Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 21:44 Quote
Pedantic wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a magic gear to run the Surface single speed?

Perhaps a half link chain if your close?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:03 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a magic gear to run the Surface single speed?

Perhaps a half link chain if your close?

If not, you could try running a narrow wide front ring and narrow wide cog (absolute black produce those with 16, 18, 20 teeth, https://www.hibike.com/absolute-black-singlespeed-kassetten-ritzel-schwarz-pef2abf6b7673657205d4acb66b4472ff) if the resulting gearing ratio suits you. That might work as well.

Or, obviously, you can use a chain tensioner, like the "sb one" which lacon used during rampage, or something along the line:

https://www.hibike.com/find-products-brands-and-more-mg-1--1?query=Kettenspanner

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
Those SB chain tensioners look legit. First one I've seen that inspires confidence. Ridng ss puts so much pressure on the drivetrain I would have never trusted old options like surly singulator. A solid tension actually sounds like the best option for ss as you maintain exact geo and dont have to worry about having to retention the dang thing as time goes on.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Those SB chain tensioners look legit. First one I've seen that inspires confidence. Ridng ss puts so much pressure on the drivetrain I would have never trusted old options like surly singulator. A solid tension actually sounds like the best option for ss as you maintain exact geo and dont have to worry about having to retention the dang thing as time goes on.

Yes, I agree. The price is no joke, but it seems they are worth the investment. Sb one also sell cogs and spacers. Www.sbonebikeparts.com. Made in Germany.

Also agree on your other point. I run my steel honzo single speed since almost two years. As you say, the geo is a bit of a moving target, because dropouts have to be moved back to compensate the chain stretch, which is considerable especially with a new chain.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
JesseE wrote:

I have tried the instigator on several different builds, along with Fortes version and a dmr one. They all suck. As soon as you try to really grind and put the hammer down they skip or waggle and you want to go poop on something

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
JesseE wrote:

I have tried the instigator on several different builds, along with Fortes version and a dmr one. They all suck. As soon as you try to really grind and put the hammer down they skip or waggle and you want to go poop on something

Yeah, the instigator is shit (although looks cool). I'll always remember being in front of a car as the light turned green, I went to hammer it and then my wheel went sideways. Thoroughly uncool.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 7:31 Quote
Didn’t seem to matter which direction tension spring either, I tried both up and down ... two thumbs down

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Didn’t seem to matter which direction tension spring either, I tried both up and down ... two thumbs down

Sounds like the downside of the sliding dropouts is acceptable Smile

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
rynee wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Sounds like the downside of the sliding dropouts is acceptable Smile
Definitely. It's the only thing I feel is missing from the Chromags. I liked that I could adjust my dropouts on my Kona. Playful one day, stable the next. Plus, if you want to go ss it's easy.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 10:10 Quote
chezotron wrote:
Definitely. It's the only thing I feel is missing from the Chromags. I liked that I could adjust my dropouts on my Kona. Playful one day, stable the next. Plus, if you want to go ss it's easy.

Totally agree!
Any chance that chromag offers customizabilty in the Form of paragon sliding dropouts?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
rynee wrote:
chezotron wrote:

Totally agree!
Any chance that chromag offers customizabilty in the Form of paragon sliding dropouts?
Anyone with enough money can always get what they want. Maybe reach out to them if you're serious. Ian [the owner] has always gotten back to me quickly with any questions. I'm certain any of the framebuilders knows how to play well with those dropouts.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
chezotron wrote:
Anyone with enough money can always get what they want. Maybe reach out to them if you're serious. Ian [the owner] has always gotten back to me quickly with any questions. I'm certain any of the framebuilders knows how to play well with those dropouts.

Yeah that makes sense Smile I'm afraid i have enough bikes for the next decade, but you never know what life has in store...

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
Sliders would send them over the edge. As stated above the Kona dropouts are the best Ive had.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 21:02 Quote
rynee wrote:
Totally agree!

Before everything went all boosty, Chromag had already solved this problem quite elegantly.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 3:30 Quote
Loudpawlz wrote:
Before everything went all boosty, Chromag had already solved this problem quite elegantly.

Sweet! Yes I think I saw those in the chromag behind brand article on nsmb. Cheers!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009774
Mobile Version of Website