2008 Specialized BigHit 1

PB Forum :: Downhill
2008 Specialized BigHit 1
O+
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
bromontrider wrote:
Coolest thing about the bighit is you can upgrade the frame to a full 8.2" of travel later, something stinky cant do.

Is this really true with the 08 bighit fsr 1 kuz i hav one and some people hav told me i cant go past 7.5 whereas others say i can get 8.2 with the fsr1

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:44 Quote
heres my situation. i live in wyoming and the nearist ski lift is 3 hrs away. i definatly plan to make the drive to do some dh. but would the bighit be ok for all mountain? im willing to struggle a bit to get uphill if its a good ride down. also is the big hit a good free ride bike? what is specialized best free ride rig?

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
its perfect for freeride all mountain it wouldnt be too bad as longs as you dont use a really low gear cuz if you do the peddaling turns to shit

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 22:46 Quote
frhaydendh wrote:
bromontrider wrote:
Coolest thing about the bighit is you can upgrade the frame to a full 8.2" of travel later, something stinky cant do.

Is this really true with the 08 bighit fsr 1 kuz i hav one and some people hav told me i cant go past 7.5 whereas others say i can get 8.2 with the fsr1

On the 08, you can definately upgrade to 8.2" travel like you can on the BigHit II. All the BigHit frames are the same, the only difference is that Specialized had a custom sized shock made for them (an 8.75" x 2.5") for the BigHit I and II, wheras the BigHit III has a standard-sized shock (an 8.75" x 2.75") with a longer stroke. All you have to do is get a 8.75" x 2.75" shock from Marzocchi, Fox, RockShox, etc., and you'll get the 8.2" travel. The length of the shock will not change, but the stroke will be longer than the stock shock.

And to FRFLcraig, the BigHit might be OK for all-mountain use, but it definately won't me brilliant. Specialized's best DH / FR rig is the Demo.
I'm 14 and I have actually managed to pedal my Demo up a mountain whilst keeping up with my dad on a Stumpjumper HT. I did have the ProPedal on full, and the Fork in the Floodgate mode, and I also raised my seat up. But it's really not that bad at all, even for someone like me. The Demo is slightly lighter than the BigHit and it pedals a little better too, but I don't think you should have much trouble with the BH at all.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 15:41 Quote
has anyone put a front derailur on a bighit to make it more of an all mountain bike? if so how does it work for riding up hill?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
z1 sport sucks, and so does the big hit. i have had mine for like 4 months and every thing that possibley can go wrong went wrongMadder . Fork, rear suspension, booth brakes +++Really Mad

but the frame could stand WWIIItup

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
frhaydendh wrote:
bromontrider wrote:

On the 08, you can definately upgrade to 8.2" travel like you can on the BigHit II. All the BigHit frames are the same, the only difference is that Specialized had a custom sized shock made for them (an 8.75" x 2.5") for the BigHit I and II, wheras the BigHit III has a standard-sized shock (an 8.75" x 2.75") with a longer stroke. All you have to do is get a 8.75" x 2.75" shock from Marzocchi, Fox, RockShox, etc., and you'll get the 8.2" travel. The length of the shock will not change, but the stroke will be longer than the stock shock.

And to FRFLcraig, the BigHit might be OK for all-mountain use, but it definately won't me brilliant. Specialized's best DH / FR rig is the Demo.
I'm 14 and I have actually managed to pedal my Demo up a mountain whilst keeping up with my dad on a Stumpjumper HT. I did have the ProPedal on full, and the Fork in the Floodgate mode, and I also raised my seat up. But it's really not that bad at all, even for someone like me. The Demo is slightly lighter than the BigHit and it pedals a little better too, but I don't think you should have much trouble with the BH at all.
i do the same thing it sucks i dont bother with propedal tho i used to be able to hang with guys who raced on my enduro now i am like a old man on my demo unless its downhill then it dominates so the demo is dsefinatly not a AM bike

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 0:54 Quote
On a similar note, guys, has anyone got an 09 Big Hit yet? If so, how do they compare to the 08? I'm hoping to get a tough bike for general DH and FR abuse late next year, but is it worth picking up the 09 or should I get an 08 bike?

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 4:29 Quote
i havent got it, but i saw it closely, and the bike is great...a german magazine tested it and sayied it was one of the best bike they have ever tested (consider that on the same test there was a Trek 88!) they sayied everything on the bike is perfect except the rims, keep the hubs, keep the spokes, just change the rims...

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 4:59 Quote
poozank wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
frhaydendh wrote:

i do the same thing it sucks i dont bother with propedal tho i used to be able to hang with guys who raced on my enduro now i am like a old man on my demo unless its downhill then it dominates so the demo is dsefinatly not a AM bike

No the Demo is definately not an AM bike, but if you are determined enough you CAN climb mountains with it, although you won't be breaking any speed records and you won't be able to stand up at the top.

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 5:05 Quote
i would not get the bighit 1. awful spec list. i would suggest to buy used 100%

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 5:10 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:

Yeah if possible try and get at least a BigHit II - it has a MUCH better spec for the price, and overall is a much nicer bike.

Posted: Dec 25, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
I had an 06 bighit 1 ..same difference as the 08

got it for 850$ brand new, then put some $ into it, and spent about 1900$ on it

it was a great first dh/fr bike ... its perfect for what you're looking for

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 1:31 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:

Yeah if possible try and get at least a BigHit II - it has a MUCH better spec for the price, and overall is a much nicer bike.
Yeah, the Big Hit II's spec list is much better, and it does look like a better bike overall.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 17:37 Quote
Does anyone know the weight of the 2008 bighit FSR 1?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022706
Mobile Version of Website