Rear suspension/linkage creaking noise

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rear suspension/linkage creaking noise
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2015 at 21:57 Quote
I have a 2013 Demo 8 Carbon and whenever I am hitting jumps and landing there is a creaking sound in the rear. Sounds like my rear suspension (Cane Creek DB Coil 450lb spring), but could it be my linkage? is there a way to fix this annoying sound?

Posted: Aug 20, 2015 at 12:02 Quote
might be worth removing the shock and cycling the suspension to hear/feel any creaking or roughness in the bearings.

Posted: Aug 20, 2015 at 22:19 Quote
brianl wrote:
might be worth removing the shock and cycling the suspension to hear/feel any creaking or roughness in the bearings.

how do you cycle it?

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 3:58 Quote
Simple really. Once you’ve removed the shock there’s nothing to stop all the linkages and bearings from moving to just push and pull the rear end until you’ve cycled it through the whole range of travel. It should be nice and smooth so you’ll be able to feel if there’s any play or rough bearings / bushes.

Also, do you know if the shock is fitted with a standard CC spring? I picked up a 2nd hand 2012 CCDB fitted with an aftermarket ti spring and the clearance between the spring and the shock body was non-existent so it used to creak/squeak something rotten under high loads due to rubbing. Might be worth checking that as well.

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 8:49 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
Simple really. Once you’ve removed the shock there’s nothing to stop all the linkages and bearings from moving to just push and pull the rear end until you’ve cycled it through the whole range of travel. It should be nice and smooth so you’ll be able to feel if there’s any play or rough bearings / bushes.

Also, do you know if the shock is fitted with a standard CC spring? I picked up a 2nd hand 2012 CCDB fitted with an aftermarket ti spring and the clearance between the spring and the shock body was non-existent so it used to creak/squeak something rotten under high loads due to rubbing. Might be worth checking that as well.
yes it does have a CC spring. I will do that cycle today and see if it resolves any issues. Thanks man!

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 16:43 Quote
EMMURE621 wrote:
Pablo16v wrote:

yes it does have a CC spring. I will do that cycle today and see if it resolves any issues. Thanks man!

hey man I tried that and im still having that creaking noise.....any idea?

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 4:33 Quote
Spray the pivots with lube. If that fixes the problem, it might be time to replace the bearings.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 4:41 Quote
Take the linkage and give it a good clean, might be some dirt around the bearings

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 15:37 Quote
jonus216 wrote:
Spray the pivots with lube. If that fixes the problem, it might be time to replace the bearings.

I sprayed the pivots with lube before I went riding and it seemed to do the same thing and I took it to my local shop which is telling me that it is the normal demo 8 Carbon cry which is the so-called bending and flexing of the carbon frame. Which doesn't make sense to me because the front triangle is carbon and the rear is not

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 15:38 Quote
mretard wrote:
Take the linkage and give it a good clean, might be some dirt around the bearings

I will try that out. Look at the other responses that I sent to another guy regarding this issue that is on this page and tell me what you think

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 1:20 Quote
If you've taken the shock out and cycled it and sprayed it in lube then the last thing to do is my suggestion of taking the whole linkage out, take the bearings out if possible also and clean them in warm water with a small brush, regrease the bearings before putting them back in too, give the linkage a good soak and clean and refit and let me know the outcome.

I had a similar problem while riding my bike and it creaking and grinding, turned out to be the BB was on it's last legs with no play in it and i had one nakered bearing

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 20:13 Quote
I had a similar issue. Couldn't figure out the noise and it sounded awful. Back end looked fine. It turns out sound and vibration can travel far through the bike. What I thought was a f'd bb or loose pivot was my headset crammed full of dirt and in poor shape internally. When I was off the bike and rocking the bike it was the headset, when I sat and pedaled, it was creaking out the cranks. Took it all apart. New bears cleaned and greased. No creaking..

So short story is the vibration (creaking) was traveling through the bike and out the cranks/pedals (with weight on). Worth a look imo..

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 23:34 Quote
^^^ hahahaha. Yup...
Start by tightening your pedals and lubing the seatpost. I wish it is always that simple.

Posted: Aug 29, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
jonus216 wrote:
^^^ hahahaha. Yup...
Start by tightening your pedals and lubing the seatpost. I wish it is always that simple.

Hahahaha sounds like I'll need alot of lube !

Posted: Aug 29, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
WeirdBeardWilson wrote:
I had a similar issue. Couldn't figure out the noise and it sounded awful. Back end looked fine. It turns out sound and vibration can travel far through the bike. What I thought was a f'd bb or loose pivot was my headset crammed full of dirt and in poor shape internally. When I was off the bike and rocking the bike it was the headset, when I sat and pedaled, it was creaking out the cranks. Took it all apart. New bears cleaned and greased. No creaking..

So short story is the vibration (creaking) was traveling through the bike and out the cranks/pedals (with weight on). Worth a look imo..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010797
Mobile Version of Website