SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
O+
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
If its wet, I don't think I'd run much larger than a 2.3 Maxxis. The 2.3 Maxxis DHR2 doesn't give much room on the back of my carbon Scout.

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 14:24 Quote
I'm currently running a 2.25 Ardent (on a 21mm rim) which looks pretty tiny, there's about 10mm of space on both sides of the chain/seat stay and around 15mm in front of the tire. Transition states 2.5" as the maximum size.

I'll probably go for a 2.4 Ardent in the rear and 2.6 Rekon in the front.

Posted: May 28, 2018 at 23:02 Quote
2.4 conti mountain king on rear with a. 30 rim.

In the mud there ain't much room !

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 1:26 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
2.4 conti mountain king on rear with a. 30 rim.

In the mud there ain't much room !

Cheers, I have a pair of Mountain Kings stashed away and will probably try them out once I receive the new wheels.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 1:41 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
If its wet, I don't think I'd run much larger than a 2.3 Maxxis. The 2.3 Maxxis DHR2 doesn't give much room on the back of my carbon Scout.

Same here - not much room and a few scuffs from stones getting dragged through over the winter.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 10:59 Quote
RMWB wrote:
photo

Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT in an aluminum Scout V1. WTB ASYM i29
Bit of Kent clay in there, and that wheel ain't turning lol

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 14:24 Quote
goose8 wrote:
I had the chance to ride my Scout on a properly technical trail the other day- rode middle and lower black mountain at Pisgah in NC. I was following a skilled rider on terrain I'd never seen before, and after the first few drops I never doubted the scout. I went full speed ahead with no hesitation and came away incredibly impressed. It climbed well too on the way up, my legs were toast but it sure didn't lack in that department. Over the winter I was worried that I might have gotten the wrong bike (I've been on 29ers for years) but the past few days have definitely shown that I made the right call.

Think this is enough bike for Farlow and Bennett Gap in Pisgah?

Posted: Jun 5, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
MHE1993 wrote:

I can't say for certain since I've never ridden those trails, but I strongly suspect you'd be fine. I've taken my scout on a wide variety of trails and have never once felt like it was holding me back. I've ridden it on all my local trails and haven't come close to reaching its limit. I've also taken it on trails like Coeur de Loup and Angmar in Bromont and felt comfortable with everything. I even followed some locals recently at Vietnam (Three ledges, etc.) who were on burlier rigs (nomad and wfo) and was able to follow most of their lines. I might chicken out on the really big stuff, but it's not at all because of the bike, it's just that there is a limit to the risks I'm willing to take- especially when it's my first time down a trail!

I've pushed myself further on the scout than on any other bike I've owned. I'm not going to hit a 6' drop to flat any time soon, but a stepdown of the same size with a decent landing wouldn't be an issue. The best comparison we have locally to the trails you mentioned is probably the descent off cooper kiln, and for me this would be pretty much the perfect bike for an epic backcountry ride with lots of climbing and technical descents.

It seems like you're most interested in its downhill prowess, but I've gotta say that it's no slouch going the other direction either. Mine is built up with a 36 fork, 2.8 tires, and solid components so it's far from lightweight, but it still climbs really well. I've cleaned a climb twice so far this season that I've only managed once ever before, and I've been riding that trail since we built it 7 or 8 years ago. This is all anecdotal, but it people remark on its climbing ability when they throw a leg over it. It's also super stable through rock gardens and technical features. Skinnies feel easier than they ever have before. Not sure if it's the SBG or what, but the bike is something else. Hope this helps- sorry that this turned in to such a long reply!

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 4:34 Quote
goose8 wrote:
MHE1993 wrote:

I can't say for certain since I've never ridden those trails, but I strongly suspect you'd be fine. I've taken my scout on a wide variety of trails and have never once felt like it was holding me back. I've ridden it on all my local trails and haven't come close to reaching its limit. I've also taken it on trails like Coeur de Loup and Angmar in Bromont and felt comfortable with everything. I even followed some locals recently at Vietnam (Three ledges, etc.) who were on burlier rigs (nomad and wfo) and was able to follow most of their lines. I might chicken out on the really big stuff, but it's not at all because of the bike, it's just that there is a limit to the risks I'm willing to take- especially when it's my first time down a trail!

I've pushed myself further on the scout than on any other bike I've owned. I'm not going to hit a 6' drop to flat any time soon, but a stepdown of the same size with a decent landing wouldn't be an issue. The best comparison we have locally to the trails you mentioned is probably the descent off cooper kiln, and for me this would be pretty much the perfect bike for an epic backcountry ride with lots of climbing and technical descents.

It seems like you're most interested in its downhill prowess, but I've gotta say that it's no slouch going the other direction either. Mine is built up with a 36 fork, 2.8 tires, and solid components so it's far from lightweight, but it still climbs really well. I've cleaned a climb twice so far this season that I've only managed once ever before, and I've been riding that trail since we built it 7 or 8 years ago. This is all anecdotal, but it people remark on its climbing ability when they throw a leg over it. It's also super stable through rock gardens and technical features. Skinnies feel easier than they ever have before. Not sure if it's the SBG or what, but the bike is something else. Hope this helps- sorry that this turned in to such a long reply!

Ah thank you! I really appreciate the long reply. I'm pretty much down to either a sentinel or the scout and like you said, am mostly concerned with the downhill performance. I do of course need it to get me to the top so I'm still torn. My riding style is more "monster truck through the chunky stuff" as opposed to stylishly riding trails and popping off features. So that's why I've looked at the sentinel. But I've never owned a 29er so I'm still torn. This definitely helped though!

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 4:52 Quote
The really chunky stuff is where I find I'm a little hesitant with the Scout. I find I have to mentally note to lean way back and try to skim over the really big holes/rocks/whatever. Whereas with my Banshee Spitfire, could just steam roll right through everything.

Then again I'm a bit of a hack, so that's just me. And part of the reason why I just picked up Banshee Rune frame.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 5:30 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
The really chunky stuff is where I find I'm a little hesitant with the Scout. I find I have to mentally note to lean way back and try to skim over the really big holes/rocks/whatever. Whereas with my Banshee Spitfire, could just steam roll right through everything.

Then again I'm a bit of a hack, so that's just me. And part of the reason why I just picked up Banshee Rune frame.

Bit of a hack? What do you mean?

Thats the mindset that has put me off 29ers for so long. It's more of a challenge to clean the same technical section of trail on a 27.5 than a 29er.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
are any of you running a coil shock? if so how is it

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 9:12 Quote
Yes. So far it is great. Much more control when the trail gets choppy. I like that I can load up for big jumps, but the coil isn’t as lively on the smaller bumps and rollers as the air...more dead feeling. Coil adds a higher level of traction under steep/heavy braking episodes, which is where I find the limit of the Scout with my fox Evol air.
I find that I need a heavier spring to avoid bottoms, but that sits me a tad bit high at sag. Always a problem with bikes designed for air shocks, but I use offset bushings to set me down some and get the bike balanced. I’m still experimenting howeverSmile

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 9:28 Quote
what shock is it mate?
Slapnutz wrote:
Yes. So far it is great. Much more control when the trail gets choppy. I like that I can load up for big jumps, but the coil isn’t as lively on the smaller bumps and rollers as the air...more dead feeling. Coil adds a higher level of traction under steep/heavy braking episodes, which is where I find the limit of the Scout with my fox Evol air.
I find that I need a heavier spring to avoid bottoms, but that sits me a tad bit high at sag. Always a problem with bikes designed for air shocks, but I use offset bushings to set me down some and get the bike balanced. I’m still experimenting howeverSmile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013556
Mobile Version of Website