Hayes Nine Problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hayes Nine Problems
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 at 19:17 Quote
i'm thinking you have too much fluid in the system. if there's 2 much fluid even if u push it in it will just come right back out after. i'm thinking a bleed in in hand! during the bleed push your pistons back in the proper position.

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 0:47 Quote
Want to stop your hayes nines sticking? It's rebuild time, the seals around the pistons have a coating of silicone grease on them to keep things smooth, this wears away with washing and riding in wet weather, then the pistons like to stick. Getting both pistons out can be tricky, take pads out, gently squeeze the lever and push 1 piston out a bit, the one that moves will be easier to get out. Zip tie this one in place, squeeze lever again and push the other piston all the way out (fluid will go everywhere),take caliper apart, you should be able to get the other out now. If any damage to seals, get some new ones, if you have to brake the pistons to get them out, new ones too.Light coating of silicone grease on the seals and then seat them in place (this is tricky, they look to big but they do fit) push pistons in and make sure that they are level, put caliper together making sure small o ring is in, bleed (get a syringe or a friend instead of the annoying bottle). Put old pads in and a spacer between them, start pumping lever and make sure of no leaks. Put new pads in, clean rotor with an alcohol wipe, meths etc, put caliper on bike and go bed those pads in.

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
took my bike out for its first ride yesterday with a brand new rear nine and that little C ring, that holds the ball joint from the lever in place, just broke into bits so now my lever just hangs out! Frown

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
wonderworks wrote:
Hi i have just got some hayes nine F&R but they dont feel like my other ones on my DH bike , they seem to feel soft and the lever can go back really far , when i want it to move only about half a inch , is there anyways to make it do so ,
or do i need to re-bleed them and what tips do you have about doing so?

Cheers Joe

i've had the same problem numerous times, and i've tried bleeding them alot to. they seem to work great for a short while after the bleed but just return back to the soft feeling shortly after.
im not sure what it is about hayes nine's but even when i asked mechanics at bike stores they all said there tricky to get to work right.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:32 Quote
i run a rear hayes 9 carbon on my dj and find that it constantly loosens up but doesn't need to be bled, (just reach adjusted), and when i try to 180, 360 the clangs alot! It sounds terrible is there anything that i can do?

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 8:31 Quote
i put new pads on my rear hayes 9, but the pads are way too tight. when i try to push the pistons back in with either a screwdriver or a 10mm box wrench, they dont seem to stay in. if one goes in, the other comes out. or they both come back out.

any help would be appriciated

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 8:35 Quote
pacT wrote:
i put new pads on my rear hayes 9, but the pads are way too tight. when i try to push the pistons back in with either a screwdriver or a 10mm box wrench, they dont seem to stay in. if one goes in, the other comes out. or they both come back out.

Mine do this too. Try pushing them both in at the same time and hold them in for a bit. Repeat this process several times and if you're still having problems, bleed them. If you end up bleeding them, make sure both pistons are all the way in before you start.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 8:38 Quote
jetpilot wrote:
pacT wrote:

Mine do this too. Try pushing them both in at the same time and hold them in for a bit. Repeat this process several times and if you're still having problems, bleed them. If you end up bleeding them, make sure both pistons are all the way in before you start.

yeah tried doing them both, guess ill give that another shot.

how do i make sure both pistons are all the way in before i bleed if that is my initial problem?

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
pacT wrote:
jetpilot wrote:
pacT wrote:

yeah tried doing them both, guess ill give that another shot.

how do i make sure both pistons are all the way in before i bleed if that is my initial problem?
Open the bleed screw and push them in (carefull cause brake fluid will shoot out), they should go in no problem after that. If they still wont, then rebuild the caliper and replace the seals.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
Do you guys still have the hayes pad spacer? Big fat piece of flat plastic? Wedge that in your caliper and leave it. Squeeze your brake levers with that spacer in there a few times and that has always done it for me. If not rebleed with that spacer still in there and that should work. If not PM me. If you don't have the spacer find something flat that will work similar or go to your lbs and get one.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 8:54 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Do you guys still have the hayes pad spacer? Big fat piece of flat plastic? Wedge that in your caliper and leave it. Squeeze your brake levers with that spacer in there a few times and that has always done it for me. If not rebleed with that spacer still in there and that should work. If not PM me. If you don't have the spacer find something flat that will work similar or go to your lbs and get one.

dont think i have the spacer... if im going to make one, do you know how wide it should be? my rotor right now barely fits in, and ive squeezed the lever a few times and nothing.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 9:10 Quote
pacT wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

dont think i have the spacer... if im going to make one, do you know how wide it should be? my rotor right now barely fits in, and ive squeezed the lever a few times and nothing.
The one I have is 2.85 mm thick at the center. You need to reset the pistons by squeezing the lever while they are at the farthest apart as possible. You can take the pads out and use a box wrench to push them back and then wedge something in there to keep them from coming in when you squeeze the lever.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 21:38 Quote
Has anyone had a problem with the little plug in the lever blowing out after you bleed it?

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 21:45 Quote
twentyinch4life wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with the little plug in the lever blowing out after you bleed it?
never

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 21:50 Quote
I've tryed bleeding it twice, and same thing...kinda pissin me off cause I cant figure it out either.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.055283
Mobile Version of Website