Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
Hey guys, been lurking in this thread for a while and finally will be joining the owners club soon when my surface frame shows up! Im doing a custom build and have pretty much decided on all my parts except the fork. I know I want to run 150mm of travel just Curious as to what all of you are running for suspension? And also any reasons to go coil over air spring?

Always the tuff choice, coils feel so good if your weight matches well with the spring rates and a little comp/dampening tweaking, but I like air up front due to the adjustability factor..... also a big fan of rock shox stuff primarily due to parts availability and ease of self service. But again its all so dependent upon ones personal preference/experience and terrain. I have tried a bunch of different brand forks and have settled back into rock shox simplicity....

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
I'm about 180-190 lbs riding weight, not sure what's out there for springs but I'd think I could find something if I wanted. I mostly ride xc single track with lots of short up hills and down hills so not sure if that makes a difference in fork choice?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 13:39 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
I'm about 180-190 lbs riding weight, not sure what's out there for springs but I'd think I could find something if I wanted. I mostly ride xc single track with lots of short up hills and down hills so not sure if that makes a difference in fork choice?

in that case I'd stick with air. slightly lighter weight. but that's just me.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
I'm running 150mm on my Surface and it's nice. I'm running a 36 Performance with GRIP1. Loving it. Was just at Alsea Falls this weekend and it tracked great. I actually have a 140mm air shaft for mine but don't know if I'll use it.
Pkemp227 wrote:
Hey guys, been lurking in this thread for a while and finally will be joining the owners club soon when my surface frame shows up! Im doing a custom build and have pretty much decided on all my parts except the fork. I know I want to run 150mm of travel just Curious as to what all of you are running for suspension? And also any reasons to go coil over air spring?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:

I decided to go with a 29” DVO Beryl for mine. I am running DVO Diamond forks on my other bikes and really like them. The Beryl is a Diamond with a simplified damper - 4 position vs separate hi/low compression and internal vs external adjustable “off the top” settings. I’m more of a set it and forget it rider so the less expensive fork with simplified settings meets my needs. For ride quality, it feels very similar to my Diamond forks.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
Sounds like a good option. Simple is good

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
Went out to Honeybee today. More of a flow XC ride but a nice change of pace.

Honeybee
Honeybee

Along the way, saw a cool flowering barrel cactus. Decided to stop try to shoot some creative pictures.

Bike Art
Bike Art

Bike Art
Bike Art

Bike Art
Bike Art

Bike Art
Bike Art

Bike Art
Bike Art

Bike Art
Bike Art

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 14:53 Quote
I've been looking at getting a Chromag ever since I heard of them and am now seriously looking at getting a Rootdown, although I would probably get it next year (no way I'll convince my parents to let me buy a second mountain bike in one season). I'm considering selling my commuter CX bike to cover the cost a bit, but that means I will have to commute with it (or my full sus which I have no problem commuting with). Its only about 1.5km each way.

Does anyone here commute with one and if so how is it?

Edit: clarified which one I am looking at, also plan on building it with 27.5 plus

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 22:28 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
I decided to go with a 29” DVO Beryl for mine. For ride quality, it feels very similar to my Diamond forks.

Great to hear, always wanted a Diamond but $ factor and realistically didn't need all the adjustments. I have a Beryl on the way for my Surface set at 160mm, though I feel I'll prefer it at 150mm. I'm on a Fox 34 performance right now at 140mm and the Surface is really snappy but still quite stable, I'm willing to trade some snap for a bit more travel

I just offloaded my Range 29 so I don't mind upforking the Surface a bit to get it geared a bit more towards the downs as it will be my one bike (aside from the park sled)

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I've been looking at getting a Chromag ever since I heard of them and am now seriously looking at getting a Rootdown, although I would probably get it next year (no way I'll convince my parents to let me buy a second mountain bike in one season). I'm considering selling my commuter CX bike to cover the cost a bit, but that means I will have to commute with it (or my full sus which I have no problem commuting with). Its only about 1.5km each way.

Edit: clarified which one I am looking at, also plan on building it with 27.5 plus

I commute with mine occasionally, a hilly ~10km each way. With the fork compression damping turned up it's fine, though the 29er Assegai tire is v slow on pavement... but comfortable peddling position and great fun hopping curbs and goofing about. If i was riding every day to work i'd consider a set of Maxxis Hookworms or similar

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
hdeb89 wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

I commute with mine occasionally, a hilly ~10km each way. With the fork compression damping turned up it's fine, though the 29er Assegai tire is v slow on pavement... but comfortable peddling position and great fun hopping curbs and goofing about. If i was riding every day to work i'd consider a set of Maxxis Hookworms or similar

I commute mine to work every shift. It's an easy 2.4km ride to the Brewery. I have DHF and DHR tires with DH casing and although slow rolling, I don't mind at all. It does just fine commuting. My only concern would be having it in a secure place once you get to your destination. I wouldn't be willing to lock mine to a pole on the street. I have bike parking in the brewery for employees.

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 19:17 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
hdeb89 wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

I commute mine to work every shift. It's an easy 2.4km ride to the Brewery. I have DHF and DHR tires with DH casing and although slow rolling, I don't mind at all. It does just fine commuting. My only concern would be having it in a secure place once you get to your destination. I wouldn't be willing to lock mine to a pole on the street. I have bike parking in the brewery for employees.

My fully that I occasionally commute on has DHF/DHR tires on, and I work at a bike shop so storing in a secure place is no problem. I'd probably just get Exo or Exo+ casing tires to save some weight

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
hdeb89 wrote:

My fully that I occasionally commute on has DHF/DHR tires on, and I work at a bike shop so storing in a secure place is no problem. I'd probably just get Exo or Exo+ casing tires to save some weight

Awesome. Yeah storage is really my only concern. Otherwise, my Rootdown is for slaying the mountains. So tire choice is aimed at the dirt not the street. It just happens to be comfortable to ride to work too. My fully is just too much bike to commute in my opinion.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

Hey, as you work at a bike shop, maybe you can even get your hands on a cheap but good quality set of used wheels with maxxis grifter or torch tires (they are much lighter than the hookworms suggested above). I did just that with my 2018 Kona Unit - Grifter 29ers for commuting in the 3 warmer seasons, and the stock WTB Ranger 27+ tires for the winter commute.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
wrote:
rynee wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

Hey, as you work at a bike shop, maybe you can even get your hands on a cheap but good quality set of used wheels with maxxis grifter or torch tires (they are much lighter than the hookworms suggested above). I did just that with my 2018 Kona Unit - Grifter 29ers for commuting in the 3 warmer seasons, and the stock WTB Ranger 27+ tires for the winter commute.

Unless you’ve got some good dirt on your commute, this is a solid idea.

Los

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016654
Mobile Version of Website