https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/85760
Did your frames cracked the same place?

Yup! My frame cracked at the same place as yours!

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 14:21 Quote
Hmm. I cracked my Rune around the same place, top of the shock mount, but that was on the older design that had three points of attachment of the mount to the downtube. Hope that doesn't happen to my Darkside.

Posted: Oct 15, 2017 at 20:07 Quote
Hi, Guys. This is my first time posting on this forum.
Just want to share my Banshee Darkside in 650B and AM setup.

Spec:
FRAME: Banshee Darkside, size S, 650B
SHOCK: CCDB Air
FORK: Rockshox Pike, travel 160mm
HANDLEBAR: Sixpack Leader, 750mm
STEM: Dartmoor Shorty, 32 mm
GRIP: Supacaz
BRAKESET: Shimano XT M8000, 180mm rotor
SHIFTER: Sram X1, 1x11 speed
RD: Sram X1, 1x11 speed
CRANK: Raceface Atlas FR, chainring narrow-wide Alpha 34T
CHAIN: Shimano XTR
PEDAL: HT AE01
SEATPOST: Fox Transfer, travel 150mm
SADDLE: WTB Volt
WHEELSET: Crankbrothers Iodine 2, 650B
TIRE: Schwalbe Magic Marry (F), Schwalbe Hans Dampf (R)

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020972
Mobile Version of Website