SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 0:28 Quote
I got my scout in September and I’ve been riding it 5hrs a week in very wet and thick muddy conditions since october. Its totally sweet as new still.

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
Thanks for that. Not a lot of wet ridding to be done in my neck of the woods. Can't wait to get some fresh bearing in the rocker arm really needed doing.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
ti-marc wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
I wish Transition would do a better job of protecting the pivot bearings. That said, I’ve used both cheap and Max. Might get a little more out of the Max bearings, but a week in PNW slop is a tear down in either case. Some need a flush and fresh grease and some aren’t at all salvageable. If you wanna save time and money...get the cheap bearings and just replace when needed.

one week???
PNW is sand??
your frame is out of tolerance ?? (oval hole or small)

i got 200 hours of trail and bike park and bearing still alive

installation must be done wright or you shot the bearing

Yup. 1 week wet rainy weather. Haul it home to Montana...most are rusted/mudded up to near locked up. When I say near locked up, I mean raw bearing movement. Some are locked up. The frame still works a bit rough all together with or without shock.
Like I said, I could do a wd-40 bath and regressed, but if I’ve gone that far I’d prefer to put in new ones if I have them. Rust/mudded up has nothing to do with alignment or proper install.
I must also disclose that I do put in more laps/miles than the average guy.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 0:08 Quote
Slapnutz wrote:
ti-marc wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
I wish Transition would do a better job of protecting the pivot bearings. That said, I’ve used both cheap and Max. Might get a little more out of the Max bearings, but a week in PNW slop is a tear down in either case. Some need a flush and fresh grease and some aren’t at all salvageable. If you wanna save time and money...get the cheap bearings and just replace when needed.

one week???
PNW is sand??

Yup. 1 week wet rainy weather. Haul it home to Montana...most are rusted/mudded up to near locked up. When I say near locked up, I mean raw bearing movement. Some are locked up. The frame still works a bit rough all together with or without shock.
Like I said, I could do a wd-40 bath and regressed, but if I’ve gone that far I’d prefer to put in new ones if I have them. Rust/mudded up has nothing to do with alignment or proper install.

Must be a faulty batch of bearings, or installed incorrectly. I ride about 50 miles 7-10k feet climbing a week and its been wet and muddy since october in uk....

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 4:57 Quote
Richt2000 wrote:
Slapnutz wrote:
ti-marc wrote:

one week???
PNW is sand??

Must be a faulty batch of bearings, or installed incorrectly. I ride about 50 miles 7-10k feet climbing a week and its been wet and muddy since october in uk....

This^

If you have rusty bearings after one week there is something incredibly wrong. There is no way if a bearing has been assembled correctly with proper lubricant added during assembly that they will rust an be nearly locked up.

I will often try to repack a bearing with grease after months of riding and there is still plenty of grease in those bearings. Months of riding, months of spraying bike down with a hose, and the grease is still there. Dirty, but is there.

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
I guess I’m wrong then. Not here to measure weiners, but I usually do a bit more vert and miles than those sharing above. That might be improper too.
A comparison to a current Specialized frame or Santa Cruz would be a good experiment if you haven’t already.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 8:40 Quote

Here's some pictures of my 2017 Scout Carbon I rebuilt and repainted. Took a lot of work as all the bearings were shot in the frame. Bike has invisiframe protection (quite good but a pain to apply imo) it was fun to do this

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
henndoe wrote:

Here's some pictures of my 2017 Scout Carbon I rebuilt and repainted. Took a lot of work as all the bearings were shot in the frame. Even had to tig weld and retap/machine the swingarm threads because they were destroyed. Bike has invisiframe protection (quite good but a pain to apply imo) it was fun to do this

Well done mate. I'm still loving my alloy '17 Scout, or at least i will be when it's not so muddy everywhere. Tyre clearance is one of a few oversights in an otherwise great frame design.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 22:38 Quote
Damn that thing is sick

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
fielonator wrote:
henndoe wrote:

Here's some pictures of my 2017 Scout Carbon I rebuilt and repainted. Took a lot of work as all the bearings were shot in the frame. Even had to tig weld and retap/machine the swingarm threads because they were destroyed. Bike has invisiframe protection (quite good but a pain to apply imo) it was fun to do this

Have you thought about tweaking the head angle at all? I put a -2 degree one in mine and it's made it awesomer. 2 degrees is a big change but it's worked out for me.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 0:42 Quote

It's now got a static 65 degree head angle. I worked out using an online geometry calculator that with the fork travel at 150mm everything else would be roughly the same as stock. I love it. Not sure Transition would recommend this but I've taken it to the Alps and haven't snapped it yet. Fingers crossed i never will.

It's now a lot more stable at speed, better going down very steep stuff, and seems to carve turns easier. Climbs and jumps the same as before.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 6:54 Quote
Does anyone have a current generation Scout in size medium they want to sell? Frame only or complete, doesn’t matter. I haven’t found anything for sale locally yet. Thanks!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009175
Mobile Version of Website