2009 Manitou Dorado's

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
2009 Manitou Dorado's
Author Message
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
The vivid sure does perform incredibly well. (at least for me)....

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
kakah wrote:
7" TPC+ Travis w/ Ti spring.... Still the easiest riding fork I've ever ridden. Better than anything currently out there.

Just replaced one of those with a Fox 40. Fox wins. What a machine it is. And, I had been a fan of the TPC+ too.....but the new 40 just kills it in all departments.

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:15 Quote
shondo wrote:
kakah wrote:
7" TPC+ Travis w/ Ti spring.... Still the easiest riding fork I've ever ridden. Better than anything currently out there.

Just replaced one of those with a Fox 40. Fox wins. What a machine it is. And, I had been a fan of the TPC+ too.....but the new 40 just kills it in all departments.

There is only one way to settle this: roshambo!

Lots of time on 40's here as well, and man did I like it. I did come to the conclusion that the TPC+ just felt more controlled under duress, as well as managing to stay higher in it's travel under braking and such. Both forks were stock though as well. I did some tinkering inside a 40 and after a few tries it was pretty amazing. Stock: TPC Travis wins.

I will meet you at the bike rack at 3:30.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:21 Quote
kakah wrote:
shondo wrote:
kakah wrote:
7" TPC+ Travis w/ Ti spring.... Still the easiest riding fork I've ever ridden. Better than anything currently out there.

Just replaced one of those with a Fox 40. Fox wins. What a machine it is. And, I had been a fan of the TPC+ too.....but the new 40 just kills it in all departments.

There is only one way to settle this: roshambo!

Lots of time on 40's here as well, and man did I like it. I did come to the conclusion that the TPC+ just felt more controlled under duress, as well as managing to stay higher in it's travel under braking and such. Both forks were stock though as well. I did some tinkering inside a 40 and after a few tries it was pretty amazing. Stock: TPC Travis wins.

I will meet you at the bike rack at 3:30.

I'd have to agree that the 40, pre 2008 was a bit divey to say the least....2008 saw some nice changes to the cartridge. And the freeking 2009 edition is a beast....oh like buddah!

My mom says I have to be home by 3:30......so no go........

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
would the last year of previous production dorados (2005) be worth buying new now?
for $400?
would they suffice for DH racing and riding?

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 16:03 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
would the last year of previous production dorados (2005) be worth buying new now?
for $400?
would they suffice for DH racing and riding?

If they are TPC+ and are in good shape (stanchions and uppers) then I would think so. Check to make sure that they have been upgraded from the original foam compensator to the spring IFP.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 17:38 Quote
I talked to Manitou reps because I was looking for replacement parts for my older Dorado. They told me they don't stock the parts for the previous Dorados anymore. If something goes wrong you're in trouble. I've had to retire mine.

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:14 Quote
naturalhigh wrote:
I talked to Manitou reps because I was looking for replacement parts for my older Dorado. They told me they don't stock the parts for the previous Dorados anymore. If something goes wrong you're in trouble. I've had to retire mine.

Well thats bad news.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:25 Quote
I suggest not getting older model Dorados

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:38 Quote
they will probably be good but unless your rich you will be way better off with the new boxxers

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:41 Quote
These forks are directed towards the hardcore enthusiast racers.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:50 Quote
and people who think carbon forks will make them cool lol

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:50 Quote
[Quote="odin333"]am i the only one who finds the Dorodo ugly as hell?[/Quote
Nope. I'm with you on that.

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
Send older Dorado's in to Zac @ Manitou Canada. They can be revived with retrofit parts (depending on what is needed of course)to boost your bottomout and initial stroke curves as long as they haven't been completely destroyed. Still, the new '09 Dorado MRD -www.sicklines.com/projects- (On their Legend Mk1 is the production Model) annihilates the older models hands down. It's an entirely new fork made by an entirely new Manitou. Talk to your LBS for advanced post-factory tuning from Manitou Canada on your Travises, it all comes down to professional servicing.

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
not true. New dorado's are made with a dual layer of carbon, all previous modles were made with a single layer. Manitou claims the new Dorado to be Way(not sure the %) stiffer than any of the old ones. and yes, from personal experience the old dorado's were pretty "noodlie"
dmandare wrote:
ive hear lots of people say there bendy though is this true?


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030446
Mobile Version of Website