SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 8:55 Quote
Lots of posts on here about how shit the monarch shock is , yes it is , 2 rides and it's coming off

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
fielonator wrote:
66/65 degrees and a 150mm fork is just plain wicked. I'll keep trying to convert people, it's the way forward.

It very well might be, but I really want this bike to be firmly in the "trail" category. I love agile and nimble bikes for single track.. Ive got a big burly enduro rig for bike parks etc.

This will be the closest I now have to an XC bike (unless you count my rigid gravel bike), so 140mm fork is already pushing the limit of how much travel I want it to have. (its replacing a Stanton Slackline with 120mm fork for context).

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
pigman65 wrote:
Lots of posts on here about how shit the monarch shock is , yes it is , 2 rides and it's coming off

What are popular replacement shocks on the Scout? I wasn't too impressed with the Monarch either

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 12:50 Quote
SeaLegs26 wrote:
pigman65 wrote:

What are popular replacement shocks on the Scout? I wasn't too impressed with the Monarch either
Swapped it for a coil ccdb off of my alloy one , sort of defeats the weight loss of a carbon frame though.

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 15:07 Quote
Jamesb15uk wrote:
fielonator wrote:
66/65 degrees and a 150mm fork is just plain wicked. I'll keep trying to convert people, it's the way forward.

It very well might be, but I really want this bike to be firmly in the "trail" category. I love agile and nimble bikes for single track.. Ive got a big burly enduro rig for bike parks etc.

This will be the closest I now have to an XC bike (unless you count my rigid gravel bike), so 140mm fork is already pushing the limit of how much travel I want it to have. (its replacing a Stanton Slackline with 120mm fork for context).

You might be suprised how capable the little scout is. Agile and nimble, but punches well above it's weight. See when you ride it.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
hey dudes, just wondering how everyone thinks the scout climbs?

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
jaredbattery wrote:
mine climbs very well, not much suspension bob at all. When i know theres something technical i lock out the shock, and its brilliant.
However, ive only got an orange five and a steel hardtail to compare it to

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
jaredbattery wrote:

It's no xc bike, but for what it is i think it climbs pretty well. Even with 35% sag and a longer fork it does alright.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 3:02 Quote
jaredbattery wrote:

Same as most people's thoughts , with the 140 fork it's good.

I still click on some pro pedal as it does Bob about fully open

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
My ‘17 scout weighs about 33lb and has a 65 deg head angle w/ a 150mm fork and -1deg works headset. Despite the slacker geo and heft; I still feel like it climbs quite well. Seated climbing position is good with the steep seat tube angle and the suspension platform provides a nice balance between efficiency and traction.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:31 Quote
jaredbattery wrote:

no complaints here, actually has surprised me on how well it climbs more than a few times.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
SeaLegs26 wrote:
pigman65 wrote:

Wondering this as well. Has anyone had much luck finding an aftermarket shock that helps the scout not get overwhelmed in the rough and fast successive hits?

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 14:59 Quote
cascadedrt wrote:
SeaLegs26 wrote:
pigman65 wrote:

Wondering this as well. Has anyone had much luck finding an aftermarket shock that helps the scout not get overwhelmed in the rough and fast successive hits?

I imagine a coil would be the best bet, though would probably compromise the playful nature to a degree. It's all about compromise they tell me.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 22:36 Quote
I'm happy with the monarch and it's feel. 3 bands in to stiffen it a bit

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
I just got a Monarch plus debonair to try out. Been on fox float x Evol and the Öhlins coil. So far I like the range of air volume tuning I can achieve with the monarch. I put in all the bands I could. This allows for a lot of sag and few bottom outs. I adjusted air pressure to match the trail grade. Haven’t tried it on the steeper terrain yet...snow.
Getting the scout to follow the ground with its minimal travel and fast pace is a challenge! I was running short on sag when steep, choppy and fast. Ended up loosing more traction as I bottomed the shock plenty with a softer tune. Hoping this monarch has a bit more to offer with the volume configuration.
The ohlins coil and a stiff fork is/was my steep and fast go to if that help you any.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018001
Mobile Version of Website