Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Author Message
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
Living here North Van it s perfect to have 2 bikes! The Patrol is awesome but obviously more gravity and enduro oriented. You can ride Whistler bike park and pedal 35 kms the next with the same bike! The Chromag will be here for winter rides or more trail rides or to build my skills on the Shore! What a funny experience to ride black or double black with the Surface. You gotta choose better lines, be more precise.... that makes you ride better! And what a great feeling to clear those challenging lines on a hardtail! Yo make a long story short: more fun and efficiency on flat and uphill section, more challenging but more satisfying on DH sections...

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 16:47 Quote
I was considering selling my 152 29 process a couple weeks ago and just having the rootdown.... but that passed.... I like all the bikes.... about to start a Kona Unit SS build for city jammin in the next couple months... I am a fool....

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
I posted a question about if anybody out there is totally or think they could be totally happy with their Chromag as their only mtb. I have been pondering this for a while now as I'd like to add a grave/commuter to the mix and I really only have storage space for 2 bikes. I even posted both my Rootdown and Evil Wreckoning for sale just out of curiosity. I have been spending lots of time on my Roodown lately and each ride I become more confident about selling the big bike and going full HT for a while. For the first time in a few weeks I rode my Wreckoning and could not stop smiling the whole ride. They are both too much fun! I can't sell either one and may be picking up my daily driver tomorrow lol

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I was considering selling my 152 29 process a couple weeks ago and just having the rootdown.... but that passed.... I like all the bikes.... about to start a Kona Unit SS build for city jammin in the next couple months... I am a fool....

I sold my Kona Unit SS a couple months ago. Man that was a fun bike. Had a great time screwing around on the trails and around town.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 18:56 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I was considering selling my 152 29 process a couple weeks ago and just having the rootdown.... but that passed.... I like all the bikes.... about to start a Kona Unit SS build for city jammin in the next couple months... I am a fool....

I sold my Kona Unit SS a couple months ago. Man that was a fun bike. Had a great time screwing around on the trails and around town.


Ooooo good to know I definitely think it’d be a hoot around town

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 23:50 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I was considering selling my 152 29 process a couple weeks ago and just having the rootdown.... but that passed.... I like all the bikes.... about to start a Kona Unit SS build for city jammin in the next couple months... I am a fool....

I bought a 2018 unit a few months back (used) and added a 29er wheelset with maxxis grifter tires, and changed the gear ratio to 40x15 for commuting. My daily commute to work is 2 x 10km. The bike is really nice for that purpose. The tires are on the hefty side though, they might have to go soon. Previously I was on a 26er Explosif single speed, with lighter smaller tires, and the unit is still about 5 mins faster on the 10k.
In winter (or if I want to go off road) I plan to use the stock 27.5 wtb wheelset.
The unit is also used as a kids hauler (seat on the rack and trailer attached to the qr axle). It's great that the bike has a lot of braze ons for racks, panniers, fenders etc.
So long story short, I can wholeheartedly recommend the unit for commuting. Enjoy as many bikes as you can Smile

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
Funny the grifter is the tire I have in mind.... didn’t see a foldable choice on those? Just wire bead.... but seems to be the widest street variety

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Funny the grifter is the tire I have in mind.... didn’t see a foldable choice on those? Just wire bead.... but seems to be the widest street variety

Yeah, only wire bead iirc. True, 29x2.5 is the widest I found as well. I think they weigh 850g in that size.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
rynee wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Funny the grifter is the tire I have in mind.... didn’t see a foldable choice on those? Just wire bead.... but seems to be the widest street variety

Yeah, only wire bead iirc. True, 29x2.5 is the widest I found as well. I think they weigh 850g in that size.


Not horrific

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Not horrific

Agreed

Just in case, I bought a 700x47c maxxis Re-fuse, AFAIK it is available only oem in that width. I haven't tried it yet.

Neither of these tires is tubeless compatible, unfortunately.

BTW a 29x2.0 version of the grifter is available in a folding bead version, weighing 655g

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
Ooo that might be good... wish swchibble schwabble made the table top in 29 x 2.35

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 0:43 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ooo that might be good... wish swchibble schwabble made the table top in 29 x 2.35

Hehehe

Fwiw the maxxis Re-fuse in 700x40c is available on foldable tubeless ready flavor

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 7:59 Quote
Another bruiser just built up. Super impressed with the quality of the new One Up dropper. Remote is made of aluminum now and feels amazing. I couldn’t fit a 150 Reverb on this frame for my height.. yet somehow the 170 One Up fits..super Low stack height!


Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
[Quote="r-a-w"]Another bruiser just built up. Super impressed with the quality of the new One Up dropper. Remote is made of aluminum now and feels amazing. I couldn’t fit a 150 Reverb on this frame for my height.. yet somehow the 170 One Up fits..super Low stack height!

[/Quote

That handlebar looks so good!

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
[Quote="jph406"]
r-a-w wrote:
Another bruiser just built up. Super impressed with the quality of the new One Up dropper. Remote is made of aluminum now and feels amazing. I couldn’t fit a 150 Reverb on this frame for my height.. yet somehow the 170 One Up fits..super Low stack height!

[/Quote

That handlebar looks so good!

Thanks! I thought 825mm would be pushing it for trail riding, but now I can’t go narrower lol.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010882
Mobile Version of Website