New Rider Hardware question?

PB Forum :: Beginners
New Rider Hardware question?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 10:23 Quote
Hey all. NOOB ( been 20 years since I rode last ) I bought a 2014 cannondale trail5 which so far I love however my wife has a road bike and its tough to use a MTN bike on the road as it is configured now. My question is and maybe its stupid, (I thought about getting a second set of rims for just road riding,) My bike has hydraulic disk brakes and I dont really understand what type of rotor I would need. I currently have Cannondale Helix 160 so would I need to get the same type or will any 160 rotor work ( or would it just be smarter to invest in new tires and just swap them out when needed, I know it would cost less but......) any help even if Snarky is appreciated.. Thanks!!!

Posted: Sep 25, 2015 at 14:17 Quote
Any rotors should work.

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 12:38 Quote
I also have a 2014 Cannondale Trail 5. I've used it for all sorts of riding. I am upgrading to a carbon fiber rig this coming spring however, I have used it plenty on roads and found it to be quite capable, maybe more so than actual true hardcore xc. Unless you are being competitive with your road riding I am not truly sure where the bike fails on the road. The bike comes with a lockout and that's typically what I use to when riding roads. The tires and wheels themselves are a good combo for roads and fire roads as they are not too knobby and have good rolling mass (obviously they aren't donuts like road bikes). The only fail I have found on this bike is its limitations with regards to low caliber brakes that cause brake fade and shoddy shifting under pressure. I looked at upgrading the bike to the components I wanted because I loved the feel of the frame, however my lbs suggested just upgrading the bike as a whole so that I am not sinking money into a frame that has limitations in design and ability.

Last thought, if you are looking to do mtb and road riding, I suggest buying a bike for both disciplines unless you go looking for more of a "cross" bike.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010660
Mobile Version of Website