Trailforks Mobile App Feedback & Bugs

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Mobile App Feedback & Bugs
Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 16:08 Quote
Finally got around to downloading the app so far no issues will be taking it out on the trails with me over the weekend so far because of Trailforks already have route and new line picked out.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 10:39 Quote
Will there be OSM maps in the mobile app in the future? I´m using iOS.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
PatternsOn wrote:
Will there be OSM maps in the mobile app in the future? I´m using iOS.

Yes kind of, our own version of them.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 15:19 Quote
Hi Canadaka,

Not sure if something like this is in the pipeline; I'm thinking from the perspective of trail maintenance. The ability to post a trail condition report or trail service report from the app would be very handy, especially if you could add a photo and geotag to that mobile report. It would let the community advise trail builders / landowners of an issue, give an exact location, and a visual on what the issue is, which would expedite repairs.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 19:01 Quote
Wyrmblight wrote:
Hi Canadaka,

Not sure if something like this is in the pipeline; I'm thinking from the perspective of trail maintenance. The ability to post a trail condition report or trail service report from the app would be very handy, especially if you could add a photo and geotag to that mobile report. It would let the community advise trail builders / landowners of an issue, give an exact location, and a visual on what the issue is, which would expedite repairs.

hehe I cannot tell if this is a joke? Wink
The Trailforks App already does everything you mentioned! In fact it did so before the launch of the main Trailforks app in August. Before that we had a "Trail Report" app launched last spring. We merged all the features of the report all into the main Trailforks map app.

The reporting feature is mentioned in the app description in the appstore.

Click the men button in the top-left of the app, one of the menu options is "Trail Reports".

You can add reports with status & condition.
Can add photos from your phone camera.
Geotags the report with phone gps.
Has pre-defined descriptions to save typing.
Can log work done to trail, number of hours and people.

photo

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 18:36 Quote
Turned out I was having app troubles. Had to re-install. I'm seeing the report function now, and can add photos & work records. Still can't figure out how to geotag the report with a GPS location. All it lets me do is indicate which trail I'm on, but I can't tag with my precise coords. Am I missing something?

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Nov 10, 2015 at 20:09 Quote
Wyrmblight wrote:
Turned out I was having app troubles. Had to re-install. I'm seeing the report function now, and can add photos & work records. Still can't figure out how to geotag the report with a GPS location. All it lets me do is indicate which trail I'm on, but I can't tag with my precise coords. Am I missing something?

If you add a photo it gets geo-tagged.
example: http://www.trailforks.com/report/32405/

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 11:25 Quote
Two issues I've found - 1 website (minor), 1 app.

Website: your page for the app shows the text "iPhone, iPad" under the Google Play icon and "Android" under the Apple Store icon.

http://www.trailforks.com/apps/map/

App: if I don't have Wi-fi turned on, every time I tap a trail I get the message prompt "Improve location accuracy? This app wants to change yuour device settings: Alow your device to scan for Wi-Fi networks, even when Wi-Fi is turned off"

The three options are Never, Not now, and Yes. If I select anything but yes, the prompt continues to be displayed until I select Never or Not now several times. As soon as I tap on another trail, the same prompt pops up.

Not sure why others haven't reported this as it's extremely annoying. Maybe it's just my phone?

Device: Google Nexus 4

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 13:46 Quote
redpoint wrote:
Two issues I've found - 1 website (minor), 1 app.

Website: your page for the app shows the text "iPhone, iPad" under the Google Play icon and "Android" under the Apple Store icon.

http://www.trailforks.com/apps/map/

App: if I don't have Wi-fi turned on, every time I tap a trail I get the message prompt "Improve location accuracy? This app wants to change yuour device settings: Alow your device to scan for Wi-Fi networks, even when Wi-Fi is turned off"

The three options are Never, Not now, and Yes. If I select anything but yes, the prompt continues to be displayed until I select Never or Not now several times. As soon as I tap on another trail, the same prompt pops up.

Not sure why others haven't reported this as it's extremely annoying. Maybe it's just my phone?

Device: Google Nexus 4

I've never seen this wifi problem, I cannot reproduce on my 5.1 device, no one else has reported it. I think it's either a problem on your device or a problem with Android 4.3. The app until a couple weeks ago required Android 4.4 and above, but the recent updated added support from 4.1 and up.

I will try and setup Android 4.3 on one of my older devices.
*edit* i have an old 4.1 device and I can reproduce the problem on it, I guess i always had wifi on.

Posted: Nov 28, 2015 at 22:25 Quote
Couple of things I've thought could be a good addition to the site:

The ability to rate,report or comment on entire riding areas.

Sometimes i don't want to report on every single trail and a general report would suffice. As well, some areas will have a couple of worthwhile tracks but a lot of old/unmaintained trails (or just be entirely rad) and i think an area rating might encourage more rider feedback. I know i would use it Big Grin

Also, I'm looking to make some broad edits for my riding area (there are doubles + mislabeled + mismapped sections of trail) and was wondering if having a link to the area administrator might facilitate this.

As always, loving the site. Keep up the good work.

Posted: Nov 29, 2015 at 19:56 Quote
Yeah, so, never mind.
... I found the bulk posting option.
... and noticed the average trail rating stat on riding areas main pageFacepalm
Not exactly what i was thinking, but close enough.
I still stink the ability to comment overall on an areas main would be beneficial.

As far as cleaning up inconsistencies in a area? Is that strictly an admin's domain. Or is there a way to go about it without editing individual issues?

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2015 at 10:56 Quote
you'll have to edit each trail individually. There is a bulk mod tool, but it only allows moving and deleting trails atm.

Posted: Dec 31, 2015 at 17:34 Quote
Same device as my last post, perhaps it's resolved in a newer OS.

When you change the map orientation on Google maps (2 fingers, rotate), a compass icon appears in the top right corner. Clicking this icon takes the map back to 'North up' orientation. In the Trailforks app, this icon is missing.

Google Maps on the left, Trailforks app on the right.
photo

I've tried this also on my Amazon Fire 7 (2015 version), and it has the same issue. However, on this device, if I select the menu at top left (directly left of "Trailforks"), the compass appears briefly as the Road/Topo/Satellite icon moves to the right to make room for the dropdown menu.

It will also briefly appear at that location on my Nexus if I switch from another application to Trailforks. Seems as though you're layering that icon on top of the compass. Not sure if this is on purpose or not, but it's a little anoying when you accidentally change the orientation of the screen and can't get it back to North up without guestimating or closing/re-opening the app.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Dec 31, 2015 at 22:04 Quote
Yes I know of this issue, its on our list. On iOS its visible. We are trying to only do a few updates to the app a year, since the upgrade % to new versions is pretty slow. So a fix probably only come for a couple months.

There is a way to re-orientate the map to north though. Double tapping the yellow locate button centers the map on your location and zooms in, this also re-orientates north.

Posted: Jan 1, 2016 at 19:37 Quote
It actually reorients to north up by single tapping the yellow button on both of my devices. Never realized that before.

Thanks for the workaround!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026814
Mobile Version of Website