Too long suspension fork travel?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Too long suspension fork travel?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 13:14 Quote
Hi there!

I have this 2014 GT Sensor Elite and have changed the fork suspension to a Boxxer 200mm. Is it really going to compromise the strength of the frame? just because of a few centimeters longer... really... I'm going to some DH rides with some nice jumps and it is going well... the fork is much better than the 130mm it came with... no comparison! Shouldn't it be even better, as the fork absorbs more the bumps and jumps?

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 3:04 Quote
Oh my god you are not trolling....You added 7 cm off travel in front of the bike!
It's all about leverages you just added massive stress to your headtube. It is not matter of "if" something bad is going to happen but "when". And by something bad i mean frame snapping at headtube weld.

Of course Boxxer is better fork, but horses for courses!
Shovel is much much better for digging holes then a spoon, but you wouldn't use it to eat soup

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 5:03 Quote
Its like putting monster truck tires to a F1 car. Sure it will be better in Offroad. But it makes absolutely no sense

Frames that can handle double crowns have an extra strong head tube. Your GT is not designed for this. As well as the other components.

If your riding stile requires a big bike save for a new bike and dont waste money trying to convert your bike in a dh bike its not gonna work

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 6:40 Quote
http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/12414489/

Haha.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 6:48 Quote
Alexhoward91 wrote:
http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/12414489/

Haha.

FYP

This is my 2014 GT Sensor Elite I have changed the suspension fork to this Boxxer and I m loving it This suspension rocks The bike is really nice and light as a feather I can go up and down the hills with no problems at all I d say it is just perfect for myself

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 7:01 Quote
This thread has made my day!

A buddy of mine is a GT fanboy. This will be perfect to give him sh!t about.

Oh and get health insurance if you continue to jump on that bike. That little tiny head tubes gonna shear and i pitty the fool riding that abomination when it does!

happy trails!

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 9:34 Quote
Sorry, but i can´t even comprehend what was going on in your head when you created this abomination of a bike! Facepalm
That´s probably the most stupid thing i have seen in quite some time.
Get yourself a good insurance policy if you wanna continue riding this thing.

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 13:14 Quote
Pretty sure the front tire will hit the down tube on full compression with the stanchions so high in the crown.

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 17:05 Quote
Don't worry OP. We all do really really dumb things. I once owned a cannondale lefty.

1)Pull the fork off.
2)Put the original back on.
3Sell the bike and the boxxer.
4)Buy a new gen AM bike or a DH specific bike.
5)Never speak of the abomination again.

Goodluck

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 12:44 Quote
Just because of a few centimeters? really??? not so much!!! C'mon.. what a drama!!! It comes with 130mm travel, but might accept a bit more with no problems... so the best thing is to get a Pike then... what do you guys think? With a Pike 130/140 I could keep the frame and still ride it hard, jump, pass through rock gardens with no big troubles?

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 13:03 Quote
7cm are not "just a few cm".
In terms of bike geometry and especially stress distribution that´s a huge number. And you also don´t consider the higher stress the double crown design puts into the steerer tube due to much less felx than the 130mm single crown.
Combine the added leverage of the 7cm and the lessened flex and you might as well hit that thing with a sledge hammer.
If you want a bike to be ridden hard, get a proper bike.
You could put a better fork on the frame, like a pike with 140mm, but the bike would still be a trailbike not designed to be abused by pounding it through rock gardens.
Either tone down the riding you put the bike through, or upgrade to something that is capable of keeping up with your demands. Both you and the bike will benefit from doing so in the long run.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 13:11 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
7cm are not "just a few cm".
In terms of bike geometry and especially stress distribution that´s a huge number. And you also don´t consider the higher stress the double crown design puts into the steerer tube due to much less felx than the 130mm single crown.
Combine the added leverage of the 7cm and the lessened flex and you might as well hit that thing with a sledge hammer.
If you want a bike to be ridden hard, get a proper bike.
You could put a better fork on the frame, like a pike with 140mm, but the bike would still be a trailbike not designed to be abused by pounding it through rock gardens.
Either tone down the riding you put the bike through, or upgrade to something that is capable of keeping up with your demands. Both you and the bike will benefit from doing so in the long run.

Well noted Loki87!!! Well pointed! I will certainly sell this frame and get a DH one, so that I will need to change only the frame and can keep on the ride I like, which is the DH and freeride! I really thought that was not too much, but you are right, the danger is really big and if I keep on riding it like this I may break this frame and harm myself, which is worse! I'll sell this frame and buy another one, a Fury would be just perfect.

Thanks for the comments.

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 2:31 Quote
I love this thread!

Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 7:12 Quote
JoshdoesMTBing wrote:
I love this thread!

I've searched a lot o the internet and found not so many things about it. It is certainly very interesting, indeed. Many people might have the same "doubt".

I still look at the bike and believe there is no problem with it, but... in order to be safe... let's change the frame!

What about a NS Bikes Fuzz? Is it ok?

I have another question... if I get a frame 26er and put this Boxxer 27.5 with its 27.5" wheel in front and a 26 on the rear... would it be a problem?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011205
Mobile Version of Website