Do you put time in the gym?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Do you put time in the gym?
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 12:59 Quote
Just looking to open up a discussion on whether you guys put time in the gym to improve your riding, cardio, strength training etc. If so, what sort of routine you're running!

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 13:34 Quote
I do, 3ish times a week, unless I'm pissed then I go more. short cardio to get the blood pumping, then hit weights hard, then cardio again to stretch afterwards. Weights burns a ton more calories than cardio and for a longer time period...supposedly.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 13:41 Quote
Yeah ive heard that, something to do with continuing to burn calories while the muscle repairs as well, so the larger the muscle you train the more calories it burns afterwards.

FL
Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 1:28 Quote
Used to go 3 days per week. Each day based around the major lifts (Bench press + upper body, Squats + legs, Deadlifts + back)

Amazing the affect it has on MTB. Definitely worthwhile.

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 4:43 Quote
5-6 days a week depending on how much I'm riding or surfing.

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 4:54 Quote
I do, but its not really for MTB, its mostly for keeping fit and physique. I love the gym. Was mostly weights stuff 1-2 times per week but since I broke my collar bone it went to cardio to keep my cycling legs up. Starting to get back on the weights again but lost a lot of strength and physique since the break. Nothing that wont come back soon though.

At the moment I'm probably averaging 1 cardio and one general all over body weights/machnies sessions per week.

Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 7:53 Quote
riish wrote:

I want to live somewhere where I can ride and surf! I recently bought a windboard to fake it since I live in Indiana. Its been fun but I got caught in a storm the other day out on Lake Monroe for 2 hours and had to get a fishing boat to tow me back to shore. I want an ocean in Indiana and Lake Michigan doesn't count. Its nice having both because its been a crazy rainy year and the trails are constantly closed, but I can still windsurf on those days, and lift on my lunch breaks.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 12:42 Quote
I go 2-3 days per week during my lunch break from work, not so much for biking performance, but just for general health, and to not embarrass my kids when we go to the beach. I typically ride 2 days a week.

Day 1 is a Back and Legs bodybuilding type routine. Squats, calf raises, pullups, rows, etc.

Day 2 is Chest and shoulders. Stick to dumbbells this day.

Day 3 is kind of optional, depending on time, but it is a bodyweight day. Pullups, dips, pushups, bodyweight squats and lunges, that kind of stuff.

I also skateboard 2-3 days a week, sticking to bowls and pools. Wish I was better, but I can get in the odd grind here and there, and love just carving lines. Good high intensity cardio for me.

I really enjoy lifting. I love skating, and I love riding my bike. This routine really works well for me, and with 2 young kids it doesn't take way from my time with them.

I too want to live where I could ride and surf, btw! Skating bowls gets me as close as I'll ever get though ;-).

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 2:46 Quote
Warburrito wrote:
riish wrote:

I want to live somewhere where I can ride and surf! I recently bought a windboard to fake it since I live in Indiana. Its been fun but I got caught in a storm the other day out on Lake Monroe for 2 hours and had to get a fishing boat to tow me back to shore. I want an ocean in Indiana and Lake Michigan doesn't count. Its nice having both because its been a crazy rainy year and the trails are constantly closed, but I can still windsurf on those days, and lift on my lunch breaks.

Yeah I agree, it's good to have more than one sport just to keep yourself sane honestly.

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 at 2:11 Quote
I've done squats and cleans for a long time.

What effect are you guys noticing on riding? I have some decent numbers, never noticed any effect on my riding though.

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 at 12:24 Quote
Ive noticed tiny differences in bike control from gym, the biggest difference by far is cardio though, getting alot less worn out meaning I can put more in. Still doesnt seem to make the walk back up any less gruelling......

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 at 12:56 Quote
I saved thousands of dollars in parts by losing 4 pounds. If I lose the other 16 I plan on I'll be rich!

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 at 22:51 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
I've done squats and cleans for a long time.

What effect are you guys noticing on riding? I have some decent numbers, never noticed any effect on my riding though.

deadlifts and pulls made a huge difference to my ability to put power down quickly and corner with more force.

Seeing as I got into powerlifting early on, then oly lifting, my cardio didn't really improve with gym time though, only explosive power and strength.

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 14:34 Quote
Never been a gym goer. Prefer to be outdoors then sat in a sweat box!!

I do how ever do a kind of insanity work out for 30 mins every day after work. Included in this I do some 30/60 min intense Road ride. I have 1 day off from the insanity thing a week and do 2/3 of the rides a week.
Has made a massive difference to the trails, concentration and balance/control. I am also lucky enough to be able to eat what the heck I want and not put on much weight, I do however eat more and bulkier/healthier foods to combat the work outs. Although I've just had an op, so am not doing any of the above for a few months - grrrr!

Definitely think either way, extra gym/home work outs help. Whether it be for general health and/or better riding.

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 14:55 Quote
I do think though, the muscular imbalances you end up with from just riding to get better at riding will catch up with you pretty soon if you don't find a way to fix them.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009486
Mobile Version of Website