Is it ok to mix air fork and coil rear shock on my bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is it ok to mix air fork and coil rear shock on my bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 5:26 Quote
Good day
i have a specialized Enduro evo 2013 bike and my fork is giving me hard times Smile can i change the coil fork out for a air fork and will it be ok for the performance and handling or vill i ruin the handling of the bike ?

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 6:58 Quote
Depends what fork you plan on putting, but for example switching from a Lyrik Coil to a Lyrik Air, it would be different, but wouldn't ruin the handling.

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 7:33 Quote
Asking a question like that on the internet will probably result in every possible answer from "yes" to "no".

Personally, I think it's gonna make the bike flip end over end and burst into flames just like every car wreck in a 1970's action movie. Aside from that I think you'll be okay...Smile

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
Yes, you can swap out the coil sprung fork for an air air sprung fork without any issues, and as a bonus you'll likely save some weight as well. You will want to make sure you install something with a similar amount of travel or you run the risk of altering the bike's geometry enough to affect the handling, but otherwise there should be no problems with the switch you're proposing.

Coil sprung forks are often praised for their superior small bump sensitivity, but the last few years have seen the performance difference air and coil become negligible, and the fact that an air spring is easier to fine tune to a rider's weight makes it a better choice in most cases. If you need further convincing, take a look at the bikes of the top World Cup or Enduro World Series racers you'll see a number of air sprung forks matched with coil sprung rear shocks.

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
mikekazimer wrote:
Yes, you can swap out the coil sprung fork for an air air sprung fork without any issues, and as a bonus you'll likely save some weight as well. You will want to make sure you install something with a similar amount of travel or you run the risk of altering the bike's geometry enough to affect the handling, but otherwise there should be no problems with the switch you're proposing.

Coil sprung forks are often praised for their superior small bump sensitivity, but the last few years have seen the performance difference air and coil become negligible, and the fact that an air spring is easier to fine tune to a rider's weight makes it a better choice in most cases. If you need further convincing, take a look at the bikes of the top World Cup or Enduro World Series racers you'll see a number of air sprung forks matched with coil sprung rear shocks.

Actually, you have more and more riders switching back to coil sprung bikes, front and rear. Not to mention sponsored top riders with a spring in the air sprung fork ... (at least the sponsor is happy because the rider has the latest top of the range model, at least it looks that way Smile )

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 12:31 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Asking a question like that on the internet will probably result in every possible answer from "yes" to "no".

Personally, I think it's gonna make the bike flip end over end and burst into flames just like every car wreck in a 1970's action movie. Aside from that I think you'll be okay...Smile

Definitely this lol

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
Thanks guys a got all the answers that i need
Grates Leibbi Big Grin

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 15:20 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:

hahaha flames it is this is the answer i needed ;D

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 16:33 Quote
leibbi wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

hahaha flames it is this is the answer i needed ;D

That's my stock answer for every question about bike setup. When all ya got is a hammer, everything starts looking like nailsSmile

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017633
Mobile Version of Website