Trailforks Mobile App Feedback & Bugs

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Mobile App Feedback & Bugs
O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
Kligman wrote:
I have seen other people post this issue. I just did a ride that between 2 Garmin devices and Gaia on an iPhone everyone got around 1,000 ft. for climb and descent. But Trailforks shows 2,154 ft of climb-- which is ridiculous! I have seen previous answers from Trailforks say different apps use different ways of correcting for errors, etc, but that wouldn't explain a DOUBLING of the actual vertical. Please, Trailforks, fix this! I love that you keep cumulative ride logs for the year on the site, but if the vertical is just made up, its not really all that useful...

This same thing has happened to me too and I think it is also effecting route and trail uploads. For example, Trailforks shows the "Cottonwood Tour" route in Salida Colorado as having 3,424' of ascending and descending but MTB project (and my Strava route when I rode the Cottonwood Tour route) both report 2,520' of ascending and descending.

How can that be?

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
I tried searching "route Garmin IQ" and didn't find this, so hopefully this is not too absurd.

I just loaded the Trailforks Garmin IQ app on my Edge 520 so that I don't have to keep pulling my phone out of my pocket in areas I don't know well. I figure I'll need a combination of the trailforks basemap (haven't done that yet) and routes others have created. I went riding this morning in a busy area I know well (Albion Hills and Palgrave Forest near Bolton, Ontario) to see what the routes are like and how this thing works.

When I got to the Palgrave parking lot, I searched "routes nearby" and showing on the Edge 520 were several dozen (lots, many screeefuls!) similarly named routes of different distances for nearby Albion Hills (eg. Albion Hills Advanced or Albion Hills Intermediate...). It was obvious that these were routes and not individual trails by the reported lengths (13-20km). There are a lot of short trails there and it was almost impossible to figure out based on the route summary what went where, so I "downloaded" a few of them and decided I would look later.

There was nothing at all in the list on the Garmin for Palgrave, which is where I was.

Now back home, at a computer:

- There is exactly one route for Palgrave, which I saved to my trailforks app and now shows up on the Garmin. (there were zero for this site when I was physically there and looked at "nearby routes" on the Garmin!).

- There are zero routes for Albion Hills, whereas when I was near there, yet the Garmin had showed many!

- The routes I thought I downloaded the the Garmin from the "nearby routes" suggestions don't seem to be anywhere I can get at.I had tried launching one when I was there and that seemed to work, so it seemed that it did get downloaded, but when I tried several more, neither that one, nor others showed up in "my routes" either on the Garmin or other devices.

---> Why do I see different totally routes with the Garmin "nearby routes" or when searching the computer/phone app? How do I save routes downloaded on the Garmin to see later?

Thanks for any help!

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
Kligman wrote:
I have seen other people post this issue. I just did a ride that between 2 Garmin devices and Gaia on an iPhone everyone got around 1,000 ft. for climb and descent. But Trailforks shows 2,154 ft of climb-- which is ridiculous! I have seen previous answers from Trailforks say different apps use different ways of correcting for errors, etc, but that wouldn't explain a DOUBLING of the actual vertical. Please, Trailforks, fix this! I love that you keep cumulative ride logs for the year on the site, but if the vertical is just made up, its not really all that useful...

100% agree! How many others are seeing this same thing? Are people just accepting these higher numbers?

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:28 Quote
It would be nice if the app could determine heading from gps also, not from magnetometer/compass only.
Atleast this seems to be the case. I struggled with map orientation and heading indicator, which both point constantly to north. Found out that my phone doesn't have magnetometer (yeah, my bad).
This makes navigating new trails really frustrating. I can't just take a glance and right away know where I am and where I'm heading.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
Shumaker wrote:
Kligman wrote:

100% agree! How many others are seeing this same thing? Are people just accepting these higher numbers?

This is a fairly common repeating comment about the way Trailforks records elevation changes. The consistent complaint throughout the thread is that the app significantly over-estimates elevation (which is true). The consistent reply is that all apps have a different behavior in this regard and tuning for multiple devices is hard (which is also true).

