Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
It depends on each manufacturer. I believe OneUp has the lowest stack height. On my M\L frame I have a Fox Transfer and don't think I could go beyond the 150mm I have. Check any of the manufacturers and they should tell you the height and insertion depth minimums and you might be able to sort it out.
piman wrote:
So I'm 6'5" with a ~35" inseam. I'm gonna buy an XL Rootdown frame (of course), but I don't know how much dropper travel I can go. Anyone with similar measurements that can weigh in?

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
piman wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys! I hadn't heard about these threaded pressfit bbs before since all my bikes are threaded bbs. Seems like a really solid design! Gonna do some more digging, but I'm glad you guys saved me some coin rather than getting for the CK bb.

I have a CK hub on mine it’s been running great for two years with a couple cleanings and regressing. I’ve never had any issues with the pressfit on two different rootdowns

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
2017 British Racing Green Surface

I’ve been lurking for a while. This thread and the aggressive hardtail thread prompted me to tear down and sell a perfectly good Niner ROS9 when this frame showed up locally. Can’t wait to take it out on it’s maiden voyage. Full build details are in the aggressive hardtail thread. Thanks for the inspiration. Truly magnificent bikes in this thread.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
Dope ride, love the green!

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 19:08 Quote
That British racing green is the most prototypical colour of the Surface in my mind. Awesome looking bike!!!

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Dope ride, love the green!

SC38 wrote:
That British racing green is the most prototypical colour of the Surface in my mind. Awesome looking bike!!!

Thanks! The pictures really don’t do the color justice.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
That green Surface is dope! Was that a standard color or custom?

Question for the Chromag collective: I’ve been on my ‘16 surface now for about 3 years and love it. I have it dialed in with a 150mm Fox36 up front, carbon wheels, etc and it’s perfect for the majority of my local rides, mostly solo.
I feel like I’m pretty squarely in the intermediate category skill-wise and have progressed a ton the past few years. I’ve also had no real issues (and a ton of fun) riding Whistler, Squamish, Galbraith etc. but tend to seek out blues and blacks and avoid double blacks mostly.

Sometimes though, I ride with a few other locals on bigger full-sus bikes, better riders than me as well, so no surprise I’m not keeping up and being in my 40’s now I do get a bit beaten up trying to hang with the group. As a result, and I’m sure partly out of FOMO, I’ve started looking at some mid-travel 29’ers like the Smuggler, Norco Sight, etc. I really can’t imagine myself on anything bigger for my needs and usage.

I know, or at least assume, all modern bikes are amazing and climbing performance has come a long way, descending is great etc. Realistically though, what do I stand to gain by going full-suspension? Or what do I stand to lose as I would likely sell the Chromag and transfer over parts where feasible.

I read this thread (and others) and it does seem like there’s folks out there who get a hardtail/Chromag and their bigger bike hangs to gather dust.
Another option I’m considering is slacking out the surface a bit with an angleset, give me just a tad more confidence when the going gets steep..

I’m asking for opinions as I’ve never had a full suspension really. Rigid singlespeed, rigid geared, XC hardtail, Chromag was more or less the progression so far Smile

Thanks guys, appreciate any input!

PS. Sorry for the long post. TL;DR stick with Chromag hardtail or “upgrade” to full suspension and why?

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 20:48 Quote
I try to have one hardtail and one fully on hand. I grab the hardtail 80-90 % of the time. But. For bigger days the fully is hard to beat. There is something about going from one to the other. It seems I’m always excited and feel new bike stoke coming back to one or the other. If possible keep the hardtail and squeeze cash out of somewhere for a mid range squisher.

Both open up new lines on familiar trails. If you’ve never had a squisher its hard to say if you’ll be blown away with new variations, or feel like its dulled down everything spicy on the HT.....

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
The British Racing Green was a standard color in 2017. As for bike choices, I can’t speak to the benefits in BC or the PNW as I have never had the opportunity to ride there. The riding that we have in AZ is very different.

I personally have a few MTB’s and I tend to ride them interchangeably depending on the trail and the experience that I am looking for. My 6” travel full suspension gets the least amount of work. I ride the hardtail and mid travel (130 mm) full suspension the most.

In my opinion, having access to a full suspension and a hardtail is the way to go. I think that you would regret getting rid of the Chromag. I have built most of my bikes up on the cheap by purchasing used parts and doing my own labor. Buying a bike that is a couple of years old is also a good way to save a substantial amount of money.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
The pictures really don’t do the color justice.

True story. The sparkle in the sunshine must be seen in person. Not the most durable though in my experience; worth wrapping high wear areas,

Interesting combo of Aggressor F/R, don't see that too often. 2.5? Front is on backwards?

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I try to have one hardtail and one fully on hand. I grab the hardtail 80-90 % of the time. But. For bigger days the fully is hard to beat. There is something about going from one to the other. It seems I’m always excited and feel new bike stoke coming back to one or the other. If possible keep the hardtail and squeeze cash out of somewhere for a mid range squisher.

Both open up new lines on familiar trails. If you’ve never had a squisher its hard to say if you’ll be blown away with new variations, or feel like its dulled down everything spicy on the HT.....

listen to this guy.

Hardtails are great, but sometimes they're not, so if you don't have to, don't limit yourself one bike. I ride harder/bigger/faster on a squishy bike, but probably have the most smiles on my hardtail, make sense? haha

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 21:32 Quote
Zaeius wrote:
Ranger242 wrote:
The pictures really don’t do the color justice.

True story. The sparkle in the sunshine must be seen in person. Not the most durable though in my experience; worth wrapping high wear areas,

Interesting combo of Aggressor F/R, don't see that too often. 2.5? Front is on backwards?

I have wrapped most of the high risk areas but will be adding more. I bought the wheels with the tires already mounted. I like the aggressor on the rear but will run something more aggressive on the front when it wears out - and yes the front is on backwards. I thought about fixing it but the tread pattern seems to be similar enough that I didn’t want to go through the effort of dismounting and remounting it. I really dislike mounting and dismounting tubeless tires.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
JesseE wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

listen to this guy.

Hardtails are great, but sometimes they're not, so if you don't have to, don't limit yourself one bike. I ride harder/bigger/faster on a squishy bike, but probably have the most smiles on my hardtail, make sense? haha
I agree with Jesse here. The majority of the time a hardtail will suffice. For that remainder (and how sites convince us full squish is the way) it's nice to take on a squishy day. I have a Range and would love a Sight instead as my 6" bike just doesn't get used much these days.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
Well you guys are a ton of help haha! I agree, 2 bikes > 1 bike but then I kinda like being more of a minimalist (hence the hardtail in the first place) and I hate seeing a $3-4k bike hanging in the garage with minimal use.
I'll probably stick with the hardtail this summer and see if I can get a deal on a frame this fall when the new bikes start coming in, try to build it up on the cheaper end haha..

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
Well you guys are a ton of help haha! I agree, 2 bikes > 1 bike but then I kinda like being more of a minimalist (hence the hardtail in the first place) and I hate seeing a $3-4k bike hanging in the garage with minimal use.
I'll probably stick with the hardtail this summer and see if I can get a deal on a frame this fall when the new bikes start coming in, try to build it up on the cheaper end haha..

For sure! If you scour for take offs you can cobble together a fantastic deal for a fraction of new stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.043952
Mobile Version of Website