Trailforks Mobile App Feedback & Bugs

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Mobile App Feedback & Bugs
Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
Any news on this issue?

OrjanX wrote:
The trail label (name) engine for the app seems to have stopped working. It has been three full weeks since I added a new trail (Via vulpes) to my area Dillingby but the labels (names) are close to non existing. Only most zoomed in levels exist.

Thanks! /Örjan

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 18:35 Quote
I just started using the app, I really like it so far, although​ I think it's not as intuitive as it could be (maybe just me). Right now, I've got my Strava account integrated so it automatically logs my rides to trailforks, my question is the check in feature, am I just daft or is it only on the website? Is there no way to just: Start Strava, log the ride, go in trailforks, check-in and update the trail status? Seems sooooo cumbersome to do the one thing that makes the app really useful? Thanks!

Mod O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 22:32 Quote
Gat0rvean wrote:
I just started using the app, I really like it so far, although​ I think it's not as intuitive as it could be (maybe just me). Right now, I've got my Strava account integrated so it automatically logs my rides to trailforks, my question is the check in feature, am I just daft or is it only on the website? Is there no way to just: Start Strava, log the ride, go in trailforks, check-in and update the trail status? Seems sooooo cumbersome to do the one thing that makes the app really useful? Thanks!

We've never added the trail "Check-in" feature to the app as I don't see much need. very few of our total check-ins are created manually via the button on the website. We have a much better way of generating the check-ins. Your ridelog (which is synced from Strava in your case) is scanned to detect which trails you rode and automatically create check-ins for all the trails you rode.

But maybe you are confusing the check-in feature a bit with the "trail report" feature? A trail report is where you can indicate the stats & condition of a trail. You can indeed create trail reports from the app, in fact it was the very first feature even before there was a map! We have an app update coming soon that is adding a bunch of improvements to adding & viewing trail reports in the app.

I normally only create trail reports in the app when I'm out on a ride and come across an issue on the trail, like a fallen tree. Otherwise I wait to report conditions on all the trails I rode to when I get home and I use the website for this. The website is much faster for adding multiple reports. In fact if I have a recent ridelog, I can view that ridelog on the website and see a "add trail reports from this ride" link in the bottom right. This goes to a special time-saving page that lists all the trails I rode with quick short forms for each all on one page.

You will also get an email link to that special ridelog report form if we determine that enough of the trails you rode are in need of a report. We take an average age of all the latest reports for all the trails you rode and determine if we should both emailing you to update their status & conditions.

I hope that answers your concern?

We might someday add that special ridelog reports form to the app, but its a bit large and might be cumbersome on a small screen.

Posted: Apr 2, 2017 at 16:49 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Gat0rvean wrote:

We've never added the trail "Check-in" feature to the app as I don't see much need. very few of our total check-ins are created manually via the button on the website. We have a much better way of generating the check-ins. Your ridelog (which is synced from Strava in your case) is scanned to detect which trails you rode and automatically create check-ins for all the trails you rode.

But maybe you are confusing the check-in feature a bit with the "trail report" feature? A trail report is where you can indicate the stats & condition of a trail. You can indeed create trail reports from the app, in fact it was the very first feature even before there was a map! We have an app update coming soon that is adding a bunch of improvements to adding & viewing trail reports in the app.

I normally only create trail reports in the app when I'm out on a ride and come across an issue on the trail, like a fallen tree. Otherwise I wait to report conditions on all the trails I rode to when I get home and I use the website for this. The website is much faster for adding multiple reports. In fact if I have a recent ridelog, I can view that ridelog on the website and see a "add trail reports from this ride" link in the bottom right. This goes to a special time-saving page that lists all the trails I rode with quick short forms for each all on one page.

You will also get an email link to that special ridelog report form if we determine that enough of the trails you rode are in need of a report. We take an average age of all the latest reports for all the trails you rode and determine if we should both emailing you to update their status & conditions.

I hope that answers your concern?

We might someday add that special ridelog reports form to the app, but its a bit large and might be cumbersome on a small screen.

Thanks for the response. I guess in my mind the check in through the app would give credence to a trail report and show time of day, it seems like while having Strava auto generate is a great feature, if I show up to a trail and it's shit I'm not gonna log anything via Strava and I'm probably not going to think about it when I get back to my house or after I ride another trail, even if I did, there's a lag time where 30 other peeps might leave their house to check out the trail and be disappointed.

Yeah, I know you can do trail reports from the app, that also seems clunky. Like today, I showed up, didn't do anything with Trailforks, launched Strava, rode my route, submitted a trail report and went home. Ten minutes later, I get an email from Trailforks saying I should add a trail report to my ride log? I guess your supposed to wait till the ride log syncs from Strava to do it from the app to tie it together?

It seems like the only reason to have Trailforks on mobile is to find your way to a trail and view some statistics about it while your there?

