PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Nov 7, 2018 at 11:35 Quote
Supergo wrote:
The
sheva-b wrote:
jamesdippy wrote:

Big balls and a sharp drill!!

Hah, thanks, but I'm looking for easier way.Smile I hope that there is a way to route it where green line goes. Any thoughts?

I believe this was done already and it does work. Check out this Smuggler.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/employee-rides-jeffs-alloy-transition-smuggler-sbg

Ohh, cool, thanks a lot, this is what I was looking for.

Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 10:04 Quote
Ratz90 wrote:
Anyone tried a Monarch Plus with stock M/M tune in the 2015-2017 scout?
I'm just about to get one and wondering now if i should give it a try - or just give it to a professional for shimstack adjustment.

Yep, that's what I run on my scout. You won't notice a difference in tune. It seemed like a slight upgrade to the bike. Not really monumental, I hear the fox is better.

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 3:16 Quote
flipsk12 wrote:
Ratz90 wrote:
Anyone tried a Monarch Plus with stock M/M tune in the 2015-2017 scout?
I'm just about to get one and wondering now if i should give it a try - or just give it to a professional for shimstack adjustment.

Yep, that's what I run on my scout. You won't notice a difference in tune. It seemed like a slight upgrade to the bike. Not really monumental, I hear the fox is better.

I have used it now for a few rides and you are right, it's not that much of a difference.
I was worrying if i can get the rebount fast enough, but since the adjustment range of the M plus is much bigger, it's no problem.

Unfortunately the one I bought is in a really bad condition overall, so for now I'm back on the stock Monarch..

Posted: Nov 16, 2018 at 3:12 Quote
Hi

I’m after some advice...

I’m torn between the a Scout or Patrol, both 2019 GX, aluminium. I’m coming from a Kona Process 153. I fancy a change and hear good things about the geo of the Transitions..

I like the idea of a less travel poppy bike (scout) but I wonder if what I ride might be a bit much for the 130 rear travel. Would the Scout be ok on something like Enter the Dragon at BPW? (Black run at a UK bike park)
Most of the time fast flows jumpy trails but also rock, roots and drops..

Any advice welcome. Tia

Posted: Nov 16, 2018 at 10:23 Quote
stockers6061 wrote:
Hi

I’m after some advice...

I’m torn between the a Scout or Patrol, both 2019 GX, aluminium. I’m coming from a Kona Process 153. I fancy a change and hear good things about the geo of the Transitions..

I like the idea of a less travel poppy bike (scout) but I wonder if what I ride might be a bit much for the 130 rear travel. Would the Scout be ok on something like Enter the Dragon at BPW? (Black run at a UK bike park)
Most of the time fast flows jumpy trails but also rock, roots and drops..
Any advice welcome. Tia

I can't comment on the newer scouts however my 2015 125mm scout can handle a lot of abuse but it is by no means a black run killer.

Sure I will take it down a UK black but I won't be flying , pinning it like on a bigger bike and after a few runs I'm hurting from hanging on.

I had 10 runs at BPW last time I went. Most reds and easier blacks and although capable and handled a lot, was constantly worried about going too hard and bottoming rims out on things. I was also beat up at end of day.

For me this is fine for my 2 trips there a year but if I rode it weekly, I would deffo go patrol

Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 0:54 Quote
Hi all, I'm thinking about buying 2018 Scout and I'm right in middle of Small and Medium sizes. https://www.transitionbikes.com/images/SBGSizingChart2.jpg I'm 168cm. I plan to use 30mm steam so it seems that M size should be ok. What size you are running on?

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 0:16 Quote
Hi, just bought a 2015 scout frame to build up, in pretty nice condition.

Is there a huge difference between the newer (none carbon) versions, or is it kinda just minor tweaks? I know it will be in this thread somewhere, but it's a lot to read through haha.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 4:37 Quote
Jamesb15uk wrote:

Is there a huge difference between the newer (none carbon) versions, or is it kinda just minor tweaks? I know it will be in this thread somewhere, but it's a lot to read through haha.

In a nutshell the new frames are longer for each size, with lower standover height, steeper seat tube angle and slacker head tube angle. They also have 5mm more rear travel and take a boost rear wheel.

The sizing looks to be roughly one size bigger, so a large mk1 frame will be about as long as a medium mk2 frame.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
And heavier apparently

My fear is the increase travel goes away from the smaller poppy idea

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2018 at 17:05 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
And heavier apparently

My fear is the increase travel goes away from the smaller poppy idea

The weight increase is fairly large too. Like 700g for the alloy frame. I'm holding out for a carbon one as a result. My OG 2015 Scout is heavy enough, I don't want to go any heavier.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 8:27 Quote
Thats interesting, more or less what I suspected, but I wasn't aware they were more heavy!

I really enjoy short travel but aggresive bikes, which is obviously why I wanted a scout. Ive got a nice set of none boost wheels, which is why the original scout is ideal. And just got a nice black Friday deal on a none boost DVO Diamond.

Long and slack has its place, but it's not the be all and end all, compact and agile is fun too depending on your trails.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 13:33 Quote
Jamesb15uk wrote:
Thats interesting, more or less what I suspected, but I wasn't aware they were more heavy!

I really enjoy short travel but aggresive bikes, which is obviously why I wanted a scout. Ive got a nice set of none boost wheels, which is why the original scout is ideal. And just got a nice black Friday deal on a none boost DVO Diamond.

Long and slack has its place, but it's not the be all and end all, compact and agile is fun too depending on your trails.

Exactly my thoughts mate. Keeping my 2015 until something in the shorter travel range can beat it

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 18:15 Quote
Jamesb15uk wrote:

The 2015 had a lower BB height than the ‘16 ‘17. Be sure to take this in to account when selecting your crank length.

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 18:45 Quote
Cranks will be fine, just won’t need offset bushings for the ‘15 thenWink

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 at 23:45 Quote
Slapnutz wrote:
Cranks will be fine, just won’t need offset bushings for the ‘15 thenWink

Got to fit an angle headset. 67 degrees with a 140mm fork is normal, and good. 66/65 degrees and a 150mm fork is just plain wicked. I'll keep trying to convert people, it's the way forward.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014375
Mobile Version of Website