Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
jozz wrote:
David9180 wrote:
Does anyone know if I can run a 57mm stroke shock on the 2018/19 SCOUT. My Cane Creek IL coil comes with a 2mm spacer and to give it the 55mm.
Thanks.

Your eye-to-eye is the same? Have you cycled the suspension without the coil to see if anything bind or rub?

Interested in switching to a coil. After seeing your bike would be nice to get that extra 10mm travel.

Yes it’s same eye to eye of 210mm.
I can cycle it but it has the bumper so I’ll have to take some measurements next time I take the coil out. R
It should only give you about 5mm of extra travel.
The coil feels nice, tracks really good!
Cheers

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
What are people's SBG Scouts weighing in at? I'm in the market for a new XC and full day trail bike and I've got a fair few 27.5" parts in the garage so was tempted to get a Scout frame and build it up. Just a bit worried its going to be a porker with a 4kg frame.

There's still a few non-SBG Scouts available, but the wheelset I've got spare is Boost.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 2:58 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
What are people's SBG Scouts weighing in at? I'm in the market for a new XC and full day trail bike and I've got a fair few 27.5" parts in the garage so was tempted to get a Scout frame and build it up. Just a bit worried its going to be a porker with a 4kg frame.

There's still a few non-SBG Scouts available, but the wheelset I've got spare is Boost.

Mine is heavy, unsure how much exactly.
I run Cush Core front and rear, exo casing tires, I could make it lighter, but its awesome being a mini bulldozer on the downhills, amazed at what it can do, if you want more of an xc bike id look at other options, scout is an undercover enduro bike.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:16 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:

All the SBG bikes are porkers but the geo does make up for it a little. My Sentinel feels way better on extended climbs than my Scout did and its 2-3lbs heavier.

If you want that sweet OG Scout feel in a really lightweight package look for a used Carbon Scout. I've thought about trying to find one, build it up real light and have as my second ride.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
RMWB wrote:
All the SBG bikes are porkers but the geo does make up for it a little. My Sentinel feels way better on extended climbs than my Scout did and its 2-3lbs heavier.

If you want that sweet OG Scout feel in a really lightweight package look for a used Carbon Scout. I've thought about trying to find one, build it up real light and have as my second ride.

Yeah I've got a SBG Patrol for Enduro and more hectic stuff so the Scout might be too similar to that anyway. If I had the coin a carbon Smuggler would probably be a better 2nd bike. Else an OG carbon Scout would be mint. I'll have a look around. The carbon bikes are getting pricey though.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 4:02 Quote
Just had one ride with my og scout with a 1.5 works angleset so far all good. Better on the steep without losing the feel of the bike. I'm not sure bit its might have felt better on tech climbs, worse on fire road but not by much.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 1:01 Quote
Rode a Friends Patrol today, pretty bling bike, push industries front and rear, carbon hoops, list goes on!
I currently run a 2018 Scout which I love, been tossing up a frame swap to a Patrol for a while now.
Patrol felt nice, better on the steeps, nicer in the air, climbed ok, but overall I prefer the Scout, if the Scout had a better rear shock it would be hard to tell the difference.
Fox make an X2 that fits the Scout now, anyone running an X2 or different shock?

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
Sebc84 wrote:
Just had one ride with my og scout with a 1.5 works angleset so far all good. Better on the steep without losing the feel of the bike. I'm not sure bit its might have felt better on tech climbs, worse on fire road but not by much.

Curious to try -1 angleset and 150 fork on my OG. Stock geo is excellent for most of my trails, but 67 ha and short wheelbase are sketchy on steep tech.

Does the angleset noticeably eat into reach? Bike fits nicely atm with 50mm stem and bars rolled forward. I'm concerned moving steerer rearwards and angling stem up higher will cramp cockpit

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 22:34 Quote
caltife wrote:
Sebc84 wrote:

Curious to try -1 angleset and 150 fork on my OG. Stock geo is excellent for most of my trails, but 67 ha and short wheelbase are sketchy on steep tech.

Does the angleset noticeably eat into reach? Bike fits nicely atm with 50mm stem and bars rolled forward. I'm concerned moving steerer rearwards and angling stem up higher will cramp cockpit

I doesn't feel like it on mine. I went -2 degrees and it's all good.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Mine at 1.5* lost a little reach, but I have since opted for a less sweep bar with higher rise and all fits like a glove again. I have stuck with a 140 fork however. 150 and the bike lost a little charm for me. That’s a personal preference thing for sure.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 8:58 Quote
RMWB wrote:
mrtoodles wrote:

The 2016 Carbon Scout is probably the most fun you can have on a bike. I have an SBG Carbon Patrol as well which is great, but nowhere near the amount of grin-inducing fun.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 2:54 Quote
Slapnutz wrote:
Mine at 1.5* lost a little reach, but I have since opted for a less sweep bar with higher rise and all fits like a glove again. I have stuck with a 140 fork however. 150 and the bike lost a little charm for me. That’s a personal preference thing for sure.
Interesting. I'd only planned on going 150 to keep BB around the same height with angleset, not chasing extra travel - Mattoc already feels pretty bottomless. That said, geo calc indicates marginal changes staying at 140 so...might be the way to go, cheers for the input

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
I have a vorsprung smashpot coil up front and I keep it riding fairly high. I also use one offset bushing in the rear to actually lower the bb. I like it low and fast. I put my coil on and crank up the fork bottom out knob for steep stuff. I have no plans to replace this bike for quite a while!!

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
Slapnutz wrote:
I have a vorsprung smashpot coil up front and I keep it riding fairly high. I also use one offset bushing in the rear to actually lower the bb. I like it low and fast. I put my coil on and crank up the fork bottom out knob for steep stuff. I have no plans to replace this bike for quite a while!!

What's the smashpot like? It's a great name and I'm interested to try it out. Worth the money?

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
I have an ohlins coil fork, tried the push coil, and I feel the smashpot is the best executed of the 3. The bottom out knob works the entire length of the stroke unlike the other 2. The pike 3 position compression is suddenly a bit more useful with the coil as well. I chose the spring that was stiffer for my weight and the support is fantastic, it leaves a little travel to work with at the end, and is super smooth everywhere in the travel. Very pleased with it. Although after having a coil fork for the past few years, I wouldn’t go back to air, so any of my coil forks would do. They seem to react much better than air forks do and the maintenance is awesome after constantly replacing seals/orings on air springs...phooey!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010376
Mobile Version of Website