Last thing, is there a way to have a local group approve you as a supporter for a trail without having to donate through the app? As in, actual members of the local group show as members of the group instead of the notice saying "You are not a supporter of X"

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm knocking it, just trying to get a better handle on how to effectively use the tool. Thanks!

Mod O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 22:55 Quote
You probably rode several trails on your ride and you say you only submitted 1 report. After a ride is uploaded and synced to Trailforks we see all the trails you rode and if we detect that a certain percentage of the trails you rode have NO report you get sent an email asking to add reports. OR if the average age of the latest report for each of the trails you rode is greater than 2 weeks, you will get an email. So you submitted 1 report for 1 trail, but is likely that the other trails you rode did not have any recent report info, so an email was sent.

The trail report submitted through the app has the time and location attached, so not sure why linking it to a check-in would change.

Its not likely we can add any integration with actual clubs membership anytime soon. There are thousands and thousands of clubs all around the world all using different web & payment systems for their members. Would be very difficult to build a system to sync their current members to a database on Trailforks and even harder to get them to do it. Hard enough getting clubs PayPal address to give them free money.

You can swipe that green bar in the map to the left, which will reveal a "Hide" button, that hides the message for that region for a period of time.

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 at 5:25 Quote
canadaka wrote:
You probably rode several trails on your ride and you say you only submitted 1 report. After a ride is uploaded and synced to Trailforks we see all the trails you rode and if we detect that a certain percentage of the trails you rode have NO report you get sent an email asking to add reports. OR if the average age of the latest report for each of the trails you rode is greater than 2 weeks, you will get an email. So you submitted 1 report for 1 trail, but is likely that the other trails you rode did not have any recent report info, so an email was sent.

The trail report submitted through the app has the time and location attached, so not sure why linking it to a check-in would change.

Its not likely we can add any integration with actual clubs membership anytime soon. There are thousands and thousands of clubs all around the world all using different web & payment systems for their members. Would be very difficult to build a system to sync their current members to a database on Trailforks and even harder to get them to do it. Hard enough getting clubs PayPal address to give them free money.

You can swipe that green bar in the map to the left, which will reveal a "Hide" button, that hides the message for that region for a period of time.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. To your first point however, I did only ride one trail and submit one report, so not sure that's working as intended.

Mod O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2017 at 13:10 Quote
Hmm you are correct, I will look into that.

Posted: Apr 5, 2017 at 0:30 Quote
I rode last afternoon with a friend who was using the app. One thing that came up was that although the blue dot was moving/updating on the screen as we rode, the map was not following. So time after time the blue dot went off-screen. It would be nice if the map was following and "always" had the blue dot in the centre. I figure this would eat battery so a timing feature would be good. Settable to update/move the map every 15/30/60/120 seconds or so.

Thanks!

Mod O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2017 at 10:26 Quote
if you put the app into "compass mode" by pressing the locate button in top right once, then pressing it a 2nd time when toggled. It will keep the blue dot in centre and rotate the map in direction phone is facing.

But there is also gps tracking coming, which will re-centre the blue dot every 10 seconds.

Posted: Apr 5, 2017 at 11:11 Quote
Great. Checking all your help videos etc. I can't find any info about using the app when actually pedalling. Perhaps this info on how the locate button is working can be included/added somehow.

Thanks again!

canadaka wrote:
if you put the app into "compass mode" by pressing the locate button in top right once, then pressing it a 2nd time when toggled. It will keep the blue dot in centre and rotate the map in direction phone is facing.

But there is also gps tracking coming, which will re-centre the blue dot every 10 seconds.

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 5:14 Quote
I decommissioned / closed a trail today (Septemberkåsan, due to possible/future horse-bike problems). It still apears in the app (that is ok), but the app says it's "hidden" rather than "closed" or "decommissioned". First tap on trail says "hidden" but when swiping up it says "Trail is closed". I would like that word "hidden" to be replaced with the proper status "closed" or "decommisioned".

Thanks!

/Örjan

Mod O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 19:52 Quote
OrjanX wrote:
I decommissioned / closed a trail today (Septemberkåsan, due to possible/future horse-bike problems). It still apears in the app (that is ok), but the app says it's "hidden" rather than "closed" or "decommissioned". First tap on trail says "hidden" but when swiping up it says "Trail is closed". I would like that word "hidden" to be replaced with the proper status "closed" or "decommisioned".

Thanks!

/Örjan

thanks looking into that, will fix in next app update.

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 5:06 Quote
Is there any plan to allow the app to work in landscape mode?

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
In the new events feature, when you try to see the location of the event, the app stops working and has to be re-installed. (using iphone 5s, ios 10.3.1)

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
I've used ride tracking in app for the 1 st time today. After saving and uploading i dont see it in my ridelogs. App shows it as already uploaded. Does it need time to replicate?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016061
Mobile Version of Website