Why can't I manual

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Why can't I manual
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 21:22 Quote
watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWnV4RDzkU

the key is to pump your hips straight down, then back until your arms lock out.

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 23:52 Quote
fanto wrote:
watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWnV4RDzkU

the key is to pump your hips straight down, then back until your arms lock out.

Yes I watch these guys every chance I get, over and over. I only ever rode a MTB last november for the first time Smile
But I get really scared when the front lifts and I don't know what I do - a reaction and back down it comes.

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 at 10:01 Quote
just practicing tip to see bow the wheels goes up. stand on ground with hands on both grips, so both feet ate on ground on one the non drive side. YOU are NOT straddling the frame with crotch.

now bend a little at knees. push forward forcefuly on bars. the front wheel will lift.

now try while riding bu try and get push with your hips throuhh the pedals at same time. i don' think you need to pull back on your bars.

Posted: Mar 24, 2016 at 12:38 Quote
Push your chest down to the bars, then go straight back with you body keeping your arms straight. Kinda like an L shaped movement. Weight down, then back. After I saw that visual in GMBN video I got a lot better.

After practicing a ton on my 650b bike and hopped back on bmx I was a lot better on bmx. Practice on 29er then go to 650b??

Posted: Apr 19, 2016 at 14:42 Quote
sentenced2life wrote:
Have your seat as low as possible . You won't be Able to do it if it's a Xc bike. Put your weight as far back as possible and like hangover behind rear axle. Then pump your legs and like push your heels towards the handlebar as you lean back.

Why cant it be done with a XC bike? Geometry?

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2016 at 15:21 Quote
sentenced2life wrote:
Have your seat as low as possible . You won't be Able to do it if it's a Xc bike. Put your weight as far back as possible and like hangover behind rear axle. Then pump your legs and like push your heels towards the handlebar as you lean back.

That's simply not true. My friend wheelies an XC bike around the block with the seat up.

Don't blame your poor technique on the bike.

Posted: Apr 19, 2016 at 15:28 Quote
Neechy wrote:
sentenced2life wrote:

That's simply not true. My friend wheelies an XC bike around the block with the seat up.

Don't blame your poor technique on the bike.

Manual doesn't not equal wheelie, anyone can crank a wheelie pretty easily for a good distance.

Posted: Jul 8, 2016 at 17:54 Quote
stolo17 wrote:
Push your chest down to the bars, then go straight back with you body keeping your arms straight. Kinda like an L shaped movement. Weight down, then back. After I saw that visual in GMBN video I got a lot better.

After practicing a ton on my 650b bike and hopped back on bmx I was a lot better on bmx. Practice on 29er then go to 650b??

This is the best advice ever. I have been trying to get my front wheel up for 3 weeks. Today I almost looped out. Never been so happy to almost wreck on my bike.

Posted: Jul 11, 2016 at 3:47 Quote
minus8 wrote:
How well can you wheelie? I suspect you're probably in the (very common) situation whereby your weight isn't actually as far back as you think it is.

If you can, get your hands on a smaller bike, drop the seat and just practice trying to manual so hard that you flip right back, jump off and on to your feet.

Make sure the change in weight distribution is coming from your hips, not your forearms. Other than that it's just practice!

Pretty much describes the number one reason people don't manual well.

When you drop your weight back and think you've dropped it back enough, drop it back more. It will seem a bit exaggerated but that's where you need to be.

As also mentioned, drop the saddle. Also, always have a finger on Your brake levers in case things go bad you have instant braking access.

Short stays help. Sort stem too. Depends on your set up.

Posted: Jul 11, 2016 at 17:56 Quote
I'm in the same boat. I have little problem popping a manual and I'm on a 29er with a pretty long chainstay. I feel I really need to hang over the rear though to find it. Problem I'm having is developing that muscle memory to hit the rears when I feel I'm about to loop out. Instead, all my attention is focused on finding that balance point. Does anyone have the same problem? I have put riser bars and a 50mm stem on to help the process. That definitely worked!

Posted: Mar 4, 2017 at 0:09 Quote
Just thought I'd update ... first started mtb at 35yo Smile
A year on and so near yet so far! Every 10-20 attempts I do I get one 1m manual (I only count the ones when I'm at or past that balancing point)
Two things hampering it
1. Fear! Trying on grass to get it 360 degrees but the ones that didn't work I didn't kick hard enough or didn't put the bum low enough. Will try to learn to add "bum back" into the kick hard + bum low. Brain can't seem to get all three together due to fear.
2. Fitness. Very tiring, every couple of attempts and my legs are burning. Left hand blisters all over!

Not sure if I'll ever do it but that ain't stopping me trying Smile

Posted: Nov 18, 2017 at 9:02 Quote
Little thread ressurection, kinda'.

I've been working on my "manuals" recently and found that shooting the front end forward with your arms and making sure your arms/elbows end up slightly above your shoulders, like you're riding a motorcycle with ape hangers, as you pull make a big difference.

That and I get in a relaxed head space, every time I really "try" I pull on the bars, which pulls your weight back over the front, and sends that front wheel straight back to earth. Every time I relax and try and flow with the bike as it loops out it works a lot better.

For reference, I'm learning how to manual on a size large YT Tues AL, 27.5 wheels, with 8" of travel front and back. I can definitely get it to loop out and when I'm in the right head space the front wheel really just floats. So don't let the bike you're on stop you, I can't imagine it being any more horrible than trying on a downhill bike, maybe if I had 29" wheels. I also have short legs and a long torso so I have to lean way way back.

Still learning though

Posted: Dec 20, 2017 at 7:53 Quote
Go to a nice grassy field and purposly loop out a few times, it's not that big a deal. Your body's natural reaction will take over and you'll jump off the back and land on your feet holding your bars. Keep doing it until you feel that balance sweet spot.

Posted: Nov 23, 2018 at 11:43 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Long reach, long chain stay, and low bar position makes it much more difficult xix x15

You might try this idea though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGHQMCWCsc

haha i like that!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016014
Mobile Version of Website