Something old, some things new!

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Something old, some things new!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 22:14 Quote
My basic idea was just to have an interesting machine.....maybe a few hard-to-find-bits, but mostly just radically different in it's own way.Nothing to take abuse, or get beaten on - just a sunday cruiser - good for a smile, and a bit of reminiscing about this wonderful sport that has been a part of my life for a couple decades.....

I built this simply because I could! Parts list below.

All in all, it's a weird bike to ride now. The URT climbs like it's on a mission, but is strange when just pedaling through the trails. Every hint of movement in the rear end creates a long-wheelbase condition that sucks the pedals back and up from where they were before. It works just fine, but it seems very odd after being on a host of newer machines that do most things much more efficiently. The fork is typical old-Manitou feel. Even though it's been rebuilt and is in great condition, performance pales in comparison to the newer technology. Brakes are early Hayes. Pretty much the only option for this old girl, as she's a 22mm rear mount. Grafted together a couple sets of the different generations to get the look I wanted. They work good though, considering what they are! Squeaky front, but that's no biggie! The Airlines however, continue to perform flawlessly, even after 15 years. It's unreal. Shifting is silent, quick, and never misses.

All strange things aside, the new bits are definitely noticeable. Carbon cockpit (first time I've used carbon bits), has incredible response, and feels super sexy. The Maxxis Ardents (2.2) roll incredibly fast, and seem like they'd stick to the underside of the moon...mated to the nifty twin-spoke wheels, the whole package accelerates beautifully, and has looks to boot. Yip, it's an oddball. It feels weird, looks weird, and really isn't a performer anymore.....but it really makes me giggle, and I know I'll never see another like her.

Frame: 2000 Klein Mantra, Large
Fork: Manitou Millennium #155
Drivetrain: Shimano Airlines #0248, Dura-ace HG7701, Raceface Turbine 32T/Light bashguard, Xpedo Spry pedals
Brakes: Hayes G1 purple calipers(NOS), Hayes Nine Carbon masters
Wheels: Crank Brothers Iodine 2, 26"/Maxxis Ardent 2.2 Tubeless (Stan's), Shimano SLX RT66 rotor
Cockpit: RF Next bar/seatpost, Thomson Elite X4 stem, King Nothreadset, Bel Air 2.0 Ti saddle

See ya on the trails!

Posted: Aug 8, 2015 at 21:09 Quote
dood wrote:
My basic idea was just to have an interesting machine.....maybe a few hard-to-find-bits, but mostly just radically different in it's own way.Nothing to take abuse, or get beaten on - just a sunday cruiser - good for a smile, and a bit of reminiscing about this wonderful sport that has been a part of my life for a couple decades.....

I built this simply because I could! Parts list below.

All in all, it's a weird bike to ride now. The URT climbs like it's on a mission, but is strange when just pedaling through the trails. Every hint of movement in the rear end creates a long-wheelbase condition that sucks the pedals back and up from where they were before. It works just fine, but it seems very odd after being on a host of newer machines that do most things much more efficiently. The fork is typical old-Manitou feel. Even though it's been rebuilt and is in great condition, performance pales in comparison to the newer technology. Brakes are early Hayes. Pretty much the only option for this old girl, as she's a 22mm rear mount. Grafted together a couple sets of the different generations to get the look I wanted. They work good though, considering what they are! Squeaky front, but that's no biggie! The Airlines however, continue to perform flawlessly, even after 15 years. It's unreal. Shifting is silent, quick, and never misses.

All strange things aside, the new bits are definitely noticeable. Carbon cockpit (first time I've used carbon bits), has incredible response, and feels super sexy. The Maxxis Ardents (2.2) roll incredibly fast, and seem like they'd stick to the underside of the moon...mated to the nifty twin-spoke wheels, the whole package accelerates beautifully, and has looks to boot. Yip, it's an oddball. It feels weird, looks weird, and really isn't a performer anymore.....but it really makes me giggle, and I know I'll never see another like her.

Frame: 2000 Klein Mantra, Large
Fork: Manitou Millennium #155
Drivetrain: Shimano Airlines #0248, Dura-ace HG7701, Raceface Turbine 32T/Light bashguard, Xpedo Spry pedals
Brakes: Hayes G1 purple calipers(NOS), Hayes Nine Carbon masters
Wheels: Crank Brothers Iodine 2, 26"/Maxxis Ardent 2.2 Tubeless (Stan's), Shimano SLX RT66 rotor
Cockpit: RF Next bar/seatpost, Thomson Elite X4 stem, King Nothreadset, Bel Air 2.0 Ti saddle

See ya on the trails!

Pretty sweet bike alright, I like the uppgrades. I actually saw one of those funky looking Kleins - though it was bone stock - a few weeks ago on a bike path I often ride on.

Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
Sweet, I love the Kleins. The Mantra was always a bit of an odd duck even when they were selling new but I always thought they looked pretty cool. Were did you find the 22mm Hayes rear brake?

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 21:34 Quote
Can you give more detailed shots of the airlines? That bit is the one that impressed me most!!

Sweet build never the less

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
Just a quick update.....5 years on.

Airlines still performing flawlessly......probly the best thing Shimano ever built! Have been through a few sets of brake pads, but everything else is still mint - aside from a bit of mud!

I think the original Fox Float *may* be nearing the end of it's useable life, but they no longer make a 7.785X2.5" shock......so we'll see what happens there; might have to ask them about a rebuild....

Put about 50Km on the ol' girl in the last week or so, and it's just an absolute dream for an old dork like me - I can put my butt in the saddle and just pedal.....she does the rest. It's really where this thing excels. Just sit down and send it....

My SX trail isn't nearly as nice to ride - just on pure speed alone!

Either way, stay safe out there; and enjoy every minute you can!

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
Maybe you can get away using offset bushings?? I’m sure they still do 2.5” shocks

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 2:23 Quote
The only issue is the length vs. stroke. Nothing in that setup is available. At his point, the goal is a relatively similar length.... shorter stroke; it ends up being in the same 'neighborhood' as the original.... but obviously, we'll see the usable travel decrease, no big deal.

Keep in mind, she was a Manitou SX 100mm from the factory. Rear was always 7". All we're doing here is reducing travel out back. ~6ish instead of 7. Ride height (NOT TRAVEL - out back) doesn't change AT ALL. Fork height is taller, bit more travel. Overall, maybe a 1-1.5* change in head angle....from original. (current)

I think it's a good deal. Keep the same head angle, same ride height, and have a bit less travel - but with WAY more adjustments.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 4:50 Quote
Well if you find a slightly longer shock, with the same stroke, by using offset bushings you might be able to get away with it.

But seems you have it sorted!!

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
The Klein Mantra was my first big ticket full suspension bike.

I had a yellow Mantra which i loved but always tried to kill me on the trails so i decided to make it into a city cruiser by putting a rigid fork on it and converting it to a single speed. It was like a couch on wheels! That is, until it was stolen.

Glad you are having a great time with yours. It looks cool as heck.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
Thanks dude!

I'm just taken aback daily on what complex, yet simple mechanical thing it is to enjoy. Would LOVE to see pictures of yours!

Posted: 5 hours ago Quote
Love it man. That mantra is an awesome piece. I’m rebuilding a 2091 Rocky Mountain element team and a 2001 specialized fsr Stumpjumper. Two bikes I love when I was younger. So I get your mission. I also own a BRC limelight from my 1990s courier days. Finding parts is getting harder but it’s an awesome street bike!!!

Cheers

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007329
Mobile Version of Website