SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: May 20, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
2021 build! Lyrik/SD Coil Ultimate, AXS X01 shifting/AXS Reverb, Stylo cranks, RF Turbine wheels and cockpit.

And yes I have cut the hoses down since taking these photos.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
Wow that is a nice looking tranny.

How does it ride? What travel are the lyrics?

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
2021 build! Lyrik/SD Coil Ultimate, AXS X01 shifting/AXS Reverb, Stylo cranks, RF Turbine wheels and cockpit.

And yes I have cut the hoses down since taking these photos.
That is really well put together. Double thumbs up
And do let us know how she rides

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
missionS wrote:
That is really well put together. Double thumbs up
And do let us know how she rides

jamesdippy wrote:
Wow that is a nice looking tranny.

How does it ride? What travel are the lyrics?

Rides awesome. I was on a slightly longer travel 29er previous to this (Marin Alpine Trail), but overall I find this bike more planted, obviously easier to pop off stuff, easier to shove into a new line, etc.

Lyrik is at 150mm.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
Calling original scout owners, do you pay much attention to the tranny recommended 35% rear shock sag ? Up until having a lot of time on my hands I have been running 35% sag, with 5 bands in the monarch and it's felt like riding an armadillo.

I been exploring different combos and ditched volume reducers due to loads of good info saying the negatives about them (dead mid stroke, massive pressures at ramp up causing rebound spiking ). I'm now running 2 bands at a higher pressure and it feels so much better. However I'm now running 25%ish sag.

I have also done the same with the fork though, going from 2 tokens with 33%ish sag to 22% with none and higher pressure.

In my mind the ratios match (give or take due to leverage ratios etc)

Just wondered what people's setup is like?

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 2:10 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Calling original scout owners, do you pay much attention to the tranny recommended 35% rear shock sag ? Up until having a lot of time on my hands I have been running 35% sag, with 5 bands in the monarch and it's felt like riding an armadillo.

I been exploring different combos and ditched volume reducers due to loads of good info saying the negatives about them (dead mid stroke, massive pressures at ramp up causing rebound spiking ). I'm now running 2 bands at a higher pressure and it feels so much better. However I'm now running 25%ish sag.

I have also done the same with the fork though, going from 2 tokens with 33%ish sag to 22% with none and higher pressure.

I think I've got 4 bands in my monarch, at around 35% sag. To be honest I've not been able to get anything other than 35% sag, regardless of spring pressure. Seems the port to equalise positive and negative sides is at about 30% sag, so it's a bit of s soft spot in the travel. Might be broken, seems alright.

I'm happy with how it rides though. 4 bands was to help with bottom out for an Alps trip a couple of years ago, never got round to changing it back.

Other than that I've got a lyric at 150mm, 2x formula Neopos fitted, around 55psi, no idea what sag is but it rides lovely.

Sure will miss the Alps this year. I'm interested to know what riding an armadillo is like. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside?

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:

Are you still reaching full travel out back?

As far as the fork goes, I run 23ish% on all of my bikes anyway.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 23:38 Quote
Boys thanks for the inputs.

Fielonator- sounds like you got the setup nailed. My orignal 5 band setup felt nice at beginning and end but had naff all mid stroke and huge ramp up. It was exactly as you described, crunchy on the outside soft in the middle!

Brantley, yes with higher pressure and less sag, I get full range and a better mid feel . On another note, upto the change I always rode flow trails with pedal assist on for extra LSC support. Now with this setup, I don't need to. I don't get that armadillo soft centre mush anymore.

Brantley, I'm same with your fork sag too

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 3:46 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:

Fielonator- sounds like you got the setup nailed. My orignal 5 band setup felt nice at beginning and end but had naff all mid stroke and huge ramp up. It was exactly as you described, crunchy on the outside soft in the middle!

Brantley, yes with higher pressure and less sag, I get full range and a better mid feel . On another note, upto the change I always rode flow trails with pedal assist on for extra LSC support. Now with this setup, I don't need to. I don't get that armadillo soft centre mush anymore.

I've never really used the pedal setting. I tried it at first but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm always impressed with how well it climbs so I leave it fully open and don't have to remember changing it back for the downs.

I've also got a -2 degree angleset fitted. It's like a tiny dh bike but still climbs really well. Proper fun.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:

Yeah man, all my bikes stay open

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
Anyone riding with a 62.5mm stroke shock for longer rear travel option on the 2020 Scout? Comparisons to the Bronson?

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
Scouters. Disaster struck!

Just cracked my seatstay on 2015/2016 scout grrr

Any ideas for spares? Baby on way so frame cx is off cards, especially with standard changes

Just emailed windwave UK but anyone got any pointers, be grateful

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Scouters. Disaster struck!

Just cracked my seatstay on 2015/2016 scout grrr

Any ideas for spares? Baby on way so frame cx is off cards, especially with standard changes

Just emailed windwave UK but anyone got any pointers, be grateful

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with getting hold of a spare, and congratulations.

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 6:23 Quote
Thanks buddy. I'll try post a pic when I can figure it out from a shit phone.

Check your stays people!

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Thanks buddy. I'll try post a pic when I can figure it out from a shit phone.

Check your stays people!

Seat Stays and chainstays are a known weakness on OG Scout.

Had it happen to mine. Transition replaced it but it wasn’t the exact color.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007854
Mobile Version of Website