Vallee Bras Du Nord - Anyone been?

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Vallee Bras Du Nord - Anyone been?
Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 6:57 Quote
DrMaturin wrote:
I just got back from Vallee Bras-du-Nord, camped at Camp Shannahan and rode the trails there. Loved it, especially Nielson Nord and Nielson Sud. The map is misleading as it lists the trail as 10k, which I assumed was the entire loop. Rode up the fire road for what seemed to be 10k uphill on it's own! Found out after 10K is just the descent along the river and entire loop is actually 20K. This should be corrected otherwise noobs to the area think they missed the turn in or got lost somehow. Also the scale for the Nord part of the climb is wrong so I was frequently checking the map thinking I had missed the trail head. Also on the map the whole descent is marked as black diamond but signage on the trail for Nielson Nord is actually double black diamond. Not that it was all that difficult really and the real techy bits are infrequent, not long, and can be walked by anyone not confident to ride through. I was told the new map next season would address these inconsistencies. Also other highlights for me were sucre d'orge and the beurre d'érable trails, these are flowy, fun, with bermed corners, and are intermediate level.Scenery at Shannahan Sector is spectacular as all the pics above have shown. Here is a link to mine...

https://goo.gl/photos/5dFesusrvC4hipex6

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 at 18:47 Quote
i think the nelson north close during hunting season,mjust check before

Posted: Sep 12, 2016 at 6:45 Quote
jimbsport wrote:
i think the nelson north close during hunting season,mjust check before

Wow - this scared me! But I called and they said Neilson north closes on October 10th, which thankfully will be after our visit.

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 7:30 Quote
The trails at Valle Du Nord are awesome and @SentiersduMoulin, which is close by, adds amazing but more advanced level trails to the mix. In my opinion, this area of the north east can easily become a mecca for mountain biking, with Quebec city so close and add Mont-Sainte-Anne, also not too far, for some sick DH trails, and it makes for a great mtb vacation!

Posted: Nov 9, 2016 at 18:25 Quote
I just spent a few days with Gravity Logic in Vallée Bras du Nord. That can only means something HOT is coming, right?

On the map, the actual trail length is listed for the trail itself, not for the loop to access it since you can reach it from various way. As a matter of fact, from the Shanahan trailhead, it's a 20k loop to climb up and ride both section down.

Next year, a few enduro sector is opening up in the Shanahan area. And the Boréale trail double lenght to the top of the mountain. And many more goodies are on the table for the next 5 years.

Don't forget that Bras du Nord is 2 very distinct area: St-Raymond and Shanahan valley. The first one offer more short runs, short fun descent, and some more technical trails at the ski center (which is NOT lift-serviced). The second one, Shanahan, have a more trail-specific feel, with more natural connection, longer distances and way more vertical. 2 destinations in one!

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 at 15:48 Quote
Didn't get to go in 2016 but I'm gonna this year for sure

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 11:23 Quote
Ever since seeing this thread with those amazing pictures, I've wanted to go here.
So Im pumped I'll be spending a few nights here in July, tent camping.
Unfortunately though, will probably only spend one day riding, on a rental. With that being said does anybody have recommendations for trails with the best scenery, not necessarily the best riding? That might sound odd, but I'll be with my gf and I think she enjoys stopping beside the waterfalls, little bridges, viewpoints etc more than she would like finding the trails with the jumps, extreme rock gardens etc.
Also any recommendations on the bike rentals themselves. I've noticed they rent Rocky Mountains. However the article on the PB homepage the guy states he rented a specialized 6 fattie. Also is it wise to rent the higher end full suspension models? Gf and I both ride hardtail locally, but I think out there the full suspension would be a nice luxury.
Thanks

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 11:52 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
Ever since seeing this thread with those amazing pictures, I've wanted to go here.
Unfortunately though, will probably only spend one day riding, on a rental. With that being said does anybody have recommendations for trails with the best scenery, not necessarily the best riding? That might sound odd, but I'll be with my gf and I think she enjoys stopping beside the waterfalls, little bridges, viewpoints etc more than she would like finding the trails with the jumps, extreme rock gardens etc.
Also any recommendations on the bike rentals themselves. I've noticed they rent Rocky Mountains. However the article on the PB homepage the guy states he rented a specialized 6 fattie. Also is it wise to rent the higher end full suspension models? Gf and I both ride hardtail locally, but I think out there the full suspension would be a nice luxury.
Thanks

VBN is a great place to bring girlfriends or family. Definitely head to the Shannahan sector, Beurre d'erable and Barbe a Gendron are easy flowy, and Grand Ours along the river has lots of nice views. Enjoy!

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 12:02 Quote
Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.
I believe we're camping in the Shanahan sector so that should make things nice and easy.
I'll have to make sure we do the Grand Ours.
Thanks

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
Thanks

Do Neilson and combine both; you'll get the best riding and some of the best scenery.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 6:09 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
blazekelly wrote:
Thanks

Do Neilson and combine both; you'll get the best riding and some of the best scenery.

If his girlfriend is not into extreme rock gardens the Full Neilson may not be the right trail, but it's a awesome trail and the waterfall is a plus.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 12:30 Quote
Is the Neilson the trail that has the rock garden in Canadmos pictures?
For reference she handled places like the Brant tract, Lindsay tract and Buckwallow so I'm not tooo worried. It will all be worth it to get the reward of the waterfall haha.
Every person has mentioned the Neilson so I imagine we should make the most of it while we're out that way.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 12:54 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
For reference she handled places like the Brant tract, Lindsay tract and Buckwallow so I'm not tooo worried. It will all be worth it to get the reward of the waterfall haha.
Every person has mentioned the Neilson so I imagine we should make the most of it while we're out that way.

Yes it is. Neilson is technical, perhaps very technical in spots, but it is not steep nor does it have very long sustained "down" sections. You can pretty much ride it at your own pace. The rock garden picture (if I remember correctly) is one of the rockier spots on the entire trail. A lot of the rest of the trail is on rock, yes, but it is smooth rock like this:
Trail

I'd say if you can ride most of the trails at Buckwallow or Porcupine, you'll have no trouble with Neilson. Both of those places have sections that are much harder than anything on Neilson.

Posted: Apr 10, 2017 at 17:11 Quote
IMO you can't go to VBN and not do the Neilson. I'm 3hrs drive from VBN and I often think about driving over for a single run, sleeping and coming home. It's that good scenery and trail wise. It's not easy, but like Canadmos said, you can really go at your own pace and not worry too much.

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 8:10 Quote
blazekelly wrote:

Then the Full Neilson would be a great trail for you and your girlfriend!

Views: 206    Faves: 1    Comments: 2

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008287
Mobile Version of Website