RS Pike is harsh

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
RS Pike is harsh
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 31, 2015 at 16:10 Quote
I'm really a bit disappointed with my pike and matching debonair shock. Both have good support but are just plain harsh. For getting such good media reviews they just don't get out of the way on square edge roots/rocks. Am I just feeling the not so subtle difference between coil/air springs? To get the right sag in the shock I'm running quite high pressure. About 270lbs for a 195 lb rider. If I'm really pushing it I could stand a slightly more progressive fork but I'm not overly concerned with that. I am wondering though if adding volume spacers might let me run less pressure and get a plusher (and more progressive) ride?

Posted: May 31, 2015 at 17:13 Quote
Running a volume spacer or two should really help out. I'm around 140lbs with gear and run one in my Pike to help keep it from compressing on steep trails. It really makes the fork ramp up so you can run a lower pressure but still not bottom out on bigger hits. And make sure your low speed compression is backed off. As far as the rear shock goes, a lot of it probably is the difference between coil and air shocks. What model is it?

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 10:46 Quote
Both the Pike and the DebonAir are top notch suspension products, and they also happen to be very easy to tune via volume spacers in order to get exactly the feeling you're searching for.

Let's start with the front fork first. By adding one or two bottomless tokens into your fork, (a super quick procedure that involves letting the air pressure out, unscrewing the top cap, twisting on a token, and then reinstalling the cap and reinflating), you'll make it ramp up more quickly at the end of its stroke. In turn, this should allow you to reduce the air pressure, making it feel more supple in the beginning of its travel.

The same tactic can be used for the DebonAir rear shock. Inside the air can are rubber bands that can be added or removed to accomplish the same thing that the plastic tokens do in the fork. Adding two or three bands will be a good starting point, and should allow you to run a little less pressure without bottoming out.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different configurations – the suggested settings for your fork and shock are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Everyone's preferences are slightly different, as are riding styles and terrain. Take notes detailing all of your initial settings, and then keep track of the changes you make. Before long you'll have everything dialed in and feeling just as plush and progressive as you'd like.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023770
Mobile Version of Website