Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 11:36 Quote
For all my Chromag 29er brothers & sisters, post your babies!

Here's my 2015 build:

2015 Chromag Rootdown Black

2015 Chromag Rootdown Black - cockpit

2015 Chromag Rootdown Black - Chris King

2015 Chromag Rootdown Black - headtube

2015 Chromag Rootdown Black - WTB KOM i25 with Rock Razor

2015 Chromag Rootdown Black - yokel yoke

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 12:38 Quote
^ Nice build!

You have to let me know how you like that tire combo, want that stem too but maybe further down the line. The kore one was cheap$

Glad to see this thread for Chromag lovers.

My Build:

Freshly built Chromag Rootdown Frame with a combo of Racface and Sram XO X1 and XX1 Drivetrain and 150mm of Fox 36 squish.
drivetrain
xx1
drivetrain
saddle

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 13:12 Quote
ridefreeride wrote:
^ Nice build!

You have to let me know how you like that tire combo, want that stem too but maybe further down the line. The kore one was cheap$

My Build:

Freshly built Chromag Rootdown Frame with a combo of Racface and Sram XO X1 and XX1 Drivetrain and 150mm of Fox 36 squish.

Chromag should just use your pics on their site for the blue, cause that's the first time I've seen that colour and thought it looked awesome. Did you shoot the pics yourself? In a studio, or the studio of photoshop? EDIT - just saw your profile, haha.

I actually don't like the black and orange graphics on mine that much. Almost wish it was just black. Wish I'd ended up with the grey, but my build is pretty timeless, so Im' not gonna feel too bad about it.

As for the tires, the rock razor and new nobbys rule. I'm on a lot of hardpacked clay stuff, with occassional rocks and I've love it. The grip on the back has been as good with the RockRazor as it was with the old Nobby Nic, but with WAY better sidewalls and lugs, which means cornering is way better. That said, I'm gonna put the Nic on the back and get a Hans Dampf for slop season. Gonna be slow(er) but pumped for that grip once the leaves fall. RockRazor won't be able to hang.

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
JesseE wrote:
ridefreeride wrote:
^ Nice build!

My Build:

Chromag should just use your pics on their site for the blue, cause that's the first time I've seen that colour and thought it looked awesome. Did you shoot the pics yourself? In a studio, or the studio of photoshop? EDIT - just saw your profile, haha.

I actually don't like the black and orange graphics on mine that much. Almost wish it was just black. Wish I'd ended up with the grey, but my build is pretty timeless, so Im' not gonna feel too bad about it.

As for the tires, the rock razor and new nobbys rule. I'm on a lot of hardpacked clay stuff, with occassional rocks and I've love it. The grip on the back has been as good with the RockRazor as it was with the old Nobby Nic, but with WAY better sidewalls and lugs, which means cornering is way better. That said, I'm gonna put the Nic on the back and get a Hans Dampf for slop season. Gonna be slow(er) but pumped for that grip once the leaves fall. RockRazor won't be able to hang.

Haha yea, there are like no photos of these bike online. I just bit the bullet and went for it. Im really happy for it.

Yea, Im a professional Product photographer for Jensonusa.com, A little studio sesh before riding her.

cool info about the tires. ill file that away. Almost all my local terrain is lose over hard so i might just stick with the maxxis options for now.

Hopefully we see a few more builds! I know my coworker built up a rad Wide Angle. I might post pics of it eventually once we decide to release the photos.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2015 at 13:32 Quote
[/Quote]

cool info about the tires. ill file that away. Almost all my local terrain is lose over hard so i might just stick with the maxxis options for now.

Hopefully we see a few more builds! I know my coworker built up a rad Wide Angle. I might post pics of it eventually once we decide to release the photos.[/Quote]

If it's loose on top the ol' Razors will probably have a hard time biting in. Have to say, though, it is surprising how confident you feel on them as they're basically bald, haha.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 6:31 Quote
That dark brown chromag saddle is mmmm mmm mmmmmmmmmmm.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:

Wish mine was that dark. Wouldn't go as well with the gum grips, though!

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 8:57 Quote
JesseE wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:

Yea the Chromag Trailmaster LTD has a real leather top. It should lighten over time and with use. I do prefer the Darker look though.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 9:42 Quote
ridefreeride wrote:
JesseE wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:

Yea the Chromag Trailmaster LTD has a real leather top. It should lighten over time and with use. I do prefer the Darker look though.

Bit inconsistent, which I guess is only natural for leather. Mine was never a chocolatey brown. Nonetheless, it's one of the nices looking saddles out there if you ask me. Chromag should do a leather grip that doesn't suck for MTB. One problem I find is that you have to oil it a fair amount, especially when it's hot and you're (literally) sweating your ass off, haha.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 10:26 Quote
JesseE wrote:
ridefreeride wrote:
JesseE wrote:

Bit inconsistent, which I guess is only natural for leather. Mine was never a chocolatey brown. Nonetheless, it's one of the nices looking saddles out there if you ask me. Chromag should do a leather grip that doesn't suck for MTB. One problem I find is that you have to oil it a fair amount, especially when it's hot and you're (literally) sweating your ass off, haha.

Yea, Leather can have different textures and appearances.

So far I really do like the saddle.

Leather grips? I don't know if id go for that but I might try it once. Ive tried the brooks bar tape though. it seemed nice, but I still prefer cork.

Anybody else out there have rad Chromags?

Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 4:48 Quote
Did any of you two weighted your frames before you assembled the bikes?

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 6:32 Quote
Janosch wrote:
Did any of you two weighted your frames before you assembled the bikes?

Not me. I'm think it's in the 6lb area though. Don't feel the frame weight is a major factor, and if you're looking at steel frames in this genre you're not gonna be able to save more than about half a pound, which is a quarter of a water bottle, haha.

Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 8:01 Quote
I'm not exactly concerned about weight; we are talking about big assed steel frames after all.
I was only curious where is Rootdown compared to other frames in this category.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 8:07 Quote
Janosch wrote:
I'm not exactly concerned about weight; we are talking about big assed steel frames after all.
I was only curious where is Rootdown compared to other frames in this category.

I think it's in the same realm as the Honzo, Trans AM etc. The surface is like a pound lighter I think, but also almost twice the price, haha. I should really try to lose a pound first!

Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 9:03 Quote
Not sure about the TransAM, but Honzo is more than a pound heavier than Rootdown in the same size as yours. In Europe Honzo is around 100 Euro cheaper than Rootdown, but even with slight price difference, it's a lot of steel.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/kona/1012350d1441081164-honzo-build-thread-post-your-builds-here-uploadfromtaptalk1441081160193.jpg

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022972
Mobile Version of Website