Am I nuts to ride Stan's Crest rims when I weigh 220?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Am I nuts to ride Stan's Crest rims when I weigh 220?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 15:57 Quote
I'm buying a Salsa Spearfish RS-1 that comes stock with Stan's Crest rims. I'm 6'5" 220 lbs and ride aggressively and at my weight I'm 30 lbs over Stan's 190lb published weight limit--- Should I even bother riding those rims or should I have the wheels rebuilt with stronger rims right off the bat?

I'll be riding the bike on trails like the San Juan Trail and Noble Canyon as well as more mellow trails that combine dirt roads, paved roads, and random trails.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Marc

Mod Plus
Posted: Jul 20, 2015 at 15:41 Quote
Although you could probably get away with running the Crest rims for a while, all it takes is one taco'd wheel in the middle of nowhere to make you wish you'd heeded the manufacturer's recommendation. For that reason, I'd say go with your gut instinct and put something a little more stout on your new ride. I'm also inclined to think that the RS-1 fork might end up being a little flexy for your liking as well. Elite XC racers, the riders who that fork was designed for, typically aren't built like linebackers, and don't exert nearly the amount of force when cornering that you will. Even though you'll incur a slight weight penalty, something like RockShox Pike or a Fox 34 may end up being more suitable options, offering more stiffness to better handle the paces you'll be putting it through. I'd also highly recommend taking a test ride if you haven't already - you may end up opting for something with a little burlier build that's better suited to your dimensions and riding style.

Posted: Jul 20, 2015 at 17:06 Quote
mikekazimer wrote:
. . . Even though you'll incur a slight weight penalty, something like RockShox Pike or a Fox 34 may end up being more suitable options, offering more stiffness to better handle the paces you'll be putting it through. I'd also highly recommend taking a test ride if you haven't already - you may end up opting for something with a little burlier build that's better suited to your dimensions and riding style.

Thanks for the advice, Mike--- I haven't noticed flex issues on my 29er hardtail with a Reba 100mm and thought my Ibis Mojo with 140mm Fox 32 QR was the bomb until I put a Lyric on it so I'm holding out hope that the RS-1 at 100mm will be stiff enough for the way I'll ride the bike. I'm also keeping my Bronson -w- Fox 36 so will have that for heavier days.

Definitely going to get the wheels rebuilt. I can't even remember how many wheels I've tacoed over the years.

Thanks again,
Marc

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020965
Mobile Version of Website