Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 23:04 Quote
Y'all the LBS hit me up with the 2020 Rootdown colors. Told them which one I wanted, and now my name is down for one. Now we wait for December.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
Any other changes to the 2020 Rootdown? That PF BB is having me considering RSD Middlechild instead, but that bike has $100 sliding dropouts. I already broke one of those on a different RSD bike when my rear mech exploded and ended up in the spokes. If only there was a Rootchild or a Middledown,

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
aciddrop wrote:
Any other changes to the 2020 Rootdown? That PF BB is having me considering RSD Middlechild instead, but that bike has $100 sliding dropouts. I already broke one of those on a different RSD bike when my rear mech exploded and ended up in the spokes. If only there was a Rootchild or a Middledown,

PF was my concern as well, but it seriously hasn’t been an issue for me at all. Fantastic frame

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 8:02 Quote
@lance-h that looks terrible. I think you should just send that bike to me and start over. Wink

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
aciddrop wrote:

PF was my concern as well, but it seriously hasn’t been an issue for me at all. Fantastic frame

Acid drop I went from a Rootdown to Middlechild and bonus for sure to have the threaded bb. Turns out I prefer the ride of the Middlechild. I’m 240lbs and ride aggressively with enough time spent off the ground and no issues with the dropouts to date on two MC frames.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
piman wrote:
Y'all the LBS hit me up with the 2020 Rootdown colors. Told them which one I wanted, and now my name is down for one. Now we wait for December.

What are the colors for 2020?

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 13:30 Quote
aflax wrote:
piman wrote:

What are the colors for 2020?

Idk if that's something I am of liberty to say Razz

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
Y'all I'm not crazy for wanting this 160mm hardtail? I ride in northeast Ohio, but I will move out west within like 5-7 years from now, and I just want something playful. I've talked to Sterling about it and he said that he loves how well the Rootdown climbs, and the I know geo will be fun to jump around and manual stupid shit.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
piman wrote:
Y'all I'm not crazy for wanting this 160mm hardtail?

So crazy is bad?! You're going to love it. Your buddies are going to try it and wonder if they need one too.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 19:36 Quote
piman wrote:
Y'all I'm not crazy for wanting this 160mm hardtail? I ride in northeast Ohio, but I will move out west within like 5-7 years from now, and I just want something playful. I've talked to Sterling about it and he said that he loves how well the Rootdown climbs, and the I know geo will be fun to jump around and manual stupid shit.
Crazy would not be wanting one! The new hardtails are fun as hell.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 21:46 Quote
piman wrote:

I bought a Rootdown from Beat Cycles in Lakewood. Then, when the upgrade bug bit, I splurged and bought a Surface from them. I think it's the perfect Northeast Ohio bike. It'll be fun on your local trails and still rally if you head to PA, WV, or NC. In my case, I'm in Grand Junction,CO now. It's still one of my favorite bikes and I ride it almost daily. As for the shop, you'll be hard pressed to meet more passionate riders than the guys at Beat. You won't regret it.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:16 Quote
Pedantic wrote:
piman wrote:

I bought a Rootdown from Beat Cycles in Lakewood. Then, when the upgrade bug bit, I splurged and bought a Surface from them. I think it's the perfect Northeast Ohio bike. It'll be fun on your local trails and still rally if you head to PA, WV, or NC. In my case, I'm in Grand Junction,CO now. It's still one of my favorite bikes and I ride it almost daily. As for the shop, you'll be hard pressed to meet more passionate riders than the guys at Beat. You won't regret it.

Yo, I'm actually buying it through Beat! Ryan is a super cool dude! He actually left Eddy's to start Beat a couple months before I started working at Eddy's back in high school!

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
Anyway, thanks guys, you make some great points. And if I hate it (I know I won't) I can always buy a different frame.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
Trust me you’re gonna be freakin

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
I'm loving all these Chromags. I decided that a Rootdown is going to be my new ride, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer. I just missed getting a nice 2017 M/L on the buy/sell. There is a 2016 BA on but it is a medium. I'm 5'10" (average arm/leg length) and look to be on the far end of the range for that size. Anyone else riding that size at my height? Just don't want the reach to be too short. Also wondering about what I could fit for tires out back. Thinking of going 29 and want to go big, but also considering a mullet. Thanks in advance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008255
Mobile Version of Website