Powered by Outside

Chain problems (Shimano vs cassette)

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Chain problems (Shimano vs cassette)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2015 at 15:53 Quote
I have a problem I simply can't wrap my head around.

I recently picked up BMX racing after having been riding street for a long time. I converted the bike by changing the frame to a DK v2 race frame and using my existing profile race cranks and sprocket with odyssey v3 clone hub and 9t cog.

Now I have tried to switch to Shimano xt cranks and everything fits fine but the chain just doesn't work? It seems to be pushed too much by the rear cog? I'm using a race face narrow wide chainring (30t) on 9t driver and 510hx chain. Also tried with 10t driver of an old wheel and 9&10spd chains. Nothing seems to work?!

Are mtb chain rings not compatible with Bmx cogs/cassette drivers?

I just bought a new wheel set and would rather not have to buy a new race specific hub.

Any ideas?

Posted: Jun 5, 2015 at 18:26 Quote
Most BMX chains are 1/8 amd most "race/mtb" chains are 3/16 you have a compatibility problem

You need a 3/16 chain..

Posted: Jun 5, 2015 at 23:05 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Most BMX chains are 1/8 amd most "race/mtb" chains are 3/16 you have a compatibility problem

You need a 3/16 chain..

Hi mate,

Does that indicate the pitch ior width of the chain? I should have mentioned that I also tried it with the chain of my single speed bike, and a 9spd chain of a road bike - no success.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 1:48 Quote
Just had a look again. Looks like pitch is different from Bmx driver to mtb chainring and therefore not compatible. Looks like I got to buy a new hub if I want to run the xt cranks. Damn.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 7:52 Quote
Check on a BMX (1/8 ) chainring? Check Danscomp.com, they have a whole race section

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007100
Mobile Version of Website