SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Apr 4, 2018 at 4:49 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Anyone put an angle adjust headset in their scout? I see the new model head angle is 65 degrees, makes me wonder about tweaking my geometry a bit.

installed a -1.5 degree headset in mine a few weeks ago. I can recommend it Wink

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
Ratz90 wrote:
fielonator wrote:
Anyone put an angle adjust headset in their scout? I see the new model head angle is 65 degrees, makes me wonder about tweaking my geometry a bit.

installed a -1.5 degree headset in mine a few weeks ago. I can recommend it Wink

I went ahead and stuck a -2 degree superstar headset in. First ride on local trails today. All fine. Still climbs alright, jumps alright, was faster on the steeper stuff according to strava. No noticeable negatives

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 1:13 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Ratz90 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

I went ahead and stuck a -2 degree superstar headset in. First ride on local trails today. All fine. Still climbs alright, jumps alright, was faster on the steeper stuff according to strava. No noticeable negatives

are you running your fork at 140 or 150mm?
mine is at 150mm at the moment (so the headangle ist at about 65 degrees), but I'm thinking of going back to 140mm, now that it's slack enough anyway.

Personally I don't need a lot of travel here, but I do want a slack Headangle, since I like riding very steep terrain.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
Ratz90 wrote:
fielonator wrote:
Ratz90 wrote:

mine is at 150mm at the moment (so the headangle ist at about 65 degrees), but I'm thinking of going back to 140mm, now that it's slack enough anyway.

Personally I don't need a lot of travel here, but I do want a slack Headangle, since I like riding very steep terrain.

I've got a 150mm pike on mine, but 26". Not sure what the angles are but it rides nicely. I'll put a picture on when it stops raining long enough to take one.

Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 0:46 Quote
Since weather is finally getting better, here a picture of mine:

photo

Just changed the front tire, running DHF/DHF now.

Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 10:04 Quote
My tranny with -2 headset and 150mm fork

This is the fella. Medium frame, 26" superstar carbon wheels, 150mm pike, -2 degree headset. So muddy here still, i took him out up the road to get a quick picture.

Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 14:33 Quote
Ratz90 wrote:
fielonator wrote:
Ratz90 wrote:

Just had a look at an online geometry calculator. If you change back to 140mm fork with a -1.5 degree headset you'll loose about half a degree of the head angle change, gain about a degree seat tube angle, and have around 6mm lower bottom bracket.

With the 150mm fork and -1.5 headset the rest of the geometry is pretty much where it was from the factory, apart from the slacker head angle and longer wheelbase.

It's worth a look if you haven't already.

https://bikegeo.muha.cc is where I looked. Sorry it's not a proper link.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 5:18 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Just had a look at an online geometry calculator. If you change back to 140mm fork with a -1.5 degree headset you'll loose about half a degree of the head angle change, gain about a degree seat tube angle, and have around 6mm lower bottom bracket.

With the 150mm fork and -1.5 headset the rest of the geometry is pretty much where it was from the factory, apart from the slacker head angle and longer wheelbase.

It's worth a look if you haven't already.

https://bikegeo.muha.cc is where I looked. Sorry it's not a proper link.

Thanks, but I was playing with this calculator quite a lot before i decided which headset to install. A 65.5 degree HA would be still fine for me, the only thing I'm worrying about is the lower BB when going back to 140mm.

Anyway, I will try it next month maybe. Tbh I'm still spending 90% of my riding time on my road bike, since a lot of trails in my area are blocked/destroyed by cut trees.
In the end of may i will spend a few days in the mountains, can't wait to see how it will perform in this kind of terrain Smile

Posted: Apr 23, 2018 at 8:45 Quote
photo

Here's the final version.

2017 alloy medium. 26" wheels, 160mm pike, -2 degree headset. It rocks.

So much so that I got a bit carried away yesterday and hit a tree at full speed. The bike's fine, my shoulder will hopefully be alright in a few weeks.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 7:46 Quote
2017 large alloy, 150mm Pike, GX drivetrain
Fwd

Fwd

photo

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
Anybody running a monarch plus. Can you tell me what tune is labeled on the canister?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 16:27 Quote
flipsk12 wrote:
Anybody running a monarch plus. Can you tell me what tune is labeled on the canister?

EDIT sorry I misread the question, I've never had a monarch plus on my Scout.

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 12:38 Quote
I just bought one with a MM tune and am curious if ill have to revalve it. When I get it on the bike and test it out ill post up. In the meantime any insight would be appreciated.

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 13:11 Quote
Anyone own a pre-SBG scout who rides some pretty rocky terrain like in socal? curious to know if it gets overwhelmed easily with the small amount of travel. If I got one i'd put my 160mm lyrik on it.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 8:22 Quote
goose8 wrote:
I had the chance to ride my Scout on a properly technical trail the other day- rode middle and lower black mountain at Pisgah in NC. I was following a skilled rider on terrain I'd never seen before, and after the first few drops I never doubted the scout. I went full speed ahead with no hesitation and came away incredibly impressed. It climbed well too on the way up, my legs were toast but it sure didn't lack in that department. Over the winter I was worried that I might have gotten the wrong bike (I've been on 29ers for years) but the past few days have definitely shown that I made the right call.

Is the middle section where you cut in at the fire pit? If so, try it from the top. The Scout handles it fine, if you can hang on for long enough.

Also rode the Scout down Pilot Rock. That was fun, but the ice and snow in January were a little much.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012584
Mobile Version of Website