Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
It really ties the room together. Very nice.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
chezotron wrote:
It really ties the room together. Very nice.
Thanks! Here is a better pic from todays ride.

photo

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
Hey Chromagnons, I’m building up another Rootdown (2018 frame) and wondering if anyone has encountered this. My previous Chromags have all been 29ers, and this time I’m going 27.5 plus. I just mocked the build up and noticed the tire is fitting pretty tight on the drive side. I’m running 45 ID rims when 2.8 Rekons. Just wondering if this clearance will be sufficient to avoid frame rub? I have heard some people dishing their wheels, but hoping to avoid that. Maybe it is just the shape of the yokel? The non drive side has a pile of clearance. The tire is running straight in line with the Center line of the frame.

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 22:09 Quote
You could dish it. I've had way less clearance on bikes before and a little rub isn't so bad. Just paint. I imagine 2.8 tires flex and move quite a bit so not sure its completely avoidable?

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 6:39 Quote
r-a-w wrote:
Hey Chromagnons, I’m building up another Rootdown (2018 frame) and wondering if anyone has encountered this. My previous Chromags have all been 29ers, and this time I’m going 27.5 plus. I just mocked the build up and noticed the tire is fitting pretty tight on the drive side. I’m running 45 ID rims when 2.8 Rekons. Just wondering if this clearance will be sufficient to avoid frame rub? I have heard some people dishing their wheels, but hoping to avoid that. Maybe it is just the shape of the yokel? The non drive side has a pile of clearance. The tire is running straight in line with the Center line of the frame.

photo

photo

I get a similar spacing with 29x2.35 tires so I think that’s just the way it goes. FWIW I’ve never noticed rub but I was running pretty stiff carbon wheels. I have recently rebuilt the Rootdown with a mix of parts and now running alloy wheels with 29x2.3 and haven’t noticed it much either.

I’m going to borrow a buddy’s plus wheelset to try at some point but I’ve never run 27.5+, so hopefully it fits about the same.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
r-a-w wrote:

Hey
When you write 'mocked', does it mean that your tires are maybe not inflated properly yet? I'm asking cos my 27+ setup looked similarly when I first tried my wheels, which at that point were not inflated yet, the tubeless setup still needed some final touches. Once that was settled, and the tires inflated to 1.8 bars, the clearance was much better.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
rynee wrote:
r-a-w wrote:
Hey
When you write 'mocked', does it mean that your tires are maybe not inflated properly yet? I'm asking cos my 27+ setup looked similarly when I first tried my wheels, which at that point were not inflated yet, the tubeless setup still needed some final touches. Once that was settled, and the tires inflated to 1.8 bars, the clearance was much better.

Good thought, but the tires are inflated. It may not rub so I’ll give it a shot and see what up. I’m 240lbs and like me some off camber hits so it will be tested lol. Worst case scenario it will give me a reason to grab a 29 wheelset.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 12:01 Quote
r-a-w wrote:

Good thought, but the tires are inflated. It may not rub so I’ll give it a shot and see what up. I’m 240lbs and like me some off camber hits so it will be tested lol. Worst case scenario it will give me a reason to grab a 29 wheelset.

I bought a 27x 2.6 minion dhf as backup in case the 2.8 dhf wouldn't fit, but didn't need it in the end.

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
Rootdown BA Rebuild

Rootdown Reborn. After I transferred most/all of my original build to my Evil, I spent this summer acquiring second hand/budget components to build the Rootdown back up. I ended up with a pretty awesome hardtail which I can also mount a Yepp seat so I can bring along my toddler. The plan is to eventually (maybe?) build this up with a 27.5+ wheelset and have that option too, especially for junky conditions.

Yesterday I took off the Mavic Charge from the rear as it was the grippiest (but slowest) rear tire I have ever used; but I am really liking it on the front for fall/early winter conditions. I also detonated the SunRace 12speed derailleur on a ride so thats been replaced with a used and abused GX Eagle.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 19:39 Quote
Hi all!

I went to Chromag headquarters last week to demo a Surface Ti! First of all the staff is awesome and they provided a perfect customer service and even took time to show me on Trailfork which trails I should ride!

I live and ride mostly North Van trails and the shore... I never thought that an hardtail would be so fun on these gnarly trails! Uphill is a f*cking beast, so fast, so precise, so efficient! Downhill it s a precision tool, super efficient but don t miss your line! My usual bike is a Transition Patrol so quite a gap between those 2 bikes! I wanna try the steel before deciding if I go for Ti or steel frame.... It s was my first Titanium ride and it s magical! Light, fast and tolerant.... and so fancy!
Got a bunch of good pics to share but can t finf how to attach them...
Thanks again Chromag people for your bike and the way you treat your customers!

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
I would love to make it to their headquarters some day. Hardtail mecca!

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
I'm trying to transition to a FS bike as my primary bike and its lack of 'jump' and less responsiveness while climbing has been the most difficult transition for me

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
I'm trying to transition to a FS bike as my primary bike and its lack of 'jump' and less responsiveness while climbing has been the most difficult transition for me

yeah, it's just not the same. That said, bad landings and traction over lumps kinda makes up for it, ha ha

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
ronufoh wrote:

This is where I find myself. I’m not a jumper per say and while I a appreciate the forgiveness of coming up short on the FS I find I often just dont need it on the HT cause I can actually pop off and clear stuff lol

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
ronufoh wrote:

This is where I find myself. I’m not a jumper per say and while I a appreciate the forgiveness of coming up short on the FS I find I often just dont need it on the HT cause I can actually pop off and clear stuff lol

No one should have to pick one bike for everything, unless they only have one mood.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033467
Mobile Version of Website