Shimano clutch "on" making it much harder to shift normal?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano clutch "on" making it much harder to shift normal?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2016 at 2:26 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
When I tried to grease my girlfriend's clutch she slapped me Big Grin

Used the wrong "grease" did we?

Posted: Jun 18, 2016 at 2:41 Quote
Its normall that shifting becomes harder when clutch is on. Going to a bigger ring makes the cage go forward and that is the movement you restrict when you put the clutch on.

Posted: May 4, 2017 at 3:23 Quote
parker wrote:

I've been having the same issue since I broke off my non-clutch XT and upgraded to the newer generation with a clutch. I installed it, calibrated the shifting and then immediately hated it with the clutch on because shifting into a larger cog was so difficult.

I started doing some reading and came across your post about greasing your clutch because it looked dry, that immediately threw up a red-flag for me. Never grease your clutch, it's meant to be dry and have frication, otherwise it wouldn't be a clutch. I found an article on Bike Radar and it explains quite simply that you can/need to adjust the friction of the clutch to tune it to your liking. It's likely that on new bikes equipped clutched derailers that they're pre-tuned so the bike feels right as it leaves the factory, or your local bike shop adjusts the clutch as part of the assembly process. If you're like me and have purchased an XT-Shadow off of the shelf, it's likely that you will need to tune it to your bike to get the right feel and function out of it. Then in both cases, as you put lots of km on your bike performing hundreds of shifts, the clutch will slowly wear and need further adjusting to keep the right amount of tension on it.

Now that you have grease in your gf's clutch it will be slippery for quite some time. Although it's probably still better than having the clutch turned off, the grease will greatly reduce the effectiveness of the clutch so the derailer probably still swings around and chatters quite a bit but overtime it will get better, and her shifting will get more difficult again.

I didn't come here to berate you for greasing the clutch, I just want to make anyone else in our situation is aware that grease is not a good idea and the solution is to adjust the friction on the clutch by taking the clutch cover off and adjust the screw that loads the steel band (see Bike Radar article).

Happy trails!

Source:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-how-to-adjust-a-shimano-shadow-plus-rear-derailleur-36461/

Actually the Clutch is meant to be greased.
It comes with grease and Shimano recommends to grease it when noisy or hard to operate.
See Shimano's manual page 25
http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0001-05-ENG.pdf

Posted: May 5, 2017 at 2:38 Quote
Shifters can influence the feel of the shift, XT are a lot lighter action than Deore.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 7:47 Quote
Gato-Pirao wrote:
Actually the Clutch is meant to be greased.
It comes with grease and Shimano recommends to grease it when noisy or hard to operate.
See Shimano's manual page 25
http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0001-05-ENG.pdf

Actually, its not. The only "greasable" part in the assembly is the threaded portion of the threaded shaft (Shimano calls it the "Plate axle") that holds the clutch mechanism. They specifically state:

DO NOT apply grease.
If the outer surface of the
roller clutch with non
groove part gets grease on
it, it will slip and the friction
function will not work.

Edit: It appears that the newer (m8000) clutches actually can be greased. See pp. 28 http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RD0004-08-ENG.pdf

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
manachim wrote:
Assuming you already using zee, then you should know when its working properly.

I will try adjusting the friction of the clutch or check the shifter cable line. Maybe it need to replace (inner and outer)

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011375
Mobile Version of Website