Hayes Nine Problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hayes Nine Problems
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
Hi i have just got some hayes nine F&R but they dont feel like my other ones on my DH bike , they seem to feel soft and the lever can go back really far , when i want it to move only about half a inch , is there anyways to make it do so ,
or do i need to re-bleed them and what tips do you have about doing so?

Cheers Joe

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
ya nines r generally pretty shitty brakes that seem to always have problems like that, u cud try rebleeding them and seeing if that workss... wat kind of brakes did u run before???

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 13:19 Quote
I had avid juicy seven 07

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
ya those are soooooo much better brakes i have compared both of them side to side on the exact same bike and the sevens perform much better in all conditions, u mite wanna consider switching back to juicy's, but see if there is anything you can do about the hayes first

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 13:22 Quote
just ride them the way they are and if they arnt goign in far enough u can ajust the little screw insdie the lever or ya rebleed them

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
get different brakes

ull regret it if you dont

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
Since you just got them and probably dont feel like buying new ones you should probably give them a bleed. Sometimes they have air from the factory bleed, something i have heard about avids on here as well.

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 15:45 Quote
Ok

Ignore the stupid comments like, get other brakes!!

So this is how it goes...

One: If you've just got them they might of not bedded in.

Two: Which i'm pretty sure is the answer is... If you look on your lever there is a little bolt, i think it might be 1.5mm im not too sure can't remember. Anyway, if you rotate the bolt to the right, your lever will be pushed further out therefore stopping the lever touching the bar the difference is very noticable and may strain your fingers if you take it too far.

The best advice i can give you for this problem is go out for a day of riding and keep stopping to sort out the levers till you feel comfortable, and the end of the day when your pads are soaked and so is your disk the lever tends to feel too easy to pull under full braking power.

This is from my experience of these brakes, AND I LOVE THEM! Just i need new pads!

EDIT: The bolts come with loctite pre applied i believe, however after many months the loctite doesnt seem to hold the bolts at all to the standard so they may rattle slowly out and so your levers return to a closer to bar position.

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
jallan wrote:
Ok

Ignore the stupid comments like, get other brakes!!

So this is how it goes...

One: If you've just got them they might of not bedded in.

Two: Which i'm pretty sure is the answer is... If you look on your lever there is a little bolt, i think it might be 1.5mm im not too sure can't remember. Anyway, if you rotate the bolt to the right, your lever will be pushed further out therefore stopping the lever touching the bar the difference is very noticable and may strain your fingers if you take it too far.

The best advice i can give you for this problem is go out for a day of riding and keep stopping to sort out the levers till you feel comfortable, and the end of the day when your pads are soaked and so is your disk the lever tends to feel too easy to pull under full braking power.

This is from my experience of these brakes, AND I LOVE THEM! Just i need new pads!

EDIT: The bolts come with loctite pre applied i believe, however after many months the loctite doesnt seem to hold the bolts at all to the standard so they may rattle slowly out and so your levers return to a closer to bar position.

i had to do the same thing for my Hayes when i first got 'em but after that i have had no other problems with 'em.

Mod
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 18:39 Quote
A shop looking at them will be the best. I had a love hate relationship with mine. From my experience, either a) try using a 2mm and moving your levers out (do it before going to a bike shop) b)put in a few hours of riding on them (also before taking them in) if it isn't the first two it could be c) contaminated or worn pads d) the springs in the leverbody have broken or e) they have a leek in the cable (may not be obvious) or f) they need to rebled.

Do a and b, it all fails take it into the shop - only they can point you in the right direction with Hayes.

It takes quite a while to dial in hayes - but than they are amazing. I prefer their feel over my new avid juicy 7's.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:
e) they have a leek in the cable (may not be obvious)

Ah! Now i understand! You dont often think that your hayes hoses could be vegatable patches but it is commonly misaken most of the time!!

Haha, Yeh the lever reach adjuster will be it most likely. Don't think the brake will be screwed already!

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 1:54 Quote
I had nines before.. bleed em.. then adjust the lever reach.. but if they're spongey then all they will really need is the bleed.

I now have juicy 7's
They are better in every way. hand's down.

The nines were okay but I would go back to the 7's if i were you hayes nines are low end hayes and are not as good for so many reasons.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 2:37 Quote
Cheers for the help i'll try that i love the brakes thats why i got them for my DJ aswell as my DH bike they are much better than avid 7's or hope's

Thanks Again

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 7:04 Quote
Hayes are more powerful than Avid 7s. Ditched my 7s, for Codes which may still be replaced by my old trusty Hayes 9s as i've had nothing but problems with Avids.

Hope you get them working nice and Crisp, they're Top brakes.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 7:08 Quote
3ven wrote:
Hayes are more powerful than Avid 7s. Ditched my 7s, for Codes which may still be replaced by my old trusty Hayes 9s as i've had nothing but problems with Avids.

Hope you get them working nice and Crisp, they're Top brakes.
that is BS. i have a hayes 9 with a V7 rotor on the front of my bike and a Juicy 7 with a 185 rotor on the back. (when the back hayes died i replaced it.) even thought the juicy is on the back it always has more power. i will take avid over hayes any day.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008984
Mobile Version of Website