Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 16:02 Quote
Anybody here have their Chromag as their only mtb? I have both my full sus and Rootdown posted for sale but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if I want to go full ht or full squish. Any comments or opinions? My other bike is an Evil Wreckoning LB

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 21:44 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
Anybody here have their Chromag as their only mtb? I have both my full sus and Rootdown posted for sale but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if I want to go full ht or full squish. Any comments or opinions? My other bike is an Evil Wreckoning LB
I ride both a 2017 Primer and a transition patrol. I can confidently say that if I could only have one I would take the Chromag any day. Sure it's not always as easy going, but I have found it is incredibly versatile. I cannot speak for everyone but for my riding style (which is a bit of everything) it has performed beautifully. Everything from long pedally days climbing to jumplines and tech trails. I definitely appreciate having the patrol there when I want it but if I really had to pick one for good I would take my chromag for sure.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 5:14 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:

Surface, only bike these days. Sure I want more toys, but I really enjoy the simplicity of a hardtail.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:

Added a FS bike to the rotation in May. Prior to that 3 years on a Surface then a Roodown BA. I'd have no problem keeping the Rootdown as my only bike.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
@pandalosi0 Ever since getting my Surface it's all I want to ride. I am definitely going to sell my Explosif. I would sell my Norco Range but I can't stomach losing so much money. Damn bike "standards"!

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 20:08 Quote
bigquotes
Pandalosi0 wrote:

My brand new surface is going to be my only ride for the foreseeable future. Keep in mind where I live a hardtail can do just fine as an only bike. I was concerned that the geo of the surface would feel cumbersome vs the 2014 transition bandit I have been on for the last 5 seasons, 3 degrees slacker, 40 mm longer wheelbase, etc. non of those concerns have come to light. All the angles work so well together that no matter what the situation up, down, or across flat the bike is awesome. The only area it gives up a bit vs old bike is rooty rutted climbs. I expected that but I also expect my technique to adapt too. I literally think about riding it all the freaking time.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 23:44 Quote
Agreed, slick looking bike.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 1:47 Quote
bcf811 wrote:
[QUOTE] The only area it gives up a bit vs old bike is rooty rutted climbs.

You could try a 27+ and/or cushcore in the rear tire to aleviate that concern.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
love the finish on that surface. That is a total longterm keeper

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:

Unless you count my fat bike, it's all I have, or need. Riding where I am is technical and steep, and it's great here. And I took it 'home' to Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton and it was happy there too!

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 16:15 Quote
Hedgepig76 wrote:
I'm loving all these Chromags. I decided that a Rootdown is going to be my new ride, but I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer. I just missed getting a nice 2017 M/L on the buy/sell. There is a 2016 BA on but it is a medium. I'm 5'10" (average arm/leg length) and look to be on the far end of the range for that size. Anyone else riding that size at my height? Just don't want the reach to be too short. Also wondering about what I could fit for tires out back. Thinking of going 29 and want to go big, but also considering a mullet. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 16:17 Quote
I’m 6 and I’m on a m/l 2017 Rootdown
And I’m happy with the fit. It was recommended by chromag and a couple people I know that ride them. I’d contact chromag, ask for Seb Bunney, he might have a demo or a show bike around they would discount.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
JesseE wrote:
love the finish on that surface. That is a total longterm keeper

Thanks! Without a doubt long term.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 20:24 Quote
rynee wrote:
bcf811 wrote:
[QUOTE] The only area it gives up a bit vs old bike is rooty rutted climbs.

You could try a 27+ and/or cushcore in the rear tire to aleviate that concern.

Thanks for the tip. Buddy of mine has an extra set of 27+ wheels I am going to try out at some point.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010271
Mobile Version of Website