Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Author Message
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
If you're considering mulleting it, that would make the medium even shorter than it currently is. If you're already on the bubble an M/L seems like the better option. 2017 and onward they started calling the rootdown 29/27+ compatible, and those frames are generally pretty roomy for tires. It says max 2.5 but you could probably go bigger

Hedgepig76 wrote:
I'm loving all these Chromags. I decided that a Rootdown is going to be my new ride, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer. I just missed getting a nice 2017 M/L on the buy/sell. There is a 2016 BA on but it is a medium. I'm 5'10" (average arm/leg length) and look to be on the far end of the range for that size. Anyone else riding that size at my height? Just don't want the reach to be too short. Also wondering about what I could fit for tires out back. Thinking of going 29 and want to go big, but also considering a mullet. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
piman wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
piman wrote:
Y'all I'm not crazy for wanting this 160mm hardtail? I ride in northeast Ohio, but I will move out west within like 5-7 years from now, and I just want something playful. I've talked to Sterling about it and he said that he loves how well the Rootdown climbs, and the I know geo will be fun to jump around and manual stupid shit.

I bought a Rootdown from Beat Cycles in Lakewood. Then, when the upgrade bug bit, I splurged and bought a Surface from them. I think it's the perfect Northeast Ohio bike. It'll be fun on your local trails and still rally if you head to PA, WV, or NC. In my case, I'm in Grand Junction,CO now. It's still one of my favorite bikes and I ride it almost daily. As for the shop, you'll be hard pressed to meet more passionate riders than the guys at Beat. You won't regret it.

Yo, I'm actually buying it through Beat! Ryan is a super cool dude! He actually left Eddy's to start Beat a couple months before I started working at Eddy's back in high school!
That's awesome. Mike and Ryan are such good guys. You're going to be stoked on the bike!!

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
Hedgepig76 wrote:
I'm loving all these Chromags. I decided that a Rootdown is going to be my new ride, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer. I just missed getting a nice 2017 M/L on the buy/sell. There is a 2016 BA on but it is a medium. I'm 5'10" (average arm/leg length) and look to be on the far end of the range for that size. Anyone else riding that size at my height? Just don't want the reach to be too short. Also wondering about what I could fit for tires out back. Thinking of going 29 and want to go big, but also considering a mullet. Thanks in advance.

I'm your same size and on a M/L 2016 Rootdown BA. The sizing is spot on. I think the rear tire clearance has been improved on later versions. I tried to put a Vittoria Goma 2.4 on the rear and it rubbed.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
Hedgepig76 wrote:
I'm loving all these Chromags. I decided that a Rootdown is going to be my new ride, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer. I just missed getting a nice 2017 M/L on the buy/sell. There is a 2016 BA on but it is a medium. I'm 5'10" (average arm/leg length) and look to be on the far end of the range for that size. Anyone else riding that size at my height? Just don't want the reach to be too short. Also wondering about what I could fit for tires out back. Thinking of going 29 and want to go big, but also considering a mullet. Thanks in advance.

M/L is what you are looking for. I'm and average 5'8" and enjoy the extra bit of space with the M/L, though the M was ok for me too.

I ride prefer 27.5 x 2.8/3.0 on the rear of my Chromags, the bit of extra cush really helps with the stiff steel frame. Climbing traction with an aired down 2.8/3.0 at ~14psi is pretty amazing. Just be aware of dropping the bb height

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Hedgepig76 wrote:
I'm loving all these Chromags. I decided that a Rootdown is going to be my new ride, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer. I just missed getting a nice 2017 M/L on the buy/sell. There is a 2016 BA on but it is a medium. I'm 5'10" (average arm/leg length) and look to be on the far end of the range for that size. Anyone else riding that size at my height? Just don't want the reach to be too short. Also wondering about what I could fit for tires out back. Thinking of going 29 and want to go big, but also considering a mullet. Thanks in advance.

I'm 5'11" on a 2019 M/L (Rootdown) with a 50mm stem and 780 bars. It feels good.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
Thanks for all the help in the replies to my post. Makes me bummed that I missed just what I was looking for at a good price. I'll keep waiting for the right frame to show up.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 15:40 Quote
Hey All. I just built this up. Size Large. I'm 6' with a 35 mm stem. Fits like a glove.

This forum 100% convinced me to get a Rootdown and after it's maiden voyage I understand now. '

Here's a few shots:
,

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
Ohhhhh shit! Damn. Now I want a Rootdown.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 5:23 Quote
jph406 wrote:
Hey All. I just built this up. Size Large. I'm 6' with a 35 mm stem. Fits like a glove.

This forum 100% convinced me to get a Rootdown and after it's maiden voyage I understand now. '

Here's a few shots:
,

Sweet rig!

We're about the same height, have you ever tried the bars lower? Mine are slammed to the headset with a small rise in the bars

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
JesseE wrote:
jph406 wrote:
Hey All. I just built this up. Size Large. I'm 6' with a 35 mm stem. Fits like a glove.

This forum 100% convinced me to get a Rootdown and after it's maiden voyage I understand now. '

Here's a few shots:
,

Sweet rig!

We're about the same height, have you ever tried the bars lower? Mine are slammed to the headset with a small rise in the bars

I might start pulling spacers and drop the stem height. Just love these bars though. There is a lot of experimenting left for me. Only one day out so far.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Yep just see how things feel for you. And enjoy

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 5:15 Quote
Size Large. I'm 6' with a 35 mm stem. Fits like a glove.


Yep, bullseye, 6'3", 40mm stem, Surface.

I was wondering the other day what an XL would feel like, but I can't imagine that it fits any better

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
Hard to go wrong... I appreciate the fact they offer a M/L... I’m just under 6’ and went that route with a 50 mil stem... easily could have gone either way and had a hard time deciding, but the M/L worked out to be a super playful choice for me. Climbs great, fast and poppy.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
I am just about 6'4" and arguably should be riding an XL frame but my large primer fits like a glove. Long enough to stay steady but still playful. I wouldn't change anything.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013862
Mobile Version of Website