When will this madness stop?

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
When will this madness stop?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 10, 2015 at 21:59 Quote
When mental health problems are taken seriously in the US. Its not the gun, its the shooter.

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 12:05 Quote
andrewwieland13 wrote:
When mental health problems are taken seriously in the US. Its not the gun, its the shooter.

the gun definitely helps though....

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 16:02 Quote
What's wrong with the madness???

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 7:17 Quote
Looking purely from the outside-in, I don't understand it.

I understand the reasons for and against owning a gun and believing that you should be allowed to carry one, but at the same time, some things the US government seem to do absolutely lose me.

Few weeks ago there was reports of 2/3 shootings inside a week at the same college in Texas, I believe at the same time the state passed a law allowing people to carry concealed weapons on college campus'...how is that helping?

What do people think in all honesty that live in the states? My only view from Americans is what you see on facebook when a random post about gun law flashes up and half the comments are slating guns and the other half are defending them.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 23:59 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Why not

Why not what?

"The Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit organisation that compiles data on gun violence in the US, says 559 children aged 11 or under have been killed or injured in the United States in gun violence so far this year."

Quote I read in an article after an 8 year old was shot by her 11 year old neighbour, because she wouldn't let him in her house to see her puppy...now I see that this is probably more a mental health issue, like andrewwieland13 mentioned above, but 559 children since 1st January?! I get it too that a lot of these may have been accidents where the parents left the weapon in an area the children could get it, but it's still frightening to see how much gun related accidents and crime there is in the states.

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 8:26 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Not really

Bet your mad keen on debate aren't ya haha

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
A scary statistic i read recently. I forget the source but probably easily found on the interwebnet, was that more Americans have been killed in the last year due to guns than have died by terrorism related incidents (including US forces in Afghanistan/Iraq) since 9/11. Which one of those things does America consider to be the bigger threat to their "freedom"?

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 12:26 Quote
Blaming abstracts and inanimate objects for our mistakes and problems is what has created this situation to begin with. The "everyone is a victim" PC society created over the last two decades will continue to spawn more frequent and more tragic events as time passes.

Until we wake up and point our fingers where the blame belongs - the mirror - we will never make positive progress on issues such as murder, racism, bullying...etc. Banning guns will only make the problem worse, as will abolishing "religion", or creating laws which require "equal treatment" for people of different races. You cannot mandate evil away, especially if the mandates in question don't even apply to the source of the evil.

What to do? How about instead of perpetually screwing up our education system by continually adding more and more burdensome requirements, regulations, and tests, we turn the focus to the source - the child and his/her parents? How about instead of trying to get rid of guns, we turn the focus to the education and mental health of the gun owner? How about instead of trying to mandate equality regardless of race, we simply remove the concept of race altogether?

The answer to the above "why don't we" questions, is the same as the answer to the original question "why does this happen?". Human nature. It is far more profitable for both sides to fight than to agree. You can't have a "cause" when you don't have an "opposition", and if you can't have a "cause", how are you supposed to get money out of people? Without bad parents, we don't need the testing and regulation services for the schools the kids go to, without gun violence, what would the national media have to get you fired up over? Without racism, what would groups like "Black Lives Matter" have to profit from?

So you see, it's actually very simple. No one really wants these problems to go away. They are too profitable.

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
Blah blah blah blah

Posted: Nov 7, 2015 at 11:50 Quote
America is a pinnacle of violence. Never mind that there is far more violence happening in places that are not the United States.

Though, I understand that those who don't understand humanity will still point fingers and demand an impossible fix.

Also; don't look for understading unless you are getting it from the shooters mouth, because everybody in the states does not know why either. And it's not a gun issue, it's a mental health issue. Take the guns, you still have knives, bats and fire...

Need to edit this in: Gun violence in the United States has dropped significantly since the late 1900's. If we remove the gun statistic, and just say "violence", the UK has far more after bars hours violence, that makes the US look tame.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013252
Mobile Version of Website