Obviously solving the problem isn't impossible (Strava managed to be more consistent with the dedicated GPS devices across "all the phones") but I'm sure it's a lot of work, for a small team, who seems more intent on providing features and other service improvements rather than devote a lot of time to fixing it. I tend to record my rides on a stand alone app (Locus Maps is my app of choice) and upload a ride via the website, and I find my mapping app does a better job with elevation. For my part I'd see more value in integrating the Trailforks app with Locus Map (or Orux, or Gaia, etc) for recording as they've done with Strava which would solve 2 problems and get them access to more of my track recordings.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2019 at 2:14 Quote
Hi,
im getting empty main menu app and ALL CAPS text in menus on android
screenshots

Environment:
- Device Xaiomi MI2 A2 with Android 9
- Trailforks installed today (27.07.2019)

I hope this is enough information.

Posted: Jul 27, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
I love the 911 GPS coordinate feature. Is there any way to add an "I'm OK" GPS feature? I was on a ride which should have taken 3 hours, but I ended up taking 7 hours as a sweep making sure everyone made it out ok. With no cell service, people were starting to worry... it would be nice to be able to ping them with a simple "everything is ok".

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
uncyclist wrote:
Ha22y wrote:
Hi,
screenshots

Environment:

I came here to report the exact same thing, CAPS _underscores_ empty menus etc

Me three. Kind of like it is failing to load localized strings for internal labels, or something along those lines. I've tried switching languages and switching back to English, and then just uninstalling/reinstalling, but no change.

One other detail fwiw, is this wasn't happening immediately after my last update -- I used it to record a ride earlier in the day prior to first seeing this (two nights ago), and it looked fine, menu had its labels etc. Only sometime after browsing through the ridelog later, did this start happening.

I'm on LG G4 with Android 6.0.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
Hey this may or may not be a bug in your new trail activities system, but I noticed when I clicked on "E-bike" that the system assumes that every trail that doesn't specifically say "E-Bikes allowed" becomes "E-bikes not allowed". Is this correct?

Mod O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
Ha22y wrote:
Hi,
screenshots

Environment:

There was a bug in a language update for about 22 hours 2 days ago. There were about 30k phones that synced this change and will be messed Frown

If you leave your app running it will eventually automatically sync the fixed language data and fix itself. Or you can navigate to the settings page and then the language page and pull down to force a sync of the app's language data. Which is fun to do when the menu's have no labels! Re-installing the app will also fix the issue.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Ha22y wrote:
Hi,
screenshots

Environment:

There was a bug in a language update for about 22 hours 2 days ago. There were about 30k phones that synced this change and will be messed Frown

If you leave your app running it will eventually automatically sync the fixed language data and fix itself. Or you can navigate to the settings page and then the language page and pull down to force a sync of the app's language data. Which is fun to do when the menu's have no labels! Re-installing the app will also fix the issue.

Thanks! This solved the issue.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 22:28 Quote
Pull down refresh didn't fix it at first (never noticed that before), but checked again and all good here now too. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
When searching trails in my region (using the mobile app), roads do not show up in the search results (even with "all" selected) but they do on the desktop site. In my region, many trails are linked by dirt/gravel roads...would be nice to have this search functionality on the mobile app...am I missing a button or something simple?

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 16:16 Quote
I have noticed an inconsistency in trailforks ridelogs Anna trail credits towards badges.

For example, Jefferson forest, Richmond Hill, Ontario, swan Lake Loop was logged as ridden on July 28th. Yes looking at the Jefferson forest completionist badge the trail is not listed as ridden.

I have a few others like this exist.

My riding partner and I also ride the exact same trails in the same day. They have been credited the trail, Passport and I have not.

Strange. What's the resolution?

Mod O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 23:21 Quote
dangaras wrote:
I have noticed an inconsistency in trailforks ridelogs Anna trail credits towards badges.

For example, Jefferson forest, Richmond Hill, Ontario, swan Lake Loop was logged as ridden on July 28th. Yes looking at the Jefferson forest completionist badge the trail is not listed as ridden.

I have a few others like this exist.

My riding partner and I also ride the exact same trails in the same day. They have been credited the trail, Passport and I have not.

Strange. What's the resolution?

There is inherent inconsistency with GPS and devices and algorithms to match your GPS data against the mapped trails. This is nothing unique to Trailforks. You'll just have to go ride the trails again, being sure to ride the entire trail AS MAPPED on Trailforks. Badges are just for fun, so we cannot spend much resources micro-managing them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013510
Mobile Version of Website