Thunder Mountain Bike Park

PB Forum :: USA - East
Thunder Mountain Bike Park
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2015 at 13:44 Quote
Posts related to Thunder mountain.
Thunder Mountain Bike Park is located at the Berkshire East Ski Area, in Charlemont, MA. It is New England’s newest DH Mountain Bike Park and we're a little over 2 hours from Boston, 1 hour and 20 minutes from Hartford and about 4 hours from NYC.

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 at 14:40 Quote
Some fun trails there, and some garbage. The Gronk (blue jump trail) was super fun on my Double. The black and double black DH trails will need a while to get worked in. A guy from Gravity Logic was telling us about plans for a black jump trail which I can't wait for.

The mountain has some serious potential, and hopefully it gets the support it needs to become Highland-esque in the coming years. It is definitely NOT better than Highland, but being 2 hours closer to me I will certainly be riding there a lot more.

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 at 18:51 Quote
I have yet to go there... let alone any bike park! I've been way too busy to mountain bike this summer. Come fall though I will be back at it! I heard The Gronk is pretty fun and flowy. If I had my tr250 in 160mm, sounds like it would be extremely fun and flowy!

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 10:04 Quote
Thunder mt is way better then highland !!!! I can't wait to go back. The dh trails is the woods are so fun. It reminds me of old school dhing. I'm glad to see some good single track in the woods, besides highlands groomed out trails witch are boring.

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 11:07 Quote
Anyone know if they will be open on Monday, August 31st? I will be on a road trip and the website looks like they may be closed on Monday's but another thread with comments seems like they will be open... I will call ahead when closer to leaving.

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 11:14 Quote
Also, anyone know of a campground around or a free place such as a parking lot to camp in? I am hitting a lot of spots and doing it on the cheap... biking ain't cheap

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 16:55 Quote
I would not say highland is boring... They have a huge variety of trails. I just went today and did not find anything boring. I went back and forth from cats paw to maiden voyage and found that all of it was quite fun! Even though I go super often, the mountain, I feel, never gets old to me. Although, I have not tried out Mt. Thunder yet and I am eager to go see their trails too.

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 6:17 Quote
Does anyone know if they fixed the gronk's washed out berms? And is it open all the way to the bottom now? I went in opening weekend and it was rerouted to the beginners trail about two thirds down.

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 16:52 Quote
The Gronk is still not complete to the bottom. Another chunk opened this weekend, the next piece another week or two out depending on weather. The last traverse a bit after that.

We also added a few pieces of black single track on the lower mountain, as well as some feature jumps in the base area.

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 17:29 Quote
Thanks for the info! Looking forward to going back on the 31st

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 21:31 Quote
Maybe Warfield House for camping? I seem to recall images of tents set up in one of their upper lots by the biking trails.

Posted: Jul 24, 2015 at 19:06 Quote
ThunderPatrol wrote:
The Gronk is still not complete to the bottom. Another chunk opened this weekend, the next piece another week or two out depending on weather. The last traverse a bit after that.

We also added a few pieces of black single track on the lower mountain, as well as some feature jumps in the base area.

We opened another section of three jumps and rollers on lower Gronk today. It now extends to Billy Badger (just past the Hemlock Ski Trail) for the traverse back to the lift.

Posted: Jul 25, 2015 at 9:13 Quote
ThunderPatrol wrote:
ThunderPatrol wrote:

We opened another section of three jumps and rollers on lower Gronk today. It now extends to Billy Badger (just past the Hemlock Ski Trail) for the traverse back to the lift.

Any idea if riders can camp in parking lot for free? It would be night of Sunday August 30th, potentially riding Monday August 31st (if you are open). I sent an email last week and have not heard anything.

Posted: Jul 25, 2015 at 15:05 Quote
There are nice campgrounds within 2 miles of the mountain. Policy on onsite camping still undecided. There are many close neighbors that management is being very respectful of.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010033
Mobile Version of Website