Converting Rockshox Pike RCT3 Dual Air to Solo Air?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Converting Rockshox Pike RCT3 Dual Air to Solo Air?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 26, 2015 at 21:27 Quote
I recently purchased a new Giant Reign Advanced 0 Enduro race bike. The bike is awesome but I am having a hard time getting the fork setup properly. I've had great luck with past bikes utilizing Rockshox bottomless tokens to change to a more progressive spring rate but unfortunately the Reign comes with a Dual Air (Travel Adjust) Pike which is not compatible with tokens. I have found that with my preferred amount of sag (28%) it bottoms way too easily. I have to add quite a bit more air to get it to not bottom on bigger hits which puts me around 20% sag and a pretty harsh ride over small stuff. And because Giant created a custom version of the Pike for the Reign (It uses a crown from a 29r to increase offset to 46mm from standard 42mm) I can't just swap the whole fork out for a solo air. I've been working with my local shop to try and convert from a dual air to solo air but so far with no luck. Swapping in a 650b/160mm solo air shaft assembly made it behave very strangely, with a crazy amount of force needed to get it moving into the stroke. Apparently it's not as simple as just installing a solo air spring. With this bike gaining in popularity I'm hoping that maybe someone else has figured this out. Either a way to convert the dual air to a solo air or a way to add bottomless tokens to the dual air.

Thanks,

John

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
Some people are making tokens for DP forks now, see this discussion on MTBR:
http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rock-shox-pike-dual-position-air-bottomless-tokens-904677.html
Also, some people have modified Solo air tokens to fit by cutting a hole for the dual-position shaft.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2015 at 17:31 Quote
There is a place in Denver that has modified tokens for dual airs. I have a Spartan than came with dual. I ordered the customized tokens and the work great. I weigh 190 geared up used 2 and it's benz great.

His name is Ethan and used to be with maverick suspension. They work!! You just slide them on the shafts on the air side.

Posted: Sep 12, 2015 at 10:41 Quote
Anyone used aftermarket tokens for their dual position pikes ,

http://www.shapeways.com/product/XU4NNA6EL/token-for-rock-shox-pike-dual-position-air?optionId=56208764

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 3:44 Quote
Do you try those Tokens at all?
Considerably cheaper than the US DPA tokens but I have emailed the guy in question.
Would be interested in hearing others thoughts from the UK (Or otherwise) that have used those Shapeways tokens.

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 20:09 Quote
Did you have any luck with the Pike John? I'm having the same issue at the moment with the same bike. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2015 at 6:50 Quote
Mr-Simply wrote:
Did you have any luck with the Pike John? I'm having the same issue at the moment with the same bike. Cheers.

I'm curious on this as well.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2015 at 22:27 Quote
I found out that the dual air has a different chassis than the solo air and can't be converted. I ended up modifying a solo air token to fit over the larger air shaft and it seems to work well. Although Rockshox recently released tokens specifically for the dual air so it should be considerably easier now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012685
Mobile Version of Website