650B for my next build, is it worth it over 26 inch?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
650B for my next build, is it worth it over 26 inch?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 3:22 Quote
Hey folks, I'm thinking about going 650B on my next build, either Stanton or Cotic. My question is, is it worth it or should I stick with 26 inch? Is 650B a sign that things are changing or is it just a fad that will die out kind of like 29er? How many of you folk favour 650B over 26? I can't make my mind up!! Cheers Rob

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 4:38 Quote
I've not seen any evidence of 29ers dying out. Don't pretty much all the XC race bikes run them now? I wouldn't concentrate on the size of the wheels. Build a bike based around the frame and a decent fork, then just buy what size wheels it's built for.

They might feel a little different, but it's hard to compare like for like as most bikes are designed around the size of wheel they run.

In reality, there's very little difference in rolling radius between 27.5 and 26 inch wheels once you have factored in different variations of tyres.

My first proper bike was a Voodoo Hoodoo (26) and now I'm on a 2016 Stumpy (650B).

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 5:00 Quote
29ers are firmly established and here to stay, and the move to 650b has been industry wide so I doubt it's a fad. If you're planning to build a new hardtail I'd go 27.5, or even 27.5+.

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 5:07 Quote
Ah cool, I guess I've just not seem many 29ers on the trails. No offence meant to anyone running them! Both manufactures I'm looking at do 26" and 650 options. I've never ridden a 650 so might try on at a shop before I take the plunge.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 13:40 Quote
I ride a 650b hardtail and had to borrow a friends 26r for a race. For me I really noticed it on long climbs, 650b really does roll over obstacles better. the 26r felt really fun descending but,I can have more fun and plough through rough stuff with a lot more ease on my 650b. In my opinion go try it,you won't go back ;-)

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 6:07 Quote
I actually had a go on a 650b bike at the weekend. Not far though, I did feel a bit difference to be honest so we'll see, there's £165 in between the prices of the 26 and 650b versions of the frames I'm looking at.

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 8:19 Quote
Personally I'd pay the extra but me being 6ft 3 means a 26r is always gonna feel small to me,hence why I'd go 650b, it's personnel preference,get a good spin in on one if you can,climbing and descending so you can feel the differences. Best of luck ????

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 10:25 Quote
I've got both 26 and 27.5, and i'm a very reasonable person, so here's what I always tell people who ask questions like this...

If you are asking "Should I trade in my 26" bike for a 27.5" bike?", my answer is NO.
If you are asking "I'm in the market for a new bike, should I buy 27.5?", my answer is YES.

27.5 will replace 26. So, if you are buying/building another bike regardless, you definitely want to go with 27.5 However, don't go to 27.5 expecting a whole new experience or even an "upgrade". It really isn't. Rolling momentum is ever so slightly better, and agility is ever so slightly worse. That's it. It really is halfway between 29 and 26 in terms of feel, but that doesn't make it "the best of both worlds" as it's marketed. It really makes it nearly inconsequential. Alot of guys won't even notice.

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 13:07 Quote
Completed a 650b conversion of my 2008 Titus Switchblade. It required some machine work of the Horst System rockers to accept a modern standard size shock (Fox Float CTD), but the transformation has been spectacular....only down side is tire clearance which limits widths to 2.20. Doesn't bother me at all cuz the tubeless Continental X-Kings are awesome for the riding I'm doing. Bottomline, 650b/27.5 is a quantum leap from the 26" performance....do not hesitate, dump ur 26er and go 650b, it is better, much better in every way!
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012067
Mobile Version of Website