2016 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2016 Stumpjumper
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 21:36 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:
I'm only running four bands on my monarch.

Do you jump a lot?

I set up my stuff to be supple in the beginning stroke and really ramp up near the end to prevent bottoming on big hits. I think I'm at 8 bands on my Stumpjumper ... then again, I ride it like an Enduro.
I only weight 150lbs
4 bands, 200psi, rebound dampening five clicks out from full.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 22:17 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
I only weight 150lbs

I'm a few pounds shy of 150. It really depends on riding style and feel though.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 22:27 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:
I only weight 150lbs

I'm a few pounds shy of 150. It really depends on riding style and feel though.
im guessing a lot to do with where you're riding vs where I am. Out of curiosity, what's your setup like with eight bands? Pressure etc.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 22:40 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
im guessing a lot to do with where you're riding vs where I am. Out of curiosity, what's your setup like with eight bands? Pressure etc.

Typically around 225psi for trail riding, 250 for when I ride street. 5 clicks out also.

To be fair the bands make less of a difference than say ... a token in an air fork. I think RS recommends trying bands in groups of 2, since you're unlikely to feel one band of difference. There was a pb article plotting air spring curves with varying bands, and they were all very close to each other.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 23:01 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

Typically around 225psi for trail riding, 250 for when I ride street. 5 clicks out also.

To be fair the bands make less of a difference than say ... a token in an air fork. I think RS recommends trying bands in groups of 2, since you're unlikely to feel one band of difference. There was a pb article plotting air spring curves with varying bands, and they were all very close to each other.
Thanks man, I'll give that a shot. I could always use a more plush shock. I remember seeing that as well, and was surprised by how small of a change each band caused.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 23:03 Quote
holshot59 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:
madThehatter wrote:

Why though? What's the reasoning for it being better?
More traction, more supportive, more supple off the top and easier to adjust the end stroke ramp. I'm not blowing through travel like I was with the fox.

I just got a DVO topaz and am seeing the same results as your Monarch.

How are you liking it compared to stock? By chance have you ridden a monarch? Also, does a water bottle still fit. Lol

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 11:56 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

Do you jump a lot?

I set up my stuff to be supple in the beginning stroke and really ramp up near the end to prevent bottoming on big hits. I think I'm at 8 bands on my Stumpjumper ... then again, I ride it like an Enduro.

With this many bands why not run the standard volume air can?

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 18:30 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
holshot59 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

More traction, more supportive, more supple off the top and easier to adjust the end stroke ramp. I'm not blowing through travel like I was with the fox.

How are you liking it compared to stock? By chance have you ridden a monarch? Also, does a water bottle still fit. Lol

It's def a step up. The mid stroke wallow the stock ctd had is gone. Small bump sensitivity is very good. I'm still experimenting with the bands in both chambers. Never rode a monarch. Water bottle looks to be a no go that's on a large frame.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 20:43 Quote
holshot59 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:
holshot59 wrote:

It's def a step up. The mid stroke wallow the stock ctd had is gone. Small bump sensitivity is very good. I'm still experimenting with the bands in both chambers. Never rode a monarch. Water bottle looks to be a no go that's on a large frame.
Unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me. I've gotten too used to riding without a pack.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 21:58 Quote
sra1218 wrote:

I've considered it, and I actually do have the Autosag can. The bike came with the Debonair can installed, so I just left it. Bands are easier to install than the entire Autosag can ... plus I've hated every Autosag shock I've come across.

Truthfully it'd probably ride about the same.

Meyercord wrote:
Unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me. I've gotten too used to riding without a pack.

You know you can run a water bottle with a Monarch right? Easy mod, couple pages back...

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 7:45 Quote
does anyone know the part number for the correct volume reducers for the stock Fox CTD?

I have 3 x white reducers from a previous CTD (2013 I think) but they don't fit.
They are part number 13-803-00-612

Thanks

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 12:59 Quote
tf02 wrote:
sra1218 wrote:

I've considered it, and I actually do have the Autosag can. The bike came with the Debonair can installed, so I just left it. Bands are easier to install than the entire Autosag can ... plus I've hated every Autosag shock I've come across.

Truthfully it'd probably ride about the same.

Meyercord wrote:

You know you can run a water bottle with a Monarch right? Easy mod, couple pages back...
I run a water bottle with my monarch without the mod currently.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 18:43 Quote
Meyercord wrote:

Oh neat, short bottle or something?

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 23:10 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

Oh neat, short bottle or something?
Normal specialized bottle.

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 18:43 Quote
sra1218 wrote:
tf02 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

Do you jump a lot?

This confuses me a bit also... not sure why people get the larger debonair with FSR? ...then try to reduce volume with bands.

I just picked up an Autosag Monarch for a great deal. Got sick of waiting for the Ohlins for right now.
Still tuning it in. Hard to get much ride time for me this time of year, too much mud.
Just went to an MRP fork also, and this bike is feeling buttery!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015503
Mobile Version of Website