How Fat Heavy is your fattiest and heaviest Mountain Biker Friend?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How Fat Heavy is your fattiest and heaviest Mountain Biker Friend?
Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 12:21 Quote
This is a serious question. I have friends that are around 250 pounds, and some even close to 300 pounds that want to get into Mountain Biking... I told them "don't bother until you drop about 400 pounds". I believe these All-Mountain Full Suspension Bike probably can't handle more than 200 lbs. I can't see bikes like my First-Gen Tracer or my Nomad Gen III holding up after even one ride if you are 250 pounds.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 14:15 Quote
Erich-von-Cartmann wrote:
This is a serious question. I have friends that are around 250 pounds, and some even close to 300 pounds that want to get into Mountain Biking... I told them "don't bother until you drop about 400 pounds". I believe these All-Mountain Full Suspension Bike probably can't handle more than 200 lbs. I can't see bikes like my First-Gen Tracer or my Nomad Gen III holding up after even one ride if you are 250 pounds.

Are you serious?

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 14:24 Quote
Are you serious?

This is a serious question.

Sounds pretty serious.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 16:39 Quote
dethmetul wrote:
Are you serious?

Sounds pretty serious.

For reals man! I don't think these things were meant to handle Fatties of 300 pounds.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 16:50 Quote
Yeah, don't let your friends have a way to lose weight or anything.

Douche.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 16:56 Quote
dethmetul wrote:
Are you serious?

Sounds pretty serious.

For reals man! I don't think these things were meant to handle Fatties of 300 pounds.

You're an idiot mate. I'm 255lbs and have been mountain biking since I was 280lbs. I don't beat up wheels and my suspension works fine. I'm sure everything would be way more fun when I lose another 50lbs but I can climb what I need to and can still shred on the way down. I ride whistler a few days a year and love it.
Typical skinny a55hole thinking he's better than the big boys. Encourage them to ride as much as they can and the weight will come off fast.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 17:52 Quote
mars-bar-man wrote:
Yeah, don't let your friends have a way to lose weight or anything.

Douche.

it's not being douche. It is just give them the real picture.

they just need to stop eating. All the positive reinforcement they have gotten has gotten them no where in life. Time for them to face reality and do the work!

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 17:59 Quote
MictheAussie wrote:
dethmetul wrote:
Are you serious?

Sounds pretty serious.

You're an idiot mate. I'm 255lbs and have been mountain biking since I was 280lbs. I don't beat up wheels and my suspension works fine. I'm sure everything would be way more fun when I lose another 50lbs but I can climb what I need to and can still shred on the way down. I ride whistler a few days a year and love it.
Typical skinny a55hole thinking he's better than the big boys. Encourage them to ride as much as they can and the weight will come off fast.

How am I the idiot? I was just wondering what these light bikes can handle. What the wheels can handle and what the suspension can handle.

I am sure you are a cool guy and all and not trying to start anything but don't be ashamed of being a fattie. Just accept it or don't accept it and do the work!

Also, No offense, but I would never let you ride any of my "horses" for fear you would break their legs. I have a 200 lb weight limit for my "horses" (aka bikes).

Also, I am my own biggest critique... I was a fattie myself just recently. Dropped 25 lbs in 2 months, and dropped another 15 pounds over the next 4 years after that. I have curbed my addiction to food. I am just now getting back into biking after a 12 year break... I tried to get back into it many times when I was a fattie.. but riding a bike with a lot of fat is no fun at all.. it was not till I dropped the weight where it made it fun again.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 18:00 Quote
Did not realize this was the Sensitive Women's Forum. Would it make all you cool kids if I feel better if I ignore reality and painted a pretty picture?

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 18:27 Quote
Maybe idiot was a bit harsh. Sorry. Not being sensitive but it's just a silly question.
Are your buddies gonna huck 10ft to flat? Then yes, they will kill bikes. Anyone will. But riding and enjoying trails then more power to them.
Like i said. I ride whistler a few times a year, this year on a brand new carbon trek session. I jump all the A-Line, Dirt Merchant, etc jumps and drops and the bike didn't miss a beat all day. In fact I'd say the 180lb Semenuk beat up his bike on the Joyride course more than I did. Weight has nothing to do with it.
Encourage those boys to ride. Give them a reason to want to get thin. You don't have any motivation watching football all day. A few good rides might change their lives.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 18:46 Quote
MictheAussie wrote:
Not being sensitive but it's just a silly question.
Are your buddies gonna huck 10ft to flat? Then yes, they will kill bikes. Anyone will. But riding and enjoying trails then more power to them.
Like i said. I ride whistler a few times a year, this year on a brand new carbon trek session. I jump all the A-Line, Dirt Merchant, etc jumps and drops and the bike didn't miss a beat all day. In fact I'd say the 180lb Semenuk beat up his bike on the Joyride course more than I did. Weight has nothing to do with it.
Encourage those boys to ride. Give them a reason to want to get thin. You don't have any motivation watching football all day. A few good rides might change their lives.

First of all, they are my friends and I know them better than you. I don't need to treat them like little girls, they are 35-45 years of age and old men and they know what they need to do, I don't need to give them Rosie O'Donnell Empowering women type speeches to motivate them. I was just wondering what type of weight these bikes can support.

So you think 300 lb is safe for say a Specialized Hardrock or Rockhopper?

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 18:58 Quote
I had a Hardrock for 5 years and it took anything I threw at it. Just had to true the wheels every couple of years. Great bike.
You don't have to tell them anything macho man. The riding will let them know.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 19:02 Quote
I'd go with idiot

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 19:15 Quote
MictheAussie wrote:
I had a Hardrock for 5 years and it took anything I threw at it. Just had to true the wheels every couple of years. Great bike.
You don't have to tell them anything macho man. The riding will let them know.

I guess they can start off on paved roads and fire roads. Even then, I am amazed these bikes can handle 300 pounds.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 19:16 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
I'd go with idiot

I would expect a woman to say that and call me that after I am just saying it like it is.

Also, it's impossible for me to be an Idiot. I have BSEE, and we are like the smartest guys in any University.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009628
Mobile Version of Website