PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
Those bars make that bike , very nice !

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2021 at 21:01 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Moto266 wrote:
7 months in the making and the new scout is finally complete. Switched over from the V3 SC 5010 and couldn’t be more stoked on how it turned]

NICE!!! Would be keen to know how it compares to the v3 5010 ?

Initial impressions after spending an hour or two dialing in the suspension and taking some local loops of mellow trails.

1. The scout is noticeably slacker when pedaling on the flat, however the front still feels more planted when climbing compared to the 5010 with less wallowing. Caveat though, the V35010 was a 130/150 setup which plays into that feel since scout is only 150/160.

2. I think it’s a combination of the progressive geometry and 2021 float x2 on the scout vs the 2020 RS super deluxe and linear VPP geo on the 5010, but the Scout has less rear bob throughout the pedal stroke even though the scout has 150mm compared to 130mm on the V3 5010.

3. Descending the scout has a more burly feel and definitely seems to be more capable of a point and shoot line style closer to a Bronson (or maybe v4 5010, but I haven’t ridden that).

4. Point 3 aside though, it is still nimble to bounce back and forth on the trail and hip in and out of small bumps typically overlooked just like the 5010 was great for. I’d ballpark it as 87% as nimble as the V3 5010.

5. Went from XL V3 5010 to a L Scout so that probably accounts for most of this as the builds were roughly equal for parts, but the scout is for sure lighter.

6. Both bikes are a blast to ride and “appropriately” biked on 80% of all trails IMO (I.e. not over/under biked lol). The differences show up in scout feeling more at home on black diamond+ descents and the 5010 on green/blue cardio loops.

7. If you’re 6ft or lanky, the ability for a dropper >150mm is nice to take full advantage of leg extension pedaling but still get that seat way out of the way when the bikes pointed DH.

8. My guess is this comes with the differences in geo and lack of familiarity with the bike still, but the Scout seems harder to manual after the first 10 attempts or so. I’m definitely still getting the feel for this bike and it’s totally doable on both but takes more effort to get that front up to the balancing point than the V3 5010.

I’m sure there will be more thoughts to come but that’s all I’ve got so far.

Posted: Mar 13, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
Figured it out!

photo

2021 Transition Scout size Medium
2021 Fox 38. Took it off the old enduro bike
Hayes Dominion A4 brakes.
Race Face Turbine 35 wheels
Race Face Turbine R stem/Atlas bars.
Only a few rides so far but bike feels good.

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
Has anyone tried 170 front on the current Scout? I've seen people do it on the Sentinel, which has almost identical geo when both are set up 150/160... Just wondering if the front wheel would be too vague from the HTA slackening even more..?

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
Moto266 wrote:
jamesdippy wrote:
Moto266 wrote:
7 months in the making and the new scout is finally complete. Switched over from the V3 SC 5010 and couldn’t be more stoked on how it turned]

NICE!!! Would be keen to know how it compares to the v3 5010 ?

Initial impressions after spending an hour or two .....

Thanks for the honest review mate. Sounds awesome.

Hope those manuals start coming along, must be longer than the 5010?

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
chazmann wrote:
Has anyone tried 170 front on the current Scout? I've seen people do it on the Sentinel, which has almost identical geo when both are set up 150/160... Just wondering if the front wheel would be too vague from the HTA slackening even more..?

I think the BB would be too high and it would hence cornering would be impacted.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 15:30 Quote
chazmann wrote:

Mine's at basically 145/160. Rides great. Shouldn't need more than that.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
In case anyone missed it, Cascade confirmed that their v3 Sentinel link will also fit the v3 Scout. If you're impatiently waiting for a new patrol, a 165mm travel scout would fit the bill tup

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 21:29 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
In case anyone missed it, Cascade confirmed that their v3 Sentinel link will also fit the v3 Scout. If you're impatiently waiting for a new patrol, a 165mm travel scout would fit the bill tup
\\

When and where did they confirm that?

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 22:00 Quote
falkyn wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
\\

When and where did they confirm that?
https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/transition-linkages/products/scout-link-2020-to-present

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 22:29 Quote
Rad!! Anyone have experience with this link on this or a Sentinel?? I am going to swap for a DHX2 as well. Any experience on the 2020 Scout??

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
falkyn wrote:
Rad!! Anyone have experience with this link on this or a Sentinel?? I am going to swap for a DHX2 as well. Any experience on the 2020 Scout??

I'm ordering one as we speak. I'm running a 205x60mm X2, so my rear travel should end up at 160mm, which conveniently is what my fork's travel is as well. Will post pics and impressions as soon as I have it in hand!

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
Not trying to steal the jam outta anyone’s doughnut here but can the frame take the abuse ? What’s trannys view on uprating the travel ?

Just wondering how beefy the new scouts are vs it’s big brother.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Not trying to steal the jam outta anyone’s doughnut here but can the frame take the abuse ? What’s trannys view on uprating the travel ?

Just wondering how beefy the new scouts are vs it’s big brother.

I feel like I ride mine pretty hard. I'll say that the paint, particularly in the BB area, is pretty beat, but I'll be touching it up when I go to install the Cascade link. That said, you can tell that the frame is beefy as all hell, so I have absolutely no concern about it in any way other than cosmetically.

I emailed Transition and they confirmed that it's okay to install the Cascade link provided you don't increase the shock stroke beyond 62.5mm and the warranty will still be honored.

Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
Wow this is great news. Thanks for posting re cascade guys

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.441106
Mobile Version of Website