Fox 40 Question

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 40 Question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2015 at 9:59 Quote
I have an older ('05) fox 40 that still runs pretty good with fresh oil. I just did an oil change last night and went from a ti spring to a steel ultra-light spring because my girlfriend is going to ride this bike. The fork now feels really harsh right at the start of the travel (like when the front wheel impacts the ground), almost like something is loose, but not really. There is no play. I had low speed compression turned almost all of the way down for her and adjusted the preload a bit, but this didn't seem to affect the feel. Otherwise, the fork feels great.

Just a result of going from a ti to a steel spring? Should I be worried about having her ride the fork? I've changed the oil before and follow all instructions to a T. The oil in the fork leg does also look metallic, right after changing it.

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 14, 2015 at 20:48 Quote
make sure nothing make clunking noises during fork work. it cam be too soft for you, but anyway, you're are too heavy for this spring. my girlfriend rides totem solo air and I can almost bottom out her fork just with my arms, standing near bike on the ground.
about oil-make sure that lowers are clean inside (you may want to wash internal part of it with white spirit) and that uppers and lowers are coaxial.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014446
Mobile Version of Website