SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 0:52 Quote
ThermalAttorney wrote:

My pump mount wouldn't fit the chonky downtube, so I had to space it out using a metal plate. Anyone out there using a pump whose bracket fits?

photo

I use the same pump, but ended up mounting it on the drive side so the brake cable wouldn't interfere.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
Not sure if this is the right place but since so many Scouts come with X2s I wanted to ask this here first:

Any tips for increasing the mid-stroke on the X2? It's a 2020 model, and I've read that's just how they're tuned.

Going back and forth between the Super Deluxe Coil and the X2 makes me really appreciate the mid-stroke support of the coil. The X2 is dang near as supple off the top and handles deep compressions slightly better, but I feel it moves too quickly through the midstroke, resulting in both more pedal bob and a less composed feeling over chunky terrain.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
Anyone running a DHX2 on their 2020+ scout? Looking for input on spring weight and initial comp/rebound settings.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 7:13 Quote
Those who have run both air and coil, how did you find them both? Does the coil take away any of the playfulness of the bike? Which model of air shock and coil shock did you use?

I'm thinking of getting the new alloy frame and I have really enjoyed the coil on my current 27.5 trail bike; so I wondering if I should sell the Fox Float X straight away and go coil (my current coil isn't the right size).

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
TIMMY12 wrote:
Those who have run both air and coil, how did you find them both? Does the coil take away any of the playfulness of the bike? Which model of air shock and coil shock did you use?

I'm thinking of getting the new alloy frame and I have really enjoyed the coil on my current 27.5 trail bike; so I wondering if I should sell the Fox Float X straight away and go coil (my current coil isn't the right size).

Oh, I can answer this. I had a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil for a while when I first got my Scout. I found it got hung up pretty easy on big chunky roots and stuff (I'm not very good at being "light on the bike", haha) so eventually I switched to a Float X2 Factory and found it way easier to navigate stuff like that. I wouldn't go back, personally... I think the coil prioritizes keeping the rear wheel on the ground at the expense of everything else, like you suppose.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
Oh, I can answer this. I had a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil for a while when I first got my Scout. I found it got hung up pretty easy on big chunky roots and stuff (I'm not very good at being "light on the bike", haha) so eventually I switched to a Float X2 Factory and found it way easier to navigate stuff like that. I wouldn't go back, personally... I think the coil prioritizes keeping the rear wheel on the ground at the expense of everything else, like you suppose.

Cheers for the info, if I did decide to go air over coil I would have to then decide whether to keep the Float X or buy an X2. I like the idea of the extra high speed compression adjustment (which is what I missed on a Super Deluxe I had in the past).

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
I had the opposite experience but I started on the stock super deluxe air... Air hung up on a lot of things, but more than anything just beat me up, no matter how soft I ran it or how many spacers. Got a super dlx coil and it was better... but still not as great as I was hoping for, wouldn't say it would get hung up on things, it moved when it needed to, it just felt a little harsh. But then I got is Avy tuned and it's been gravy ever since.

Full disclosure though I ride coil almost everything. I have 2 fullies that are coil front/rear and the only air suspension I have is a fork on my hardtail. So maybe I am biased to coils.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 21:56 Quote
TIMMY12 wrote:

I have both a super coil and air shock. I prefer the coil personally. Bike still is playful just not as poppy as the air. The coil on the descents though is worth it. Bike seems to track better for me with a coil. I still use the air though if I’m doing a lot of climbing or trail riding. Coil for anything rowdy

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
I had the opposite experience but I started on the stock super deluxe air... Air hung up on a lot of things, but more than anything just beat me up, no matter how soft I ran it or how many spacers. Got a super dlx coil and it was better... but still not as great as I was hoping for, wouldn't say it would get hung up on things, it moved when it needed to, it just felt a little harsh. But then I got is Avy tuned and it's been gravy ever since.

Full disclosure though I ride coil almost everything. I have 2 fullies that are coil front/rear and the only air suspension I have is a fork on my hardtail. So maybe I am biased to coils.

Bm1117 wrote:
I have both a super coil and air shock. I prefer the coil personally. Bike still is playful just not as poppy as the air. The coil on the descents though is worth it. Bike seems to track better for me with a coil. I still use the air though if I’m doing a lot of climbing or trail riding. Coil for anything rowdy

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading through this thread and others and it seems there is quite a few riders moving to coil from the RS Super Deluxe. I wonder if the X2 is better suited to the bike? I am torn on which way to go, really like my current coil but I know the Scout is a different bike, so riders opinions are really helpful.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
Pulled the trigger on a raspberry alloy scout frame this afternoon! T-minus 3 days until delivery and parts swap

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
I wanted to chime back in on the air vs. coil debate. For me it comes down to the cliché of poppy vs. planted. My local trails are relatively smooth, with lots of little side hits and jump lines. The extra pop of an air shock makes playing around on the trail noticeably easier and just plain more fun. It certainly doesn't track as well as the coil on chunky descents, but there's little difference in traction when tackling technical climbs.

When I was initially testing the coil, it was over 3 days at Blackstrap Hill Preserve in Maine, where the roots are non-stop and the jumps are tame. I followed that up with a day at Highland and couple days at Mountain Creek, where the extra pop isn't needed to jump and the planted feeling of the coil over endless chunk was appreciated.

What led me to go back to air was picking up a used Super Deluxe for cheap and throwing a MegNeg on it. I really liked how the MegNeg felt on my last bike and did some back to back testing with the coil on the aforementioned local trails.

Having tried the following shocks, I'm gonna give the X2 another go and decide whether to keep it.
Float X2
Super Deluxe Coil
Super Deluxe
Super Deluxe w/ MegNeg

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
That's some good feedback. When I emailed Transition about shocks the person who replied liked the X2, but the person sitting next to them in the office liked the Super Deluxe with MegNeg. It would be interesting what you end up with.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
831SCB wrote:
Pulled the trigger on a raspberry alloy scout frame this afternoon! T-minus 3 days until delivery and parts swap

Did you buy it direct from transition or from a bike shop. I would like to get me hands on a raspberry large frame.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 21:45 Quote
my lbs received a handful of transition bikes last week with a few of them being scouts. Wouldn't mind getting one of the scouts in the future.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 22:43 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
831SCB wrote:

Did you buy it direct from transition or from a bike shop. I would like to get me hands on a raspberry large frame.

Called lbs first, nothing available for their order. Called into transition (awesome crew) and they had 2-5 medium frames. Very limited. 10 min later a frame was on way shipped to me!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016855
Mobile Version of